World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Crash607 wrote:Would you guys pay $60 for a bottle of elmer t lee? I'm in Valencia CA, found a place near me that has it, but for maybe double retail. However, this stuff has become really hard to come by. Thoughts? Also, anyone ever had Old Weller Antique 107? I'm curious if this is worth a buy as well.

No I wouldn't pay $60 for ETL. It's a great buy at $30, good buy at $40, beyond that is just simply gouging imho. Old Weller is a wheated bourbon and honestly I think it's over hyped. But that is just my opinion for most of what comes out of Buffalo Trace. It's not bad don't get me wrong, but I personally prefer either Larceny or Makers Mark for a wheated bourbon.

Toured Wild Turkey today. Honestly we both felt it was a fairly big disappointment. Don't hear much about this one on the bourbon trail and I think I know why now. From a brand with so much history I was just expecting a whole lot more. Its the largest single site distillery in the US, produces all of the Wild Turkey products. 50% of production is headed to the export market. Basically just about all of the higher end bourbon goes to Japan while just about all of the lower end bourbon goes to Australia. Reason Australia wants a lower priced product is because their taxes and spirits are just sky high they claim.

The plant and bottling house were built in 2009. Both state of the art complexes made of cinder blocks and run by computers, Maybe that is why we just felt it lacked any real sense of history. Toured the oldest rickhouse on the 900 acre facility, built in 1891 and still in use. But I felt the rickhouse was kind of dumpy, just miscellaneous barrels laying around in odd spots, really good amount of trash underneath the barrels on the bottom level, everything from McDonalds to soda cans just thrown under there. Just felt if you are going to show off your product and a warehouse where it all ages, maybe you can tidy it up somewhat. Maybe this is where the dirty bird reference comes from.

The grounds lack any real architecture, landscaping and hardly have any trees, especially old growth trees. Other then the visitor center which is nice the place is pretty blah. Does have a couple great spots with a view of the Kentucky River and a valley.

Image

Worth noting this was the worst tour group we have encountered. Large group of 31 with 25 of those being senior citizens. The tour has about 6 flights of stairs throughout and all we heard from the seniors was "oh I just don't think I can do anymore steps." A few of them were literally wore out flat after this. Should have absolutely been a sign or announcement about the steps because I believe a lot of the seniors would have then passed on the tour.

Gift shop is nice with every single bottle they have for sale at a small price over what you can find at any retail liquor store.

Went to Liquor Barn #3 afterwards and lo and behold they just put out their Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Single Barrel this week. Had about 6 bottles stocked of which I bough only 1. She was wanting to try other things so we compromised a little. She doesn't care for the WRDOSB.

Just my opinion, if you come to KY and tour the bourbon spots, well if you miss this one don't worry too much about it.
stay thirsty my friends
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 26791
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Looked like a nice day anyhow. Guess when you're that big a producer and don't really push the history angle much in the branding...
Still (pun!) good whiskey imo. I love Turkey.
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
mtarail
Art Expert
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: AZ

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Crash607 wrote:Would you guys pay $60 for a bottle of elmer t lee? I'm in Valencia CA, found a place near me that has it, but for maybe double retail. However, this stuff has become really hard to come by. Thoughts? Also, anyone ever had Old Weller Antique 107? I'm curious if this is worth a buy as well.
$60 is gouging, but I might pay it just because ETL is awesome and it's almost impossible to find these days. There are plenty of bourbons with a shelf price of $60 that aren't as good. On the other hand, Blanton's is a great (and similar to ETL) bourbon that you could get for less. As for Weller 107, I think it's a very solid bourbon for the price. (So is Larceny).
User avatar
Crash607
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 am
Location: Chicagoland area

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 am

mtarail wrote:[
$60 is gouging, but I might pay it just because ETL is awesome and it's almost impossible to find these days. There are plenty of bourbons with a shelf price of $60 that aren't as good. On the other hand, Blanton's is a great (and similar to ETL) bourbon that you could get for less. As for Weller 107, I think it's a very solid bourbon for the price. (So is Larceny).

Thanks, ended up getting the 107 and I'm happy with that purchase! I'll have to put some more thought into the Elmer T Lee
Danno1 wrote: No I wouldn't pay $60 for ETL. It's a great buy at $30, good buy at $40, beyond that is just simply gouging imho. Old Weller is a wheated bourbon and honestly I think it's over hyped. But that is just my opinion for most of what comes out of Buffalo Trace. It's not bad don't get me wrong, but I personally prefer either Larceny or Makers Mark for a wheated bourbon.
So now for another question. What's the max you guys would pay for Weller 12 year. Found a place around here with some for $60 (once again). I know that's like double the MSRP, what do you guys think about this pricing?
User avatar
reddog76
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am

I can't find the weller 12 in PA.

