World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:00 pm

rut roh

"As of April 1st Willett Pot Still Reserve will be going from a Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey to a Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey. The packaging will remain the same with one notable exception: The strip stamp language will change from "Bottle No. ___ of ___ from Single Barrel No. ___" to "Small Batch Bourbon made in Kentucky-Batch No. ____."

reddog76
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:10 am

Saw that. What the hell does that mean?

I bought one of those when you gave me the heads up.

I haven't opened it yet though.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:22 am

reddog76 wrote:Saw that. What the hell does that mean?
it might taste different

the new Canadian Club Sherry Cask no longer sports the 8-year age statement
they sell it as the same product, but it's nowhere near as good as it was
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:59 am

reddog76 wrote:Saw that. What the hell does that mean?.
Willett was using sourced rye for a long time from Indiana. Their bourbon was sourced too, but I'm not sure if it was Kentucky or MGP/Indiana bourbon.

I was never a fan of Willett's sourced bourbon, but I was a fan of their sourced rye.

Long-story-short is that if there's anything on Willett's label that indicates that all of their bourbon is estate-sourced, I'd jump all over it. But most likely it's sourced bourbon still, since anything that Willett distilled themselves which is still aging is going to be pretty young.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:50 am

mtarail wrote:anything that Willett distilled themselves which is still aging is going to be pretty young.
the 2-year rye is sublime
chan011
Art Expert

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:44 pm

went to the Suntory Distillery when i was in Japan a few weeks back. didnt get to do the tour since that was sold out, but went straight to the tasting room.
oldest whiskey they had available to taste was a 30 year Hibiki. a lot of the whiskeys were 100-400 yen but the older stuff was 2500-3000 yen.

i figured i will never buy a 25 year let along see one for sale so i had to do the tasting (i was wrong, duty free had a couple bottles of yamasaki for $2,500US). I would rather have 10 bottles of 18 year than 1 25 but it was really smooth.

more pics when i get around to editing them
dwyutzey wrote:
chan011 wrote:from my instagram. havent edited pics yet

left to right #yamazaki0year #yamazaki25year #hakushu25year
tell us more. A friend just turned me onto the Yamazaki 18. It was pretty sublime and definitely piqued my interest to Japanese whiskies. I can't imagine the 25! Unfortunately, for me, my budget pretty much runs out of steam at the 12 :(
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:21 pm

padelimike wrote:
mtarail wrote:anything that Willett distilled themselves which is still aging is going to be pretty young.
the 2-year rye is sublime
No doubt. I was plugging it myself here about 6 months ago. It's awesome now, and the barrels that they're still aging are only gonna get better.
dwyutzey
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:50 pm

chan011 wrote:went to the Suntory Distillery when i was in Japan a few weeks back. didnt get to do the tour since that was sold out, but went straight to the tasting room.
oldest whiskey they had available to taste was a 30 year Hibiki. a lot of the whiskeys were 100-400 yen but the older stuff was 2500-3000 yen.

i figured i will never buy a 25 year let along see one for sale so i had to do the tasting (i was wrong, duty free had a couple bottles of yamasaki for $2,500US). I would rather have 10 bottles of 18 year than 1 25 but it was really smooth.

more pics when i get around to editing them
dwyutzey wrote:
chan011 wrote:from my instagram. havent edited pics yet

left to right #yamazaki0year #yamazaki25year #hakushu25year
tell us more. A friend just turned me onto the Yamazaki 18. It was pretty sublime and definitely piqued my interest to Japanese whiskies. I can't imagine the 25! Unfortunately, for me, my budget pretty much runs out of steam at the 12 :(
sounds awesome. what a rare and special opportunity!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:30 pm

TPS in Cincinnati got 16 bottles of Willet Single Barrel Pot Still in Friday, my son lives 15 min from there. I didnt find out about until Sunday so I call the store, they have 6 left. Call my son and ask if he can go and grab me a bottle, he is too busy, he will go tomorrow. He went today at 6pm and of course it was sold out.

Cant wait to return that favor.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Danno1 wrote:TPS in Cincinnati got 16 bottles of Willet Single Barrel Pot Still in Friday, my son lives 15 min from there. I didnt find out about until Sunday so I call the store, they have 6 left. Call my son and ask if he can go and grab me a bottle, he is too busy, he will go tomorrow. He went today at 6pm and of course it was sold out.

How much were they selling for?
I'm about to compare the Single Barrel with the Small batch, head-to-head.
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 am

$38.99

My daughter in Orlando is going to the store that had it down there a few months ago. I think it was $43.
stay thirsty my friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:34 pm

A 26 year employee, what a guy.
stay thirsty my friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

padelimike wrote:
Danno1 wrote:TPS in Cincinnati got 16 bottles of Willet Single Barrel Pot Still in Friday, my son lives 15 min from there. I didnt find out about until Sunday so I call the store, they have 6 left. Call my son and ask if he can go and grab me a bottle, he is too busy, he will go tomorrow. He went today at 6pm and of course it was sold out.

How much were they selling for?
I'm about to compare the Single Barrel with the Small batch, head-to-head.
Is the single barrel worth a 110 mile round trip drive? TPS got more in today, my son is being a real jack hole about that really long 15 minute drive he would have to make. I am off tomorrow and kind of had other plans but if its worth it I might make the trip. EDIT: What the hell, he actually decided to drive all that way there in the car I provide for him and then text me on the iphone 6 that I bought him and pay the monthly bill on that he actually picked me a bottle! What a pal. I guess I better go online and pay his college tuition now while I am thinking about it.

Cracked open the Buffalo Trace this evening. Very strong alcohol taste on the end neat, cut it with one cube of ice and that knocks a lot of that away. Very mild on the nose, wasn't expecting such a kick with it. Overall not really impressed with it, not bad but definitely middle of the road.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:43 am

Update - 4/23

Pennsylvania people: Orphan Barrel Forged Oak is back and available for purchase online.

also, High West Son of Bourye is back

Danno1 wrote: Is the single barrel worth a 110 mile round trip drive?

EDIT: What the hell, he actually decided to drive all that way there ... and ... picked me a bottle!
I guess it depends on your preferred flavor profile. Personal taste is personal.

My findings:

The small batch was spicier at the same ABV. More of a straightforward classic "bourbon taste"
The single barrel, or at least the bottles I've tried, is considerably smoother, with a much more complex set of flavors.
This was especially apparent (to me) in its longer sweeter finish.

If I knew of a place 55 miles away where I could pick up 3 or 4 bottles, I absolutely would make that drive.

Your mileage may vary?
I look forward to your thoughts on the two spirits.