World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mtarail
Art Expert

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Funny that the conversation turned to rums. I was just thinking about them. The Crown Royal hand selected barrel is quite good, but it reminds me more of rum than a bourbon. Super sweet up front, and then it hits you with some black pepper and a little cinnamon.

I've been trying Evan Williams single barrel for the past 4 years, and the 2006 version out now is by far my favorite. If I was blind tasting this I'd probably guess it was a Woodford. It has that same green apple flavor up front.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 am

jrsheppa wrote:Got in some serious samples today.
can you tell me about that Supernova?
Sought-after mainly because it's so limited?
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:11 am

padelimike wrote:The Glenlivet 15 is my favorite "commercial" Scotch.

It is called the "French Oak" version, and has a completely different flavor profile than the 12 or the 18YO.

Similarly, with The MacAllan, their 10, 15 and 17YO appellations are the "Fine Oak" line, and differ from the standard 12 and pricey 18YO in much the same way the two The Glenlivet lines differ from each other.

I love the 10 and 15YO The MacAllan too.
Good info. I ended up getting the Glenlivet set but have only dipped into the 18, so I'm interested to do a side by side with the other years.
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:17 am

Tried the private selection at The Duck Inn (for the Chicago cats) of the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Man, that stuff is THE TRUTH.

Glad there are still some $50 dollar gems like this that can still be found on the shelves... Makes it easier to accept I may not see something like Weller 12 yr in the wild ever again.
rockbridge
Art Expert

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Found a bottle of Blanton's today :D
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:13 pm

padelimike wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:Got in some serious samples today.
can you tell me about that Supernova?
Sought-after mainly because it's so limited?
Not really. More because it concludes Ardbeg's space related releases. And it's the last of the supernova series (Stellar in 2009, SN2010, SN2014, and SN2015). The other space release was Galileo in 2012.

Also the juice is pretty good. I haven't had the 09 or 10, but the 15 is substantially better than the 14. And these are uber peated Ardbegs, in the same level of competition with Bruichladdich's Octomore series. People seem to love and go nuts for ultra peated scotches.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:34 am

How is Monkey Shoulder?
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I love the packaging on the ridiculously priced whiskys. this one is only $999
John Walker & Sons Odyssey Scotch Whisky

Crafted by Master Blender Jim Beveridge, this is the first ever triple malt Scotch whisky from the House of Walker.

"The Odyssey is bottled at 80 proof in a minimalist diamond-faceted crystal decanter mounted in a silver gyroscopic ring that ensures that the nautically themed decanter always rests upright. Thus, Beveridge has literally achieved the perfect balance with this extraordinary whisky, which joins the House of Walker’s rarest Scotch blends."
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:52 pm

electrachrome wrote:I love the packaging on the ridiculously priced whiskys. this one is only $999
John Walker & Sons Odyssey Scotch Whisky

Crafted by Master Blender Jim Beveridge, this is the first ever triple malt Scotch whisky from the House of Walker.

"The Odyssey is bottled at 80 proof in a minimalist diamond-faceted crystal decanter mounted in a silver gyroscopic ring that ensures that the nautically themed decanter always rests upright. Thus, Beveridge has literally achieved the perfect balance with this extraordinary whisky, which joins the House of Walker’s rarest Scotch blends."
And Johnnie Walker Swing Scotch is less than $60.
Fronted by a Cardhu Malt, it was introduced in the early 1930s, and mainly available at duty-free shops for the past 50 or so years.
Also designed to remain upright during ocean swells, and quite delicious.

and yes, this is my very first original .gif
smokeycat
Art Expert

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Speaking of ocean, just picked these up for the same price. Interested in seeing which empties first. Any guesses? The ocean is voyage #4. :lol: ^^that bottle. Can not imagine drinking on seas rough like that! I would be filling casks not emptying them.
ImageImageImage
bmd1191
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Merry Christmas to me!

electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:02 pm

smokeycat wrote:Image
I tried both last night at a tasting at Wollaston Wine & Spirits in Quincy.
the Groth Cask finished wasn't as fruity as I feared. It has a nice complexity without being overwhelmed by any one flavor. I was unimpressed by the Ocean. It didn't have much character profile at all. Hello and good bye in the same sip, but it did have some kick, if that's what your looking for. The buy of the night was Wollaston's own reserve cask of Jeffersons. It's very sweet bourbon that just left a smile on my face, probably the sweetest I've ever tasted. I consider it a bargain at $45 and the rep said it's aged for 17 years.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Hey all, going to a party at a friend's this weekend and he likes whiskey, so I wanted to bring some, but am basically lost. I kind of zone out when he talks about what he likes, though I know he likes single malts, and I think he's partial to some of the stuff coming out of America - he seems to like unique/weird stuff. And that's about all I got - I don't need anything that's going to blow his mind, but what's something that's good that I'm also going to probably find in stock at a decent liquor store (obviously I see a ton of stuff in this thread, but it all seems to be über limited)? Just a decent gift is all I'm looking for. Under $100 would be nice, but not critical.

And I'm sure y'all are going to come back with a bunch of specific questions and I'm almost certainly not going to have any answers :D
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Just a decent gift is all I'm looking for. Under $100
~$35
Danno1 wrote:Image
Woodford Double Oaked (like the one on the right) ~$55 * that's the single barrel, you wont find that one but the reguler double oaked is fantastic
cadeallaw wrote:Still my favorites:
either of these (Less than $50/bottle)
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Awesome, thank you. Is there anything worth picking up with decent availability at a higher price point? For commensurate gift giving purposes I was trying to be closer to $100 (but can always pick up two bottles of there isn't a decent return to spending a little bit more :D )