World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Bryman wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 pm
The 12 year, Full Proof, Stagg Jr and Elmer are the four main bottles on my list. Plenty of other stuff I’m on the lookout for, but those four are the main ones(not counting the obvious stuff like Pappy and the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection).
Just grabbed one of these today (haven't tried it yet, will tomorrow). Now I'm just missing the Single Barrel and CYPB. Was supposed to grab the CYPB today but it already sold out so this was my consolation prize.

Still haven't tried Stagg or Stagg Jr. yet. They're both on my list. How do you feel about Bookers? I've heard they're good and bought 3 different bottles of there's and I'm not impressed. Probably won't buy another bottle.

Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm
Dang he's gouging you! I paid $33 for the 12 and $40 for the Elmer
No, California is gouging me. Those prices are, by a margin, the cheapest I’ve found in CA. I’ve seen that 12 year go for $300 out here. I’ve had trouble finding places that get the rare stuff that can actually ship to California so my working theory is that we’re kind of in a captive market so everything that’s rare at all is marked up significantly out here. I could be dead wrong, but friends of mine in other states have no issues finding retail prices on the rare stuff like you. Just one more reason I’m trying to escape this place.

That’s great to hear regarding your ranking. Glad to know I got the best one checked off my list :clap:
Last edited by Bryman on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:24 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:03 pm
How do you feel about Bookers? I've heard they're good and bought 3 different bottles of there's and I'm not impressed. Probably won't buy another bottle.
I actually haven’t tried Bookers yet. I see it around regularly, but I haven’t heard much in the way of recommendations or praise so I haven’t been compelled to pick up a bottle yet.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:29 pm

By the way, is there anything you can compare the Elmer to? I’m really curious.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:56 pm

Bryman wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:20 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
Dang he's gouging you! I paid $33 for the 12 and $40 for the Elmer
No, California is gouging me. Those prices are, by a margin, the cheapest I’ve found in CA. I’ve seen that 12 year go for $300 out here. I’ve had trouble finding places that get the rare stuff that can actually ship to California so my working theory is that we’re kind of in a captive market so everything that’s rare at all is marked up significantly out here. I could be dead wrong, but friends of mine in other states have no issues finding retail prices on the rare stuff like you. Just one more reason I’m trying to escape this place.

That’s great to hear regarding your ranking. Glad to know I got the best one checked off my list :clap:
Yeah, California and New York will rob you blind in regards to taxes. Don't let the pictures fool you. I've been more into whiskey just this year and these are the first 12 and Full Proof bottles I've seen. Got the OWA a few months back. They're tough in my area as well but I shop at a chain and so they don't mark up the prices.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Bryman wrote:
Maybe Blanton's but it's hard to say. I'm trying to ration it so I didn't have much of it but it is good (not a lot of spice or burn, which I prefer). Smooth and not overly strong at 90 proof.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
They're tough in my area as well but I shop at a chain and so they don't mark up the prices.
I do too for the most part, but they generally don’t get the rare stuff at my chains and if they do you have to be in line before they open on the right day. You’re kind of forced to shop the mom and pops for the hard to finds.
Irishman12 wrote:
Maybe Blanton's but it's hard to say. I'm trying to ration it so I didn't have much of it but it is good (not a lot of spice or burn, which I prefer). Smooth and not overly strong at 90 proof.
I know that game well lol. I’m nursing my last bottles of Blanton’s and Antique right now. Can’t wait to find a bottle of that Elmer.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Bryman wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
They're tough in my area as well but I shop at a chain and so they don't mark up the prices.
I do too for the most part, but they generally don’t get the rare stuff at my chains and if they do you have to be in line before they open on the right day. You’re kind of forced to shop the mom and pops for the hard to finds.
Irishman12 wrote:
I know that game well lol. I’m nursing my last bottles of Blanton’s and Antique right now. Can’t wait to find a bottle of that Elmer.
It's all about the chase, right? My store opens at 10am and I'm usually there 5 minutes before closing and one of the first one's there. I've been VERY lucky these past 2 days as this is not typical! First time I'm seeing any of these bottles, but they only put out so many person day so I grab what I can 1 day and go back the next.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 pm

At this point I don’t mind paying *a little* more not to have to chase things lol. They did get some Hibiki recently at Total Wine so picked a bottle up then went back for the second. First ones already gone :pint:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 pm

That's where I got all of these, Total Wine. Tried the Full Proof today and I really liked it. My updated ranking for Weller are: 1) 107 2) Full Proof 3) 12 4) Special Reserve

But I DEFINITELY wouldn't pay secondary prices for these. The 12 you can find for $120-$150 but I've seen the Full Proof from anywhere form $600-$800. I don't think any alcohol is worth that price!
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:28 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 pm
The 12 you can find for $120-$150 but I've seen the Full Proof from anywhere form $600-$800. I don't think any alcohol is worth that price!
Agreed.
playa787
Art Expert

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 am

Well this thread is long as hell for me to wander into it. So I ask of you whiskey connoisseurs, whats your top five whiskeys?(realistic ones preferably, not the $300 bottle you tried once). Maybe if I compare the top five of a few of you folks I can get a good consensus, and get some good ideas. Anything goes; rye, irish, bourbon, blended, japanese, whatever. Cheers!
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Bryman wrote:
there is a swath of Buffalo Trace bourbons that uses the same (or quite similar) mash bill. Variances might be the type of yeast, time aged & wharehouse location, but there are several like ETL that they offer. I think they all use a % of wheat in the mix, so they have a sweeter flavor profile.
Rock Hill Farms
OWA (Old Weller Antique 107)
Eagle Rare
Blantons

From other distilleries:
Rowen's Creek
Noah's Mill (especially the dusty old wax tops!!)
Rebel Yell (10 Year single barrel) *not the cheep bottom shelf label

I highly recommend Old Forester 1910 (& 1920 for higher proof)
not as keen on the others in the vintage line
morecoffee
Art Expert

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Bryman wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm
Oh, way more. I think reserve is fine, but for the minimal $35 I pay for it there’s better bottles. The Antique is probably in my top 5. I would have made the exact same call on the 12 though man. That’s part of the reason I passed on the Full Proof. My guy had it priced at $118 and he sells the 12 for $150 when he has it in stock. I’ve heard for the price difference, just go with the 12 so I let the Full Proof go.
Dang he's gouging you! I paid $33 for the 12 and $40 for the Elmer, which I just tried and it's delicious! As of now, from what I've tried in Weller, I'd rank them:

1) OWA
2) 12
3) Special Reserve
I just picked up Stagg Jr. and a bottle of Elmer T. Lee last week. The Stagg Jr. ran me $85 and clocks in at over 130 proof.
I got lucky with the Elmer T. Lee... finding it...not the price. Jersey is tough. It really is excellent though.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:12 pm

playa787 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 am
Well this thread is long as hell for me to wander into it. So I ask of you whiskey connoisseurs, whats your top five whiskeys?(realistic ones preferably, not the $300 bottle you tried once). Maybe if I compare the top five of a few of you folks I can get a good consensus, and get some good ideas. Anything goes; rye, irish, bourbon, blended, japanese, whatever. Cheers!
In no particular order:

Bourbon
  • EH Taylor Small batch
  • Blanton’s
  • Weller Antique
  • Noah’s Mill
  • Russell’s Single Barrel
Rye
  • Pikesville
  • Woodinville
Japanese
  • Nikka Pure Malt
  • Hibiki
Those are my current favorites. Cheers :cheers: