World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 am

Just picked up the Rye yesterday. I've heard some damn good things.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:58 pm

Whole bunch of new and not-so-new whiskies popped up in Pa online.
I would have posted earlier, but every time I thought of it, EB was down.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Cask Strength 8 YO Bourbon
Taylor Single Barrel
Taylor Rye
St. Georges Single Malt
Rough Rider Big Stick Rye
and another "voyage" of Jefferson's LolOcean

The Taylor products are limited to one bottle per person of each.
The Smooth Ambler, which I have not tried, has come very highly recommended, and will sell out first, as there is no limit, and less than 30 bottles remain.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:04 pm

We drove down to TPS last night just to get out of the house. They had quite a few new whiskey's in. Old Scout 9 yr private barrel, 6 new Four Roses Private Barrels, a few Jefferson private barrels and a Russels Reserve private barrel. Also had another Woddford Double Oaked private barrel.

We picked up some Larceny because it is not available in Ohio. Went with Sheep Dip because of a recommendation. Scotch Guru there told me since I am completely unfamiliar with scotch that he could not really recommend a single malt to me personally. Suggested that I try this since it supposedly has a decently wide flavor profile and that if I found one particular note within it that I really liked he could then recommend some single malt's. He also fore warned me that some scotch guru's will slam and shame his recommendation of any blend for a scotch but to each their own.

So far everything they have recommended has been stellar with me, so it's worth a try.

stay thirsty my friends
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Oh man, i want one of those Larceny, how is it? Gets pretty good reviews from my mke friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm

We love Larceny, It's a fantastic value wheated bourbon. In markets that have it it's readily available and usually $40 for a 1.75l. I am no big fan of wheated bourbons but absolutely love this with a tad bit of ginger ale, by far my favorite mixed drink.

I have no idea as to why Ohio doesn't offer it, a local place said it is the most requested bourbon at their store.
stay thirsty my friends
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Anybody had this?

I don't usually drink rye, but I've been liking dry Manhattan's lately. Available here at a wicked premium here.
just a foil for me today, thanks
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:14 am

Finally tracked down a bottle of Blanton's locally. Geez that was harder to find than I expected. A buddy also is about get a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle as a work trade deal. Very intrigued to finally give that a try
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:06 am

Finally tracked down a bottle of Middleton's Irish Whiskey. It's phenomenal.
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:20 pm

fredo wrote:Anybody had this?

I don't usually drink rye, but I've been liking dry Manhattan's lately. Available here at a wicked premium here.
Can't say I've tried every offering from Few, but there's not one I could name that is worth the premium attached to their products. IMHO it's a classic example of the price - quality gap that is all too common when it comes to craft distillers.

Would much rather buy a bottle of Rittenhouse AND Bulleit to get my rye fix for the same amount of money.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:48 pm

bahns47 wrote:Would much rather buy a bottle of Rittenhouse AND Bulleit to get my rye fix for the same amount of money.
A couple of reasonable ones I've tried recently and liked a lot:

$30 in Pa.

and

$35 in Pa

"A COMPLEX BLEND OF
HAND-SELECTED STRAIGHT RYE
WHISKEYS, AGED 4-15 YEARS AND
CURATED FROM DISTILLERIES
ACROSS NORTH AMERICA.
KENTUCKY, PENNSYLVANIA,
INDIANA AND ALBERTA."

Has anyone tried the new Metze's Bourbon Blend?

"MGP announces the introduction of Metze’s Select, a limited edition Indiana straight bourbon whiskey.

Metze’s Select combines some of MGP’s favorite whiskeys to produce a well-balanced bourbon featuring a Lawrenceburg-style high rye characteristic that merges spicy notes with creamy vanilla and caramel.

MGP’s Master Distiller Greg Metze has crafted only 6,000 hand-numbered bottles of this unique expression, which is the result of marrying three distinct straight bourbon whiskeys. The brand consists of 38% 2006 bourbon (21% rye), 3% 2006 bourbon (36% rye), and 59% 2008 bourbon (21% rye), all made by MGP. Metze’s Select is bottled at 46.5% alcohol by volume and will be available in 750ml bottles."
fredo
Art God

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm

bahns47 wrote:

Can't say I've tried every offering from Few, but there's not one I could name that is worth the premium attached to their products. IMHO it's a classic example of the price - quality gap that is all too common when it comes to craft distillers.

Would much rather buy a bottle of Rittenhouse AND Bulleit to get my rye fix for the same amount of money.
Thanks for that.
just a foil for me today, thanks
time
Art Expert

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Yes. And we are fans of rye. And we did not like it. However, a friend who has a fancy blog that does reviews loves it, so tastes differ. On the other hand, one that our friend and we agree on is the PIkesville Rye. Finally opened one and did a home taste test comparison with some good competition (Rendezvous, Smooth Ambler 7 year, Midwinter Night's Dram) and Pikesville won. It's been getting a lot of attention so probably need to look for it sooner rather than later. Pricing here is around $49.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 am

PA PEOPLE

Elijah Craig 18 and 23 Year Old dropping in Pa

$167 and $220

some other stuff too
don't know what yet
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:36 am

padelimike wrote:
bahns47 wrote:Would much rather buy a bottle of Rittenhouse AND Bulleit to get my rye fix for the same amount of money.
A couple of reasonable ones I've tried recently and liked a lot:
Good tips, cheers! Will have to keep an eye out for those, haven't seen either of them before.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:01 pm

padelimike wrote:PA PEOPLE

Elijah Craig 18 and 23 Year Old dropping in Pa

$167 and $220

some other stuff too
don't know what yet
Worth picking up? And when does it drop.