World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:02 pm

electrachrome wrote:Ive been on the lookout for the Bou-Rye ...I might settle and grab a bottle of High West American Prairie instead.

I have the American Prairie, I think it's terrible. You would be much better served with a bottle of Old Crow, because that is about what it taste like to me. It's a blend of 2 yr, 6 yr and 13 yr whiskey. I can be almost for certain its probably close to 80% 2 yr old whiskey in it. Literally the only bottle that I have that when I go to try it again I just end up pouring it down the drain. Just my opinion anyway.

They also have an American Prairie Reserve, well it for sure has got to be better than the regular edition.
stay thirsty my friends
secondratehero
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:30 pm

time wrote:
artyparty wrote:This is my everyday sipping drink. :pint:

secondratehero wrote:I've been drinking this lately and man it's a whole different kind of monster.

Have you compared it to any of the 9 prior batches?
I haven't had any of the other releases sadly so no room for comparison. But that one is a beast and honestly after three pours in sitting pretty good
cgmarshall
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:26 am

Got into some rare Macallan over the Easter Break.
Macallan Private Eye colection 1961 35 year old
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/366 ... rivate-eye

noobie
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 am

[quote="cgmarshall"]Got into some rare Macallan over the Easter Break.

How was it?
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:34 am

padelimike wrote:
o4phish20o wrote:Picked these 2 bottles up this weekend
good score!
which bottling of Elmer is that?

edit: here's how you find out - this is the serial numbering on a spring 2014 bottle:

http://i.imgur.com/IISX8z0.jpg

B14 = 2014
169 = June 18th
08:01 AM
Its a B15269 .. I heard that some bottles from the 2015 were dishwater tasting, but honestly didn't notice that from this bottle. It was a little more earthy than usual and not as sweet as some others I have had, but still tasted just fine. Wish I didn't have to pay $70 for it, but is what it is.

Haven't opened the Bourye, really want to taste that. The shop owner said it was his personal favorite at the moment.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:47 am

Danno1 wrote:
electrachrome wrote:Ive been on the lookout for the Bou-Rye ...I might settle and grab a bottle of High West American Prairie instead.

I have the American Prairie, I think it's terrible. You would be much better served with a bottle of Old Crow, because that is about what it taste like to me. It's a blend of 2 yr, 6 yr and 13 yr whiskey. I can be almost for certain its probably close to 80% 2 yr old whiskey in it. Literally the only bottle that I have that when I go to try it again I just end up pouring it down the drain. Just my opinion anyway.

They also have an American Prairie Reserve, well it for sure has got to be better than the regular edition.
I'm not going to rate it as terrible, but it was very thin up front with a little caramel just before the heat. I agree that the blend is predominantly very young whiskey. I might use it to "water down" a cask strength that has a bolder profile. I also picked up a Bulleit 10 year old bourbon which I found to be much more interesting, but not a bottle I would buy again.
cgmarshall
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:50 am

noobie wrote:
cgmarshall wrote:Got into some rare Macallan over the Easter Break.

How was it?
If you want the Wanky Conosures Description, Id say something like:
'A sublime ephemeral dance of rich warming nectar' :groucho:

Seriously tho It was lovely. A real treat to actually try something rare and highly regarded.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:05 am

o4phish20o wrote: Its a B15269 .. I heard that some bottles from the 2015 were dishwater tasting, but honestly didn't notice that from this bottle.
The late 2015 bottling was the first one that seemed TO ME to be sourced from barrels picked by Elmer's successor. This may account for some of the "dishwater" reviews, but it is certainly delicious to me. The late 2014 release tasted pretty much exactly like the 2012 and 2013 bottles I had open for comparison. The Spring 2015 had the same basic flavor profile, but a little woodier, which makes sense - if it is still from Elmer picks (as I suspect) it's had an extra year in the wood.

I have not opened my Spring 2014, because it is the commemorative bottle (93 proof) and is "worth" too much to drink.
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:01 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Danno1 wrote:

I'm not going to rate it as terrible, but it was very thin up front with a little caramel just before the heat. I agree that the blend is predominantly very young whiskey. I might use it to "water down" a cask strength that has a bolder profile. I also picked up a Bulleit 10 year old bourbon which I found to be much more interesting, but not a bottle I would buy again.
I love Bulleit 10. I think it's so much smoother then the regular Bulleit. They stock the 750 10 yr right next to the 1.75l regular so I just always have a hard time justifying the price between the 2. Will be interesting to see how Bulleit does once the Four Roses produced stock is gone and the MGP rolls out.
stay thirsty my friends
time
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:34 pm

o4phish20o wrote:Picked these 2 bottles up this weekend:
If you get a chance, try the Rendezvous Rye (or Midwinter Night's Dram) from High West. Both are excellent. I haven't been a big fan of Bourye.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:52 am

padelimike wrote:The Spring 2015 had the same basic flavor profile, but a little woodier, which makes sense - if it is still from Elmer picks (as I suspect) it's had an extra year in the wood.
I can confirm.
I just checked mine and it's B1506314:20
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Damn the regular Elijah Craig Small Batch no age statement has moved right into my 2nd favorite bourbon! It is absolutely outstanding, whole lot of similarities to Woodford Double Oaked. Sweet sipper with a tad bit of wood and spice, I love it.
stay thirsty my friends
mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:02 am

EJ regular is one of the best deals on bourbon out there, even without an age statement.

I know High West bourbon has taken a beating here. I don't think it's particularly good and I wouldn't defend it. But when it comes to rye, High West releases some of the best stuff out there, with rendezvous and double rye. It seems to me that High West and Willett have been getting the choicest rye barrels from MGP. I'm just looking forward to the day that High West starts releasing their own aged stuff.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:07 am

mtarail wrote: It seems to me that High West and Willett have been getting the choicest rye barrels from MGP.
Have you tried the bourbon MGP put out?
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:14 pm

I bought a 1.75l of E Craig yesterday and didn't even realize it's a 12 year age stated until I got home. I will get a 750 of the newer E Craig soon and compare the two.

The more I have of it the more I cannot really compare it to another bourbon, even another Heaven Hill Bourbon. It's distinctive and really moving into my #1 spot.
stay thirsty my friends