Pearl Jam Belgium 12 Stout Soto

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
kramer73
Art Expert

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 am

ChefFerrari wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
vedder76 wrote:
timc wrote:Seems klausen and Ames have maintained there pricing over the years on PJ posters.

Yeah, but Ames sucks. They rehash more posters than anyone I ever seen. If they werent related I would have a hard time believing PJ would still use them.

I almost died when I seen they charged $200 for those past pj prints.

I would have paid $200 for a couple of those variants, but they sold out before I could get them.
Of course, I dig Ames Bros. more than a lot of gig artists -- Sperry, McPherson, Malleaus, to name a few.
I dig their take on stuff. A lot of humor.
How do you explain Ames charging $200 for the variants and Shawn Wolfe only charging $70 for his Lizard Queen variant ?
business as usual?
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 pm

There is a release discussion for all the "+1ing", folks. (correction, there isn't)

A note from Tyler about the print ...
a little about the print. it is a collaboration between jeff and i. the challenge was integrating our two different styles. we decided on the playing card idea, and jeff really pushed to have it be as realistic as possible, even going as far as printing on the back, which is a first for me. we were inspired in part by rob jones dropkick murphy poster. the poster is technically a seven color screenprint, six on the front, one on the back, with die-cut rounded edges. another first for me.

jeff finished his entire part before i'd even started mine, and it really set the bar pretty high. working with an artist i have admired since college, one of the true greats, was an awesome experience.

originally, i envisioned people hanging the poster with jeff's side up, my side down, since mine is kinda 'after death, underground', his is kinda 'above ground, life.' but that's part of the magic, you can hang it either way. or you can even trim my portion off.

i had the chance to fly down to chino, california, for the day, and jeff was gracious enough to pick me and sarah up from the airport and drive us around the whole day. we signed our prints at the same time, and got to check out In House, the screenprinting shop, who do amazing work. then jeff gave us a tour of his studio, which was awesome, and a tour of chino, his hometown. all in all a great experience, highly recommended.

so that's it, that's the story behind this print. i haven't done many collaborations before but if they're all this amazing, who knows. great times were had.
Last edited by pewter14 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Great story about the collab
Last edited by pjsteelerfan on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 pm

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:35 pm

AHEM ...
pewter14 wrote:RELEASE DISCUSSION - http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 36&t=94212

Thanks.

mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:39 pm

pewter14 wrote:AHEM ...
pewter14 wrote:RELEASE DISCUSSION - http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 36&t=94212

Thanks.
THIS PRINT LOOKS AWESOME!

better? :)
bkboy77
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:25 pm

+ 1 on the awesomeness of this poster :)
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
isunktheship
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Love this, especially the rounded corners and two-sided-ness.. is that fairly uncommon?

Didn't get one, but will be interested to see how you guys display it.
Creation88 wrote:no top tier artists: no stout, no moss, no taylor, no horkey, no ansin
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:37 pm

isunktheship wrote:Love this, especially the rounded corners and two-sided-ness.. is that fairly uncommon?

push pins
brewdog123
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:46 pm

isunktheship wrote:Love this, especially the rounded corners and two-sided-ness.. is that fairly uncommon?

my windowsill.
blog
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 pm

This might be the coolest gig poster I've ever seen.

If i liked Pearl Jam, I would stop at nothing to obtain it.
╭∩╮ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ╭∩╮
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:19 pm

blog wrote:This might be the coolest gig poster I've ever seen.

If i liked Pearl Jam, I would stop at nothing to obtain it.
how many have you seen? :D
kramer73
Art Expert

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:26 pm

bkboy77 wrote:people also using this as trade bait for a Horkey LOTR.
so a $100 poster for an $85 poster?
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 am

kramer73 wrote:
bkboy77 wrote:people also using this as trade bait for a Horkey LOTR.
so a $100 poster for an $85 poster?
Well 2 people said so. I'll pay 85 for a Horkey LOTR if you have one. :wink:
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
bk
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am

sasquatch wrote:
tj wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
jojobadass wrote:When you can buy vintage PJ a/p's from 2000 and 2003 for the same price......I don't see how you can justify a new release for the same amount.

And I don't think chuck or emek are doing themselves any favors either. They're essentially mortgaging their future as they are pricing out the entire next generation of fans/poster collectors. Like I said, this isn't a stout/soto issue.....this is a serious problem across the entire industry.
The sky is falling!
Holy fudge. It MUST be a sign of the 2012 The End Times b/c jojo and I actually see eye to eye on this. I seriously don't know how people can even get into this hobby anymore.

And it's not "just flippers" that see this as a problem. I know artists that see it as a problem as well as sane, rational collectors. And if you think the "collectors" in this thread are only collectors and not flippers themselves, you're crazy.
This.
Ha... I was thinking the exact same thing! JoJo and I eye to eye

I tried to price out flippers with the south america poster... $300 a pop... figured that would deter them or at least make their profit not worth it... a few collectors were willing to fork over the cash, but mostly I just priced out every one and sat on a stack of little under 200 posters for a couple of years until I lowered the prices down to $150 then again down to $50. JoJo will tell ya... but that finally helped me move them all.

Originally when I started, I sold all my posters for $25... figured that was the point, made it affordable. For those of you who were at the first flatstock I attended whatever year that was, you'll recall I had easy st.'s for $25... then ames suggested I sell my pj posters for $60, as that's what they sell theirs for... which I was more then happy to do. All my other gigposters have always been $25-30. From my experience, Pearl Jam's really the only band I've seen that people are willing to pay more for the posters... and I think that's been obvious to any one paying attention... kinda why it's a sought after gig.

Personally, I don't care about the long term value of my prints, I care about two things... one, that people like the art and two, that I can move the inventory and get paid for the job... cause that's how most of us get paid... the bands pay you in posters and you hope you can sell them. If the poster becomes sought after and goes up in value, that's just a bonus... if that doesn't happen but I sold all the prints, I don't care what it's worth tomorrow because it's today I need to put food on the table.

But I agree... it seems something needs to give, so that we the artists can continue making art that the fans of this art can afford to enjoy. Flippers will never go away, it's a part of not only the art world, but the world.

By the way, I love this print... think it's one of the coolest illustrations I've seen in a long time... and if I was someone who liked signatures and whatnot, I think $100 is worth it for a piece of art like this.