World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Danno1 wrote:Stepped up from the bottom shelf last night. I have only had one shot of this ever through the years. Just hoping I can call it a poor man's Booker's.

Find a bottle with an age statement instead of the proof and I think you’ve got a collector! Small change in the Label, huge change in the meaning, even if product stays similar. I believe it used to say “aged 9 years” in that spot.
Danno1
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:05 am

I will look for the older age stated bottles but doubt they are still around here. I am going to a store called DEP's in Covington, KY this evening that has 5 different private barrels. Going to grab a bottle of one described as very sweet. The 25th Anniversary bottles are still around which are 12 and 13 year old age stated but I don't see myself dropping $135 on them.
stay thirsty my friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 am

Just got the email from TPS, this years BTAC will be a raffle drawing which can be entered in store and random drops on the shelves. Going to take the wife and 2 kids there this evening to enter the raffle. Believe I am going to go with 4 chances on the Stagg, it's the one I would probably like the best and has the greater odds going for it. Not even going to waste my time on any Pappy, I would imagine that is what 75% of the entrants will try for anyway. The Eagle Rare looks great but that sure isn't many bottles to try for.

Probably going to upset the overnight line people who always camp out. They claim everyone who used to wait overnight was pretty much guaranteed a bottle of something anyway.

This years numbers from the Distillery via breaking bourbon. Minus the Pappy.

stay thirsty my friends
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Danno1 wrote:Believe I am going to go with 4 chances on the Stagg
That's a proper bourbon, all the best Danno!

Had a pour of Saz 18 and Larue Weller before seeing Doug Martsch last night. An exceptional evening. :drool:
Collect them all. Before you Die®
Danno1
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 pm

DEP's has regular Knob Creek that is still age stated at 9 years, TPS was NAS. Of the 7 private barrels of KC all were age stated at 9 years. The High Bourbon Guru JR was not at TPS to give me the inside info on the KC 25th Anniversary, but another one claimed it is "fantastic bourbon, but overpriced." The 25th has a super fancy display along with it with a whole bunch of info about the age, exactly where this barrel was in which warehouse etc. Maybe they could have done away with all that and tried to keep the price down as much as possible.

The KC PB was $42.50 so I don't think I can complain about that at all. Picked up a 200ml of Woodford Reserve. Figured I would give it one more try for $8. The last time I had WR regular all I ever got was a heavy alcohol taste. And of course always go to the bottom shelf for a BIB, and have yet to be disappointed with that.

stay thirsty my friends
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
fredo
Art God

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 am

Same here, only for posters.
just a foil for me today, thanks
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 am

Vorpel wrote:a nice whiskey in a mid-range price
the concept of "mid-range price" has shifted a bit - are you looking around $25-$35 or around $50-$65 ?

What whiskies have you tried and liked so far?
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:15 am

Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
What is mid-range price for you? $50-$100... more? Do you enjoy peat or without peat?

Then if you really want to get an idea what is out there check out the conventions if near you. Also if you go, be careful not to drink everything.. Like a kid in a candy store my first one from what I remember. :pint:

http://whiskiesoftheworld.com/
http://www.whiskyfest.com/san-francisco/
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.
Find a local spot that has a good selection and offers flights. Go midweek when it's not as busy and start working your way through the juice to determine what you like.

The most important thing to remember is there's no "right" way to drink whiskey. I would always recommend starting w/a "neat" pour in a glencairn glass. After that, few drops of water, a piece of ice, etc.
Collect them all. Before you Die®
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have much experience with whiskey - had some while out a while back but didn't pay attention to the specifics.

Mid-range to me would be around $40-50

I like the idea of Finding a local place for samples. I'll check it out.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Basil Hayden's is at the top of the list for that price range.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Will push your budget by about $5-10 when on sale is Blanton's which is great, usually around $70 but Bevmo has it on sale and if you have a coupon of theirs it is under or at $50

There is also Jameson Black Barrel Reserve

Now if you are just looking for a good sipper under $50, though not a whiskey, try Camus Grand VSOP Cognac
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Basil Hayden's is at the top of the list for that price range.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Will push your budget by about $5-10 when on sale is Blanton's which is great, usually around $70 but Bevmo has it on sale and if you have a coupon of theirs it is under or at $50

There is also Jameson Black Barrel Reserve

Now if you are just looking for a good sipper under $50, though not a whiskey, try Camus Grand VSOP Cognac
I'll check these out!

Thanks