World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:33 pm

bmd1191 wrote: My liquor store has it for $92 I think, and I have a $10 off coupon.
time
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:33 pm

bmd1191 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:Do you like sherried whiskies or bourbon whiskies more? Mac 12 is the perfect example of a sherried whisky.
Well i'm not really a fan of bourbon cause I find it too sweet. So I guess i'll go with sherried whiskeys? I'm not really sure.
Sherried whiskies will leave you with notes of dried fruit, coffee and chocolate, and sometimes even more exotic notes. Bourbon aged or finished whisky will have more wood influence, vanilla, and some sweetness. How sweet they are varies from whisky to whisky.

I am not a Glenlivet fan for the most part but I like Mac 12. Based off what you said you like, I would go with Glendronach 15 revival if you can find it. I also think a number of edradours are in that range as well if you can find them. Also glenlivet's nadurra might be a good choice.
Yeah I think sherried whiskeys are more my style based on that description. And I will look into the ones you mentioned, thanks.
Aberlour A'bunadh
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:37 pm

time wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
bmd1191 wrote: Well i'm not really a fan of bourbon cause I find it too sweet. So I guess i'll go with sherried whiskeys? I'm not really sure.
Sherried whiskies will leave you with notes of dried fruit, coffee and chocolate, and sometimes even more exotic notes. Bourbon aged or finished whisky will have more wood influence, vanilla, and some sweetness. How sweet they are varies from whisky to whisky.

I am not a Glenlivet fan for the most part but I like Mac 12. Based off what you said you like, I would go with Glendronach 15 revival if you can find it. I also think a number of edradours are in that range as well if you can find them. Also glenlivet's nadurra might be a good choice.
Yeah I think sherried whiskeys are more my style based on that description. And I will look into the ones you mentioned, thanks.
Aberlour A'bunadh
Yup, also a good choice. Mac CS if you can find any, it was discontinued a couple years ago.

Speaking of Abunadh, got some old abunadh in a trade recently. It's nice.

Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Cbjornson wrote:Any of you folks know anything about these Woodford Reserve prints from a couple years back? I'm looking for a friend.

I have never seen those. I have seen a few other brands in the windows at Liquor World in Lexington. I think Woodford puts out a whole lot of merchandise type stuff centering around advertising around KY Derby Time. It's the "official" bourbon of the derby.

I am headed down to Bourbon Country again in 2 weeks and will inquire at 2 places I frequent about those specific posters/prints.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:32 pm

Cbjornson wrote:Any of you folks know anything about these Woodford Reserve prints from a couple years back? I'm looking for a friend.
woodford esquire manhattan experience poster

annual event in January to find the bartender who makes the best Manhattan.
illustrated by Brian Cummings (or Brian Yap) in 2012
http://brianyap.com/2176/932268/illustr ... nce-poster
poster for 2013
http://boxing-clever.com/work/woodford- ... experience
dasher12
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:52 pm

I know it's overhyped and all but anyone know where I can find a bottle of pappy 15yr? Would love to give one as a Christmas gift this year if I can get it for a reasonable price. Any help would be much appreciated.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:08 pm

dasher12 wrote:I know it's overhyped and all but anyone know where I can find a bottle of pappy 15yr? Would love to give one as a Christmas gift this year if I can get it for a reasonable price. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hahahahahahaha!!!! That is so cute.

In all seriousness, pray to the whiskey gods. For the most part, they don't hit the market (ie just put on shelves). Pretty much the best way to get one is aftermarket, which prices it around 750. Pretty much every bottle that hits stores is either kept by the owners, gifted to employees or big time customers, sold preferentially to big customers or restaurant customers, sold at after market value, or lottery sold.

