World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Crash607
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 am

We've got several awesome grain to bottle distilleries here in Chicago. To name a few, well... FEW, Koval, and Quincy Street would have to be my favorites. I did see that article maden. I strive to stear clear of that fudge.
hellosir
Art Freak

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 am

wizdom wrote:Birthday haul :D

Redbreast!
How do you think that compares to the other fancy stuff in here?
Crash607
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 am

200 :clap:
mtarail
Art Expert

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 pm

hellosir wrote:
wizdom wrote:Birthday haul :D

Redbreast!
How do you think that compares to the other fancy stuff in here?
I should start by saying that I really wanted to like Irish whiskey. I've tried quite a few and I gotta admit that I'm generally not a fan.

Redbreast is the exception. IMO, it's right there with high end scotches. And even better than the reg redbreast is the cask strength variant.

On the other hand, if you like traditional Irish whiskies and don't like scotches, this may be one to stay away from.
fredo
Art God

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:52 am

Yeah, Redbreast is delicious but it's not your typical Irish.
just a foil for me today, thanks
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 am

mtarail wrote: I should start by saying that I really wanted to like Irish whiskey. I've tried quite a few and I gotta admit that I'm generally not a fan.
I can understand not wanting to spend money on it (although it is usually rather inexpensive), but how can you not like it? It is the most inoffensive booze I can think of at 80 proof... Smooth to a fault in that most think that it is just boring.
mtarail
Art Expert

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 am

cadeallaw wrote:
mtarail wrote: I should start by saying that I really wanted to like Irish whiskey. I've tried quite a few and I gotta admit that I'm generally not a fan.
I can understand not wanting to spend money on it (although it is usually rather inexpensive), but how can you not like it? It is the most inoffensive booze I can think of at 80 proof... Smooth to a fault in that most think that it is just boring.
Not a fan, but I wouldn't say that I downright don't like it. It is smooth. But generally I'm looking for flavor first and foremost, not smoothness. That's how you got me interested in Laphroiag in the first place, cadeallaw!

I heard one critic say that the biggest taste difference between scotch and Irish whiskey is in the back of the mouth and throat. When you drink a scotch (or a decent bourbon), you can taste some depth or weight as you're drinking. (Which I personally like.) Whereas with most Irish whiskies, they are very light.

I assume that comes from the fact that Irish whiskies are typically triple distilled. And if you check out the Redbreast review by Ralfy, there's a spot where he mentions triple distillation in Irish whiskies, and that he was not sure that Redbreast was triple distilled. Redbreast tastes very different to me than any other Irish I've tried.

At the end of the day, I'd generally prefer to drop $ on bourbon or scotch than Irish whiskey's, (with Redbreast being the exception that I always have a bottle of.) Entry level Irish whiskies are cheap, but you can get plenty of good bourbons for $20-$30 bucks--Old Grand Dad 114 is awesome, Russell's Reserve, Evan Williams single barrel, etc.

Even the high end triple distilled Irish whiskey's, (for example, Powers Johns Lane) did not do much for me, and at $50, there are a lot of great bourbons and scotches out there.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:19 pm

mtarail wrote: Not a fan, but I wouldn't say that I downright don't like it. It is smooth. But generally I'm looking for flavor first and foremost, not smoothness. That's how you got me interested in Laphroiag in the first place, cadeallaw!

I heard one critic say that the biggest taste difference between scotch and Irish whiskey is in the back of the mouth and throat. When you drink a scotch (or a decent bourbon), you can taste some depth or weight as you're drinking. (Which I personally like.) Whereas with most Irish whiskies, they are very light.

I assume that comes from the fact that Irish whiskies are typically triple distilled. And if you check out the Redbreast review by Ralfy, there's a spot where he mentions triple distillation in Irish whiskies, and that he was not sure that Redbreast was triple distilled. Redbreast tastes very different to me than any other Irish I've tried.

At the end of the day, I'd generally prefer to drop $ on bourbon or scotch than Irish whiskey's, (with Redbreast being the exception that I always have a bottle of.) Entry level Irish whiskies are cheap, but you can get plenty of good bourbons for $20-$30 bucks--Old Grand Dad 114 is awesome, Russell's Reserve, Evan Williams single barrel, etc.

Even the high end triple distilled Irish whiskey's, (for example, Powers Johns Lane) did not do much for me, and at $50, there are a lot of great bourbons and scotches out there.
Yeah, Laphroaig and Irish Whiskey are definitely two different animals... although Connemara has a "Peated" Irish Whiskey I would like to try if i could ever find it. I like Redbreast, and will have a glass whenever I find myself at an Irish Pub... however I can never see myself buying a bottle of it for $60-$65 dollars... For that money, i'm buying the Laphroaig cask strength. In my home bar, I have a bottle of the Bushmills white ($21) and the Bushmills Black Bush ($35) and those two fulfill all of my Irish Whiskey needs and don't break the bank doing it. Speaking of whiskey prices- bourbon prices have gone up a buck or two a bottle on just about everything in the past year :evil: whereas Scotch (and Irish) prices seems to have stayed put. Not that a buck or two increase is a deal breaker, but I do find it to be a pretty significant price hike within a short period of time.

Fun Fact: Redbreast 12 yr seems to be the preferred whiskey of hipsters... not sure why or how that came about.
fredo
Art God

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:02 pm

I've mentioned it before but if you're feeling adventurous and Irish try the single malt Knappogue Castle. They release vintage bottlings as well as 12, 14, & 16 year old varieties. I've enjoyed everything I've tried so far.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mtarail
Art Expert

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Just picked up a bottle of Willett 2 year rye. Hoping it's good!

It's the first Willett rye that the business has made themselves in a long time. Distilled, aged, and bottled on their site in Bardstown, Ky. Even though the stuff they were previously selling under their name was sourced hooch from MGP, it was really good.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 pm

mtarail wrote:Just picked up a bottle of Willett 2 year rye. Hoping it's good!

It's the first Willett rye that the business has made themselves in a long time. Distilled, aged, and bottled on their site in Bardstown, Ky. Even though the stuff they were previously selling under their name was sourced hooch from MGP, it was really good.
Sounds interesting... Keep me posted.

Will also keep eyes peeled for knoppogue castle, Irish seems to be kind of limited here though
ksn
Art Expert

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Looking for something spicy. Wanted to try some Mortlach, has anyone had any?
ksn
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Went to get a bottle of Mortlach 15 today and brought this home instead. Haven't tried it, but looking forward to it :P

cadeallaw
Art Expert

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:59 am

^Never had it but it got a great write up this year at drinkhacker-
http://www.drinkhacker.com/2014/03/11/r ... thenticus/

"Heavily peated" is definitely intriguing
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:02 pm

cadelaww which tours have you hit up? We are going to The Old Pogue Distillery this Sunday. I will probably go to a few more throughout the week.
stay thirsty my friends