ETL is one of my favorites and 60 is gouging BUT I probably would fork over the money for it because I like it so much.
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 am

fredo wrote:Looked like a nice day anyhow. Guess when you're that big a producer and don't really push the history angle much in the branding...
Still (pun!) good whiskey imo. I love Turkey.

Yeah it was a beautiful day. I think the makeover in 2009 probably just was all about maximum production as compared to saving history and charm. And that's absolutely fine I suppose, it's a business which is about maximizing profits. The visitors center does have a nice wall that highlights the history throughout the years. I guess I just wasn't prepared to see a fairly big factory actually being run by 2 people on computers.

I am not a huge Wild Turkey guy, The boldness of it hides a lot of the character to me. She loved the Kentucky Spirit though. I will readily admit if you simply want a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Wild Turkey is the first thing that comes to mind.

Crash if you have never had ETL, I would go ahead and drop the $60 on it. It is a fantastic bourbon and may easily fall into your top 2. My opinion is weighted personally because I have had a few bottles and just find other's in that price range I prefer.
stay thirsty my friends
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 18162
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:16 pm

handy fact when comparing prices across the states

Spirits Excise Tax Rates by State, 2014
User avatar
Crash607
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 am
Location: Chicagoland area

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Danno1 wrote:
Crash if you have never had ETL, I would go ahead and drop the $60 on it. It is a fantastic bourbon and may easily fall into your top 2. My opinion is weighted personally because I have had a few bottles and just find other's in that price range I prefer.

Okay I'll pull the trigger on it! Another question! Do you think the regular double Oakes is worth it? Or was it only the single barrel double Oaked WR that you were so enthused about?
User avatar
Danno1
Art Expert
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Dayton, OH

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Crash607 wrote:
Danno1 wrote:
Crash if you have never had ETL, I would go ahead and drop the $60 on it. It is a fantastic bourbon and may easily fall into your top 2. My opinion is weighted personally because I have had a few bottles and just find other's in that price range I prefer.

Okay I'll pull the trigger on it! Another question! Do you think the regular double Oakes is worth it? Or was it only the single barrel double Oaked WR that you were so enthused about?

Absolutely worth it to me.
stay thirsty my friends
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:48 pm

reddog76 wrote:I can't find the weller 12 in PA.
and we won't, apparently ever - I've inquired
reddog76 wrote:ETL is one of my favorites and 60 is gouging BUT I probably would fork over the money for it because I like it so much.
Same here, if I had none.
By the time I get through my next two bottles at some point next year or in 2017, 60 may not seem like gouging.
User avatar
reddog76
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Danno1 wrote:
Crash607 wrote:
Danno1 wrote:
Crash if you have never had ETL, I would go ahead and drop the $60 on it. It is a fantastic bourbon and may easily fall into your top 2. My opinion is weighted personally because I have had a few bottles and just find other's in that price range I prefer.

Okay I'll pull the trigger on it! Another question! Do you think the regular double Oakes is worth it? Or was it only the single barrel double Oaked WR that you were so enthused about?

Absolutely worth it to me.
Agreed. Double oaked WR is awesome.
User avatar
jesseindisguise
Art Expert
Posts: 3676
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: Bed-Stuy

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:48 pm

The 12 Year Weller at $60 is a strong buy as most are headed north of $99...same with Elmer. Odd shops might have it for less, but the whiskey isn't being released as plentifully as it used to be, and Elmer hisself done died.
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.
User avatar
mtarail
Art Expert
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: AZ

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:48 pm

It's all a matter of opinion, but I far prefer the Weller 107 to the Weller 12. I wouldn't buy Weller 12 at face. IMO plenty of better stuff out there in that price range, like Elijah Craig, Four Roses small batch, and Old Grand Dad 114. But I see that it's seems to be available at sticker price here and there online.

https://www.klwines.com/Products/i?i=630027
User avatar
padelimike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:23 am

mtarail wrote: I see that it's seems to be available at sticker price here and there online.

https://www.klwines.com/Products/i?i=630027
but they don't have any
User avatar
Crash607
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 am
Location: Chicagoland area

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 am

yea, waitlist...
Post Reply