Best advise: find places that let you enter the lotto or have a short wait list. But short answer is it's really damn difficult.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Real best advise is settle for easier to find but really good bourbon. BTAC is still really tough to find but amazing. Easier to find is old forester birthday bourbon, older Parkers heritage collection bottles, Weller 12, Elijah Craig barrel proof, four roses limited editions, high west bourbons and ryes.
dasher12
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:58 pm

Yeah I know thanks for the advice. I am fine paying over whatever the retail usually is. I am hoping to try and get one for 500-600 don't really want to pay 700 for a bottle. I'd love to get a BTAC but those seem to be jacked up on the aftermarket just as bad. Anybody wanting to sell those hit me up too.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:22 am

Think I might grab the A'bunadh for my birthday because reviews of it seem pretty amazing. My liquor store has the Aberlour 18 year for almost the same price and the A'bunadh, has anyone had the 18 year? Might grab that instead of the A'bunadh.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:51 am

Pa. people: Elmer T. Lee is back in a few selected stores.
time
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:47 pm

jrsheppa wrote:Real best advise is settle for easier to find but really good bourbon. BTAC is still really tough to find but amazing. Easier to find is old forester birthday bourbon, older Parkers heritage collection bottles, Weller 12, Elijah Craig barrel proof, four roses limited editions, high west bourbons and ryes.
Maybe you can get many of those you listed easily where you are, but here (West Coast), the only ones you listed that are "easier to find" are basically the High West (and not the limited ones like Midwinter Nights Dram - though I was pleased to get a couple of the new act today). Weller 107 is easier to find (generally) than the 12 and is very good (and pretty cheap).

As for any of the BTAC this year, all my go to places have told me they got about 60% fewer bottles from them this year, meaning basically 1 or at most 2 of each (and I got none). :(
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:11 pm

time wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:Real best advise is settle for easier to find but really good bourbon. BTAC is still really tough to find but amazing. Easier to find is old forester birthday bourbon, older Parkers heritage collection bottles, Weller 12, Elijah Craig barrel proof, four roses limited editions, high west bourbons and ryes.
Maybe you can get many of those you listed easily where you are, but here (West Coast), the only ones you listed that are "easier to find" are basically the High West (and not the limited ones like Midwinter Nights Dram - though I was pleased to get a couple of the new act today). Weller 107 is easier to find (generally) than the 12 and is very good (and pretty cheap).

As for any of the BTAC this year, all my go to places have told me they got about 60% fewer bottles from them this year, meaning basically 1 or at most 2 of each (and I got none). :(
Yeah, Weller 12 sells out where I am fast, but you can get it. ECBP can be found around, but its easier to find E12.

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that Pappy in general is overpriced and overrated; there are some incredible whiskies that are at least a little easier to get and far less expensive. And then there are others, such as Blanton's and Eagle Rare for example, that are great and readily available.
time
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:46 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
time wrote:

Yeah, Weller 12 sells out where I am fast, but you can get it. ECBP can be found around, but its easier to find E12.

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that Pappy in general is overpriced and overrated; there are some incredible whiskies that are at least a little easier to get and far less expensive. And then there are others, such as Blanton's and Eagle Rare for example, that are great and readily available.
Absolutely agree! I have been lucky enough to score ECBP each time but it has usually been via longstanding purchasing history at a given store and not off the shelf. The Weller 12 shows up very seldom here and is gone immediately. The Weller 107 sometimes lingers a bit longer. The Blanton's is a very good alternative (and a very nice bottle if gifting). The A'bunadh I always suggest when others want something special and all have come back with great reviews. Maker's Mark Cask Strength is surprisingly good too. And I hear the new Jack Daniels Select Single Barrel Barrel Proof is really good (bought it but haven't opened it yet). For something spicy and tasty, High West Rendezvous Rye is always a favorite.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:54 pm

I also recommend picking up the new HW Bourye. You can get it here for between 65 and 80 and it is delicious. Also SAOS 7 and 10 bourbon. I love the 10.

Finally, if you can find places that do barrel picks, those are never expensive or hard to get, but they are a unique and limited expression. Near me for example, there are probably 6-8 different 4R Single Barrel store picks of various recipes, 2 or 3 blantons picks, SAOS 9 year pick, and 2 or 3 eagle rare 10 picks. Probably even more, those are just the brands I like. These also make good gifts.