World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:31 pm

duckyhoward
Art Expert

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Gordon & MacPhail releases Glen Grant 1950
http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2016/ ... rant-1950/
"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
jadicicco
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Getting married and want to get a good bottle for myself and the groomsmen to enjoy. Thinking about getting a bottle of Pappy, either Rip Van Winkle 10 year or the 12 year Van Winkle. I have found a few at a reasonable secondary market price, is it worth it? I've heard great things but have never had it.
Jetfire
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 pm

jadicicco wrote:Getting married and want to get a good bottle for myself and the groomsmen to enjoy. Thinking about getting a bottle of Pappy, either Rip Van Winkle 10 year or the 12 year Van Winkle. I have found a few at a reasonable secondary market price, is it worth it? I've heard great things but have never had it.
Not really, but you gotta find that out for yourself. Go for the 10, most people prefer that over the 12
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm

jadicicco wrote:Getting married and want to get a good bottle for myself and the groomsmen to enjoy. Thinking about getting a bottle of Pappy, either Rip Van Winkle 10 year or the 12 year Van Winkle. I have found a few at a reasonable secondary market price, is it worth it? I've heard great things but have never had it.
I have had the 10, 12 and 15. The 12 and 15 were disappointments to me but I quite like the 10 and think the secondary value of 250 shipped is probably fair. I am getting more samples of the 15 soon, so I am going to retry it. The 20 and 23, I can tell you with out trying them, are not worth 1000 and 1500 respectively because no bourbon is worth that.

But if you are open to not doing pappy, my favorite bourbon for a special occasion (or any occasion really) is Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Costs about $150 on secondary, is different and delicious (lots of orange and nuttiness), and easier to get than Pappy (you might even still be able to find a bottle or two. I like the 2013 and 2015 best out of the past 4 years. 2014 is also excellent, 2012 would be fourth.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 pm

sk8nshoot1
Art Expert

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:43 am

I guess becoming known as a scotch and whiskey drinker made Christmas and birthday gift giving easy. I did well
Last edited by sk8nshoot1 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 am

padelimike wrote:Image
Remember the show?
fredo
Art God

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 am

Or the booze?
just a foil for me today, thanks
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 am

That was on 12/29 - we moved from that room to a much better one a few hours after that photo was taken.
So much better, in fact, that I've already booked it for next year.

No view down 7th avenue though.

I only had one 20-30 ml pour of the 10YO for myself - they were brought for sharing.
Each of those three bottles has been tasted by more than 20 people at this point, and there's plenty left.
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 am

padelimike wrote:That was on 12/29 - we moved from that room to a much better one a few hours after that photo was taken.
So much better, in fact, that I've already booked it for next year.

No view down 7th avenue though.

I only had one 20-30 ml pour of the 10YO for myself - they were brought for sharing.
Each of those three bottles has been tasted by more than 20 people at this point, and there's plenty left.
Hand up, volunteering for taste test of the 10 y/o!!!
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Haven't had much to drink the last few weeks, head colds going around our area and has had me for a good 2 weeks. Can't really taste anything at all so whats the point.

As of late she has become a pretty big fan of Four Roses Yellow Label, for $20 it's a great bourbon.

We went to a newer liquor store last night and were just browsing around when a group of 4 came in looking for anything at all Buffalo Trace. Guy in the group only drinks bourbon from BT, could not have been a more arrogant ass. Guy working recommended Bulleit to him and the arrogance went up 10 fold. That is the second time I have ran into an absolute jackass who simply can't stop telling anyone who gives a ---- about the greatness of BT. When we left my wife even said that guy is a real idiot. Takes a lot for her to say something like that.

Hype, hype, hype.
stay thirsty my friends
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Danno1 wrote:Haven't had much to drink the last few weeks, head colds going around our area and has had me for a good 2 weeks. Can't really taste anything at all so whats the point.

As of late she has become a pretty big fan of Four Roses Yellow Label, for $20 it's a great bourbon.

We went to a newer liquor store last night and were just browsing around when a group of 4 came in looking for anything at all Buffalo Trace. Guy in the group only drinks bourbon from BT, could not have been a more arrogant ass. Guy working recommended Bulleit to him and the arrogance went up 10 fold. That is the second time I have ran into an absolute jackass who simply can't stop telling anyone who gives a ---- about the greatness of BT. When we left my wife even said that guy is a real idiot. Takes a lot for her to say something like that.

Hype, hype, hype.
How is four roses yellow label compared to their small batch? I got small batch because I love Bulleit rye and it came highly recommended. I don't like it at all. Use it for mixers now.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:54 pm

If you don't like either the SB or Bulleit I would say don't bother with it. For taste I would say it's a 80 proof version of small batch with a little less rye. The Bulleit Bourbon that is currently available is a Four Roses product so I would also compare it to a Bulleit.

Bulleit Rye is a MGP product so completely different distillery.
stay thirsty my friends
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Danno1 wrote:If you don't like either the SB or Bulleit I would say don't bother with it. For taste I would say it's a 80 proof version of small batch with a little less rye. The Bulleit Bourbon that is currently available is a Four Roses product so I would also compare it to a Bulleit.

Bulleit Rye is a MGP product so completely different distillery.
That explains why I love Bulleit Rye but reg Bulleit is gross to me. That would be inline with my dislike of Four Roses.

Thank you its good to know that my tastes aren't being influenced by one brand or another.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen