The Bat Cave 12 Richard

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
AK57BS
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:44 pm

AP up and still not sold out
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
yopauly
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm excited that I got one
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Sideshow will have a variant version tomorrow. I can't tell for the life of me what the difference is on it though.

Edit. It has Batman looking up and a Robin beside him.

automator
Nobody

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:46 pm

New image The Batcave 12 Richard - Sideshow

mohawkpalace
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 am

I have the first Batcave from Mondo, I thought it was an exceptional piece that showed the drama and the nature of the batcave with the batman alone. I find the variant to little repetitive only a minor details changed. I would actually preferred another view of the cave to show Batman and Robins action going.

I am sure many will like the variant, It is obviously printed way lesser that the 500 pcs regular release.
automator
Nobody

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 am

New image The Bat Cave 12 Richard
Mondo edition

microcosmicmedia
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:37 am

mohawkpalace wrote:I have the first Batcave from Mondo, I thought it was an exceptional piece that showed the drama and the nature of the batcave with the batman alone. I find the variant to little repetitive only a minor details changed. I would actually preferred another view of the cave to show Batman and Robins action going.
I certainly appreciate that sentiment- also hope you can still enjoy the first image on its own; they are meant to work in a sequence, or standalone

The re-use of POV for the variant was simply to focus attention on how that single change (actually 3) can turn a hopeful setting instantly tragic. The murder of Jason Todd -IMO- is the foundation for the modern 'dark' Batman character; even Miller kills Todd off before the story begins in The Dark Knight as a motivation for retirement, well before the whole DitF storyline was even written. In both timelines, that's his "second wave" of guilt (and eventual vengeance) that motivates him from that point forward-- just more fuel for his tortured psyche.
Took a lot of inspiration from this panel fyi-- may explain the more 'static' pose:
automator
Nobody

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:37 am

New image The Batcave 12 Richard
Sideshow Variant

Navinabob
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm having a rough time finding the print on the website. Is there a page to refresh yet?
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Navinabob wrote:I'm having a rough time finding the print on the website. Is there a page to refresh yet?
I think this should do it:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/listing.php? ... B%5D=Mondo
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:05 pm

microcosmicmedia wrote:
mohawkpalace wrote:I have the first Batcave from Mondo, I thought it was an exceptional piece that showed the drama and the nature of the batcave with the batman alone. I find the variant to little repetitive only a minor details changed. I would actually preferred another view of the cave to show Batman and Robins action going.
I certainly appreciate that sentiment- also hope you can still enjoy the first image on its own; they are meant to work in a sequence, or standalone

The re-use of POV for the variant was simply to focus attention on how that single change (actually 3) can turn a hopeful setting instantly tragic. The murder of Jason Todd -IMO- is the foundation for the modern 'dark' Batman character; even Miller kills Todd off before the story begins in The Dark Knight as a motivation for retirement, well before the whole DitF storyline was even written. In both timelines, that's his "second wave" of guilt (and eventual vengeance) that motivates him from that point forward-- just more fuel for his tortured psyche.
Took a lot of inspiration from this panel fyi-- may explain the more 'static' pose:
Sir, thank you very much for your explanation. One question: one change that I didn't notice at first (I would've never seen it without the moving gif on your website) is the change with the vehicle in one of the background cave/garages. Is that intentional? If so, what's going on there? Perhaps with Jason's death Bruce got rid of a vehicle that had been used by Robin?

I do enjoy these prints, and hope to complete my set by scoring one today, but I will respectfully echo the comments of others that the difference is perhaps a bit too subtle. With your explanation, I see what you were going for, but I'm not sure the variant image invoked a "hopeful" emotion. I don't necessarily get a positive, full of life type vibe, to create a contrast with the other image, if that makes sense. It just feels a little static, with both characters just standing there. Now, I'm no artist, but I can see how that would be difficult to depict. I mean, you can't exactly show them laughing, rolling on the floor having a tickle fight. Knowing that you took inspiration from that panel does help, but of course in the print the viewer doesn't have the benefit of knowing that reference to Batman's optimistic memory.

Anyway, I mean these minor critiques with all due respect. I'm a huge fan of your work, and my beautiful framed Fortress of Solitude is one of the most prominently displayed pieces in my home.

EDIT: Oh, and UP! +1!

EDIT 2: Ever thought about making a landscape Gotham print as a companion piece to FOS?
Last edited by MatchsMalone on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 pm

+1 Yaay!
jordachep
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm

+1 ya!
SerpentSociety
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 pm

I grabbed a copy. +1
MatchesMalone
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

MatchsMalone wrote: Sir, thank you very much for your explanation. One question: one change that I didn't notice at first (I would've never seen it without the moving gif on your website) is the change with the vehicle in one of the background cave/garages. Is that intentional? If so, what's going on there? Perhaps with Jason's death Bruce got rid of a vehicle that had been used by Robin?

I do enjoy these prints, and hope to complete my set by scoring one today, but I will respectfully echo the comments of others that the difference is perhaps a bit too subtle. With your explanation, I see what you were going for, but I'm not sure the variant image invoked a "hopeful" emotion. I don't necessarily get a positive, full of life type vibe, to create a contrast with the other image, if that makes sense. It just feels a little static, with both characters just standing there. Now, I'm no artist, but I can see how that would be difficult to depict. I mean, you can't exactly show them laughing, rolling on the floor having a tickle fight. Knowing that you took inspiration from that panel does help, but of course in the print the viewer doesn't have the benefit of knowing that reference to Batman's optimistic memory.

Anyway, I mean these minor critiques with all due respect. I'm a huge fan of your work, and my beautiful framed Fortress of Solitude is one of the most prominently displayed pieces in my home.

EDIT: Oh, and UP! +1!

EDIT 2: Ever thought about making a landscape Gotham print as a companion piece to FOS?
The Batmobile that is in the regular could be one of 5 different Batmobiles from the 30's to present day however none of the Batmobiles from the Jason Todd era have the "Bat-Head" on the front. The Batmobile that is in the variant looks to be a design from the 1940's; the second bona fide Batmobile and the first convertible one. The Batmobile design depicted in the variant is not associated to Jason Todd though "a" Batmobile (lamborghini countachesqe look) factored heavily into his first appearance.

Super nerdy answer - yes; However it also serves to illustrate why I am the one and only "Matches Malone" :pint: