World of Whiskey

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1413
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Maybe try some Crown Royal. They sell a lot of whiskey because it's actually good and very approachable.
stay thirsty my friends
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Danno1 wrote:Maybe try some Crown Royal. They sell a lot of whiskey because it's actually good and very approachable.
Thanks!
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 am

Vorpel wrote:
Danno1 wrote:Maybe try some Crown Royal. They sell a lot of whiskey because it's actually good and very approachable.
Thanks!
There are quite a few different varieties now - big fan!
The discontinued Crown Royal Cask No. 16 is my all-time favorite spirit.
Its "replacement" is called "XO" (not "XR") and is quite an interesting sipper in your price range.
User avatar
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 am

Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
You have to let us know what you go with and your thoughts on it. If a Bevmo in your area a lot of coupons out there and sales.
User avatar
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
A lot of Whiskey is overpriced right now, look at the old stand bys, before branching out. Wild Turkey, Russell’s Reserve are great and often overlooked. If you want to get into age statements, explore rum. It’s much less expensive for some great juice.
User avatar
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 am

ackirkpatrick wrote:
Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
A lot of Whiskey is overpriced right now, look at the old stand bys, before branching out. Wild Turkey, Russell’s Reserve are great and often overlooked. If you want to get into age statements, explore rum. It’s much less expensive for some great juice.
Sorry can’t let you do that to him I have to step in. :D Must be a youngster Kram, Rum is the worst, just sugar. Have a grown up drink. All those whiskeys mentioned are great. I have the assumption we have been talking about a drink “neat” not mixed correct?
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am

chevyav53 wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:
Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
A lot of Whiskey is overpriced right now, look at the old stand bys, before branching out. Wild Turkey, Russell’s Reserve are great and often overlooked. If you want to get into age statements, explore rum. It’s much less expensive for some great juice.
Sorry can’t let you do that to him I have to step in. :D Must be a youngster Kram, Rum is the worst, just sugar. Have a grown up drink. All those whiskeys mentioned are great. I have the assumption we have been talking about a drink “neat” not mixed correct?
Gonna try some drinks this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions!
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am

chevyav53 wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:
Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
A lot of Whiskey is overpriced right now, look at the old stand bys, before branching out. Wild Turkey, Russell’s Reserve are great and often overlooked. If you want to get into age statements, explore rum. It’s much less expensive for some great juice.
Sorry can’t let you do that to him I have to step in. :D Must be a youngster Kram, Rum is the worst, just sugar. Have a grown up drink. All those whiskeys mentioned are great. I have the assumption we have been talking about a drink “neat” not mixed correct?
You couldn't be more wrong.
You seem like the youngster here.
Only had Bacardi from a 1.75?

Fine rum, sipped neat, can be a truly awesome experience.
If you're even thinking of mixing your rum, try another.
A lot of the highest-rated rums are in the $30-$60 range.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
Flor De Cana 12YO
Ron Zacapa
El Dorado 12YO or 15YO
Plantation 20th Anniversary
Brugal 1888
Dictador 12YO
Cruzan Single Barrel
Appleton 12YO
Dos Maderas 5+5
Even Bacardi makes a great sipper - their 8YO

many more!
User avatar
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 am

Won’t even entertain the above. Just as with art we have our own opinions.
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 am

chevyav53 wrote:Won’t even entertain the above.
"I don't even need to try it to know I don't like it"

nice!

bet you've not tasted any of the rums I listed
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 25682
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 am

Ah, the "you're wrong" + "opinions vary" 1-2. An altard lassic!
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 am

I've had some amazing rums. Not exactly the road for me, but there are definitely some great tasting ones out there even though I don't buy them.

Also, won another Handy in the PA lottery this year! That's 2/2 in the BTAQ lottery now. By far the best rye I've ever had.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1413
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I love Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum.

But yeah Wild Turkey 101 literally has to be the standard for all bourbons.

A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
stay thirsty my friends
User avatar
jjbehren
Flipper
Posts: 12674
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 am

Danno1 wrote:A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
My favorite shop had a barrel of the 10 year (and by that, I mean their own private barrel that they bottled and sold themselves). Sold out now.

https://www.france44.com/eagle-rare-10- ... el-bourbon

They also just got their own barrel of Elijah Craig 9-year. I've got to get over there and grab one ASAP.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1413
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:14 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Danno1 wrote:A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
My favorite shop had a barrel of the 10 year (and by that, I mean their own private barrel that they bottled and sold themselves). Sold out now.

https://www.france44.com/eagle-rare-10- ... el-bourbon

They also just got their own barrel of Elijah Craig 9-year. I've got to get over there and grab one ASAP.
Yeah I have never seen a Private Barrel of ER until this. Is this something new anyone know?
stay thirsty my friends
Post Reply