World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 05, 2015 1:31 pm

padelimike wrote:
Solar wrote:Anyone else grab the EH Taylor Cured Oak off the PA site?
congrats!

I did, but they were sold out by the time my transaction finished, so there was no point to posting it here like I did with the Willett Ryes.
Took only 35 seconds to put my sale through, and I already had this thread up, so I dropped the link in the reply box as I "tried" to put another sale through.
When it came up "quantity zero," I killed the page without posting.
Yeah, I attempted to cart another as well since the site was flying, but no dice. Sold out super fast.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2015 2:39 pm

You all constantly on the look out for limited releases, are you all Flippin', Collectin', or Drinkin' the booze?
rubberneck
Art God

Tue May 05, 2015 2:50 pm

cadeallaw wrote:You all constantly on the look out for limited releases, are you all Flippin', Collectin', or Drinkin' the booze?
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Personally for me its all about the drinking and actually enjoying it. I spent a whole boat load of years drinking this "stuff" having no idea what it really was other than a means to a quick buzz.

Took a lot of patience and testing for me to personally recognize the individual characteristics of one bottle from any other. But man once I did it has been a real frickin joy to experience. I am fascinated with the history, process and nuances of it all.

TPS will only have the 3 basic bottles of Four Roses this weekend, nothing special at all for the visit. So I will not head down.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 05, 2015 3:37 pm

cadeallaw wrote:You all constantly on the look out for limited releases, are you all Flippin', Collectin', or Drinkin' the booze?
Collecting first,
drinking second.

I already have so many open bottles of spirits I enjoy.
I'll probably try the Cured Oak though. That sounds intriguing.

Solar wrote: I attempted to cart another
Second account?
I only have one email address and one credit card.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2015 4:41 pm

I have, in my opinion, what amounts to a pretty substantial booze collection. I have a 'booze cart' and bottles have spilled out onto the floor cuz my cart doesn't have anymore room. What is substantial? Well... I have (off the top of my head)
Bourbon: 10 or 12 bottles
Scotch: 9 or so bottles
Rye: 3 bottles
Irish: 2 bottles
Gin: 4 bottles
Tequila: 5 bottles
Rum: 3 bottles
Vodka (for wife): 6 bottles of various flavors that she mixes with various sparkling beverages
prolly some other booze i'm forgetting, wife's coffee liquor, Japanese whiskey, Pimms, corn or honey whiskey, etc.

My most expensive bottles are:
Bourbon: $120 (Widow Jane- Bloody Butcher)
Scotch: $110 (Ardbeg Galileo)
Tequila: $50 or so

anywho, I'm a drinker... and as a drinker, i've yet to buy an expensive bottle that has really exceeded my standard drinkers in awesomeness (Four Roses Small Batch & Eagle Rare @ $30ish; Laphroaig 10 year for scotch), at least not so much so that I could honestly justify the significant price increase. Now i have had more expensive bottles that i've really liked, but not enough to force out the previously mentioned bottles as my go to drinks.... and if it is a limited release, one had better not get too accustomed to it because supply will eventually diminish and all that will be left is sadness... sadness and despair.

What is the point of all this? Not sure... I guess I just couldn't regularly justify forking over $100 a pop for limited edition booze that will likely be gone in a month, or if not, take residency on my already crowded floor if i'm afraid to finish it (as some of my other bottles have done)...and...and... for booze that I'm likely to think to myself, "Now although good, I can't help but think that FRSB is as good or better"
Last edited by cadeallaw on Tue May 05, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Right now I have 8 bottles of booze left, all of which are either whiskey or bourbon. 6 of those being close to half empty. The most I have paid was $52 for the ETL, but that had to be shipped to my house from California so there was a $15 shipping fee. As of right now I will not pay more than $50 or so for a bottle. I think I would honestly pass on Pappy if it was sitting on a shelf at retail, I think thats a lot of money. I keep passing on Bookers because of its $60 price here locally, though it is $49 at tps.

Cade have you been to The Century lately? I guess its a total bourbon bar now. I used to eat lunch there every Thursday when I worked downtown years ago.
stay thirsty my friends
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Danno1 wrote:Right now I have 8 bottles of booze left, all of which are either whiskey or bourbon. 6 of those being close to half empty. The most I have paid was $52 for the ETL, but that had to be shipped to my house from California so there was a $15 shipping fee. As of right now I will not pay more than $50 or so for a bottle. I think I would honestly pass on Pappy if it was sitting on a shelf at retail, I think thats a lot of money. I keep passing on Bookers because of its $60 price here locally, though it is $49 at tps.

Cade have you been to The Century lately? I guess its a total bourbon bar now. I used to eat lunch there every Thursday when I worked downtown years ago.
I have gone there a few times, but not nearly as much as one would think... especially considering that my office was only three blocks away up until this January.

My thoughts: Really cool place, but a bit pricey... bourbon that would run you $6.00 or $7.00 a glass other places would cost you about $9.00 there. Selection is remarkable though, it has been written up multiple times as one of the better bourbon bars in the US. Definitely work checking out... i say we go sometime after work in the next few weeks
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Sounds good.
stay thirsty my friends
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 pm

padelimike wrote:
Solar wrote: I attempted to cart another
Second account?
I only have one email address and one credit card.
Yeah, I have an account with my wife's info too. I've never successfully used it, but figured it couldn't hurt to have just in case.
ceevee
Art Expert

Wed May 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Interesting read - 'Bourbon Empire' Reveals The Smoke And Mirrors Of American Whiskey:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/0 ... an-whiskey
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 pm

It's all about Mac 18 for me. All day long
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
MrWorldWide
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 07, 2015 12:38 am

Thanks ceevee I'll give that a read.

I'm new to the whiskey scene. I need some good recommendations to start with. Been in the craft beer scene before wanting to make the switch
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Thu May 07, 2015 1:01 am

MrWorldWide wrote:Thanks ceevee I'll give that a read.

I'm new to the whiskey scene. I need some good recommendations to start with. Been in the craft beer scene before wanting to make the switch
My whiskey recommendations at various price points:

$20- Bushmills Irish Whiskey
$25- Buffalo Trace bourbon; Bulleit Rye
$30- Four Roses Small Batch bourbon; Eagle Rare 10 yr bourbon; Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 2005 bourbon
$35- Michter's Small Batch bourbon; Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey
$40- Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon; Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch bourbon
$50- Laphroaig 10 year Scotch; Ardbeg 10 year Scotch; Blanton's bourbon

note1: If you want a lighter bourbon, try Angel's Envy or Basil Hayden's- both run around $40 i believe
reddog76
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 12, 2015 9:25 am

padelimike, you are awesome! Thank you so much for your help.

I appreciate all of the info you give me so much.