Dark Passenger 12 Langston

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 am

This topic is dedicated to: Dark Passenger 12 Langston

wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 am

Paging Olly Moss...
jagiello
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:16 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Paging Olly Moss...
Dont page Olly just call the doctor.
Note to fan artists... Olly Moss is clever, therefore by ripping his style you almost always automatically disqualify yourself from being clever by association.
This isn't even a clever visual pun. Just a wild swing and miss at an Olly visual play.
did your myan girlfriend miss her myan period ?
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:39 pm

jagiello wrote:
Note to fan artists... Olly Moss is clever, therefore by ripping his style you almost always automatically disqualify yourself from being clever by association.
This isn't even a clever visual pun. Just a wild swing and miss at an Olly visual play.
Well said.

Minimalism is one thing, a style that is obviously bigger than Moss and other folks, but this is nothing more than theft.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
jagiello wrote:
Well said.

Minimalism is one thing, a style that is obviously bigger than Moss and other folks, but this is nothing more than theft.
Is it considered theft, if everyone recognizes this as obviously not Olly?

I picture an artist pitching to a bunch of suits (that have no idea who Olly is) a simple clever image. They eat it up and wonder why no one buys an image that is so clever and simple. The artist shrugs is shoulders and walks to the bank.
Stupid Suits.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Nevermind, he's done this before :shock:

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:54 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:Nevermind, he's done this before :shock:
Fixed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
HunterLangston

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:30 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:
jagiello wrote:
Well said.

Is it considered theft, if everyone recognizes this as obviously not Olly?

I picture an artist pitching to a bunch of suits (that have no idea who Olly is) a simple clever image. They eat it up and wonder why no one buys an image that is so clever and simple. The artist shrugs is shoulders and walks to the bank.
Stupid Suits.
As the artist in question, I would never deny being strongly influenced by Olly Moss's work. He was the first artist to inspire me to do poster art. But saying i ripped him off is silly. That would be like saying he ripped off Rubin's Vase for his Indiana Jones poster, He merely took the idea and adapted, and repurposed it. Not everyone who takes a black and white photo of Yellowstone is ripping off Ansel Adams. Not every stencil artist is ripping off Banksy. I'm strongly influenced by Olly the same way he is obviously influenced by other artists like Saul Bass, Milton Glaser, or Shigeo Fukuda. Being clever and finding interesting and different ways to display imagery is one of the cores of all graphic design. Olly Moss is not the first one to come up with "clever" designs. He is however one of the best currently doing it. If I had used a gun/profile to make a Die Hard poster or something nearly identical, I could see the argument, but all I did look to his design, as inspiration to make my own.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm

HunterLangston wrote:
As the artist in question, I would never deny being strongly influenced by Olly Moss's work. He was the first artist to inspire me to do poster art. But saying i ripped him off is silly. That would be like saying he ripped off Rubin's Vase for his Indiana Jones poster, He merely took the idea and adapted, and repurposed it. Not everyone who takes a black and white photo of Yellowstone is ripping off Ansel Adams. Not every stencil artist is ripping off Banksy. I'm strongly influenced by Olly the same way he is obviously influenced by other artists like Saul Bass, Milton Glaser, or Shigeo Fukuda. Being clever and finding interesting and different ways to display imagery is one of the cores of all graphic design. Olly Moss is not the first one to come up with "clever" designs. He is however one of the best currently doing it. If I had used a gun/profile to make a Die Hard poster or something nearly identical, I could see the argument, but all I did look to his design, as inspiration to make my own.
Nicely said.
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Codeblue wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:Nevermind, he's done this before :shock:
Fixed.
Fixed again.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Not really.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Sorry man. Sounds like a rationalization.

IMO, your work here is beyond the homage approach.
Obviously Olly is influenced by a number of artistic sources. From what I have seen, you just reuse/tweak Ollys stuff directly.
downtown
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:36 pm

HunterLangston wrote: As the artist in question, I would never deny being strongly influenced by Olly Moss's work. He was the first artist to inspire me to do poster art. But saying i ripped him off is silly. That would be like saying he ripped off Rubin's Vase for his Indiana Jones poster, He merely took the idea and adapted, and repurposed it. Not everyone who takes a black and white photo of Yellowstone is ripping off Ansel Adams. Not every stencil artist is ripping off Banksy. I'm strongly influenced by Olly the same way he is obviously influenced by other artists like Saul Bass, Milton Glaser, or Shigeo Fukuda. Being clever and finding interesting and different ways to display imagery is one of the cores of all graphic design. Olly Moss is not the first one to come up with "clever" designs. He is however one of the best currently doing it. If I had used a gun/profile to make a Die Hard poster or something nearly identical, I could see the argument, but all I did look to his design, as inspiration to make my own.
If the piece itself was actually clever or vaguely unique or in some way well executed then you could make a case for it standing on it's own or being merely "influenced" by Moss.
You didn't take it conceptually or technically far enough from it's source inspiration for it to be beyond reproach. As it stands now it's just another in a long line of opportunistic bootlegs flooding the market.
Add to that copyright infringement for the illegal use of a licensed title and you have a slippery slope for it's defense as a piece of original graphic design.
If you really want to forge out as a graphic designer then you need to put your thinking cap back on, bolster your technique and be sure not to join the bootleggers club.
Best of luck. If you know who Milton Glazer is there might be hope for you yet.
brewdog123
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Served and in shock
BennyR502
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 pm