World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
cadeallaw
Art Expert
Posts: 5447
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Dayton, OH
Contact:

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Image
User avatar
duckyhoward
Art Expert
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:14 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Gordon & MacPhail releases Glen Grant 1950
http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2016/ ... rant-1950/
Image
"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
jadicicco
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 am

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Getting married and want to get a good bottle for myself and the groomsmen to enjoy. Thinking about getting a bottle of Pappy, either Rip Van Winkle 10 year or the 12 year Van Winkle. I have found a few at a reasonable secondary market price, is it worth it? I've heard great things but have never had it.
Jetfire
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 pm

jadicicco wrote:Getting married and want to get a good bottle for myself and the groomsmen to enjoy. Thinking about getting a bottle of Pappy, either Rip Van Winkle 10 year or the 12 year Van Winkle. I have found a few at a reasonable secondary market price, is it worth it? I've heard great things but have never had it.
Not really, but you gotta find that out for yourself. Go for the 10, most people prefer that over the 12
User avatar
jrsheppa
Art Expert
Posts: 5412
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: The South

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm

jadicicco wrote:Getting married and want to get a good bottle for myself and the groomsmen to enjoy. Thinking about getting a bottle of Pappy, either Rip Van Winkle 10 year or the 12 year Van Winkle. I have found a few at a reasonable secondary market price, is it worth it? I've heard great things but have never had it.
I have had the 10, 12 and 15. The 12 and 15 were disappointments to me but I quite like the 10 and think the secondary value of 250 shipped is probably fair. I am getting more samples of the 15 soon, so I am going to retry it. The 20 and 23, I can tell you with out trying them, are not worth 1000 and 1500 respectively because no bourbon is worth that.

But if you are open to not doing pappy, my favorite bourbon for a special occasion (or any occasion really) is Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Costs about $150 on secondary, is different and delicious (lots of orange and nuttiness), and easier to get than Pappy (you might even still be able to find a bottle or two. I like the 2013 and 2015 best out of the past 4 years. 2014 is also excellent, 2012 would be fourth.
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Image
User avatar
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Hartford, CT
Contact:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:43 am

I guess becoming known as a scotch and whiskey drinker made Christmas and birthday gift giving easy. I did well
Last edited by sk8nshoot1 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"
User avatar
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Hartford, CT
Contact:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 am

padelimike wrote:Image
Remember the show?
BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 26512
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 am

Or the booze?
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 am

That was on 12/29 - we moved from that room to a much better one a few hours after that photo was taken.
So much better, in fact, that I've already booked it for next year.

No view down 7th avenue though.


I only had one 20-30 ml pour of the 10YO for myself - they were brought for sharing.
Each of those three bottles has been tasted by more than 20 people at this point, and there's plenty left.
User avatar
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Hartford, CT
Contact:

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 am

padelimike wrote:That was on 12/29 - we moved from that room to a much better one a few hours after that photo was taken.
So much better, in fact, that I've already booked it for next year.

No view down 7th avenue though.


I only had one 20-30 ml pour of the 10YO for myself - they were brought for sharing.
Each of those three bottles has been tasted by more than 20 people at this point, and there's plenty left.
Hand up, volunteering for taste test of the 10 y/o!!!
BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Haven't had much to drink the last few weeks, head colds going around our area and has had me for a good 2 weeks. Can't really taste anything at all so whats the point.

As of late she has become a pretty big fan of Four Roses Yellow Label, for $20 it's a great bourbon.

We went to a newer liquor store last night and were just browsing around when a group of 4 came in looking for anything at all Buffalo Trace. Guy in the group only drinks bourbon from BT, could not have been a more arrogant ass. Guy working recommended Bulleit to him and the arrogance went up 10 fold. That is the second time I have ran into an absolute jackass who simply can't stop telling anyone who gives a ---- about the greatness of BT. When we left my wife even said that guy is a real idiot. Takes a lot for her to say something like that.

Hype, hype, hype.
stay thirsty my friends
User avatar
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Danno1 wrote:Haven't had much to drink the last few weeks, head colds going around our area and has had me for a good 2 weeks. Can't really taste anything at all so whats the point.

As of late she has become a pretty big fan of Four Roses Yellow Label, for $20 it's a great bourbon.

We went to a newer liquor store last night and were just browsing around when a group of 4 came in looking for anything at all Buffalo Trace. Guy in the group only drinks bourbon from BT, could not have been a more arrogant ass. Guy working recommended Bulleit to him and the arrogance went up 10 fold. That is the second time I have ran into an absolute jackass who simply can't stop telling anyone who gives a ---- about the greatness of BT. When we left my wife even said that guy is a real idiot. Takes a lot for her to say something like that.

Hype, hype, hype.
How is four roses yellow label compared to their small batch? I got small batch because I love Bulleit rye and it came highly recommended. I don't like it at all. Use it for mixers now.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:54 pm

If you don't like either the SB or Bulleit I would say don't bother with it. For taste I would say it's a 80 proof version of small batch with a little less rye. The Bulleit Bourbon that is currently available is a Four Roses product so I would also compare it to a Bulleit.

Bulleit Rye is a MGP product so completely different distillery.
stay thirsty my friends
User avatar
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Danno1 wrote:If you don't like either the SB or Bulleit I would say don't bother with it. For taste I would say it's a 80 proof version of small batch with a little less rye. The Bulleit Bourbon that is currently available is a Four Roses product so I would also compare it to a Bulleit.

Bulleit Rye is a MGP product so completely different distillery.
That explains why I love Bulleit Rye but reg Bulleit is gross to me. That would be inline with my dislike of Four Roses.

Thank you its good to know that my tastes aren't being influenced by one brand or another.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
Post Reply