Pearl Jam Belgium 12 Stout Soto

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Maybe it's psychological, but I can handle $30 posters becoming $40 posters and then evolving to $50 far better than I can handle seeing $40 posters become $75 or $100 or even $150 (see RonDon Clapton posters) posters overnight, regardlless of the rationalization. Coachella poster pricing, for exampe, has not become the standard show pricing for EMEK art, and should not become a defacto pricing standard in general, just because one awesomely talented artist prices his work in a shockingly increased manner for a given event. Even Emek posters continue to sell at shows like moe.down for $25 or so. But the industry seems to me to take a look at a one-off and translate it to a market change in price/value, or a general revenue opportunity.
I think I halfway understand economics and supply/demand dynamics, but there is a significant grass roots, middle class component to rock & roll collectibles that transcends my awareness/understanding. for example, how can Tool sell their t-shirts for $80 or so at their shows, when most everyone else sells theirs for half that amount?
Just my 2 cents worth.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
clem99
EB Team

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Maybe it's psychological, but I can handle $30 posters becoming $40 posters and then evolving to $50 far better than I can handle seeing $40 posters become $75 or $100 or even $150 (see RonDon Clapton posters) posters overnight, regardlless of the rationalization. Coachella poster pricing, for exampe, has not become the standard show pricing for EMEK art, and should not become a defacto pricing standard in general, just because one awesomely talented artist prices his work in a shockingly increased manner for a given event. Even Emek posters continue to sell at shows like moe.down for $25 or so. But the industry seems to me to take a look at a one-off and translate it to a market change in price/value, or a general revenue opportunity.
I think I halfway understand economics and supply/demand dynamics, but there is a significant grass roots, middle class component to rock & roll collectibles that transcends my awareness/understanding. for example, how can Tool sell their t-shirts for $80 or so at their shows, when most everyone else sells theirs for half that amount?
Just my 2 cents worth.
does each artist get 100 each to sell or 50 each, plus kozik sold his for $100 as well ?, maybe he can come in here and discuss, he's pretty frank
art is the only justification for pain :)
timc
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Seems klausen and Ames have maintained there pricing over the years on PJ posters.
Everything woke turns to fudge.
America First.
https://lowfshop.com/
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey clem,
Did Kozik sell his at a show for $100, or was it his online price that was $100. It may be splitting hairs, but I'm talking more about show prices than online prices. Online pricing is a somewhat separate discussion in my way of thinking.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
clem99
EB Team

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Hey clem,
Did Kozik sell his at a show for $100, or was it his online price that was $100. It may be splitting hairs, but I'm talking more about show prices than online prices. Online pricing is a somewhat separate discussion in my way of thinking.
oh i thought you were talking online artist prices, i doubt the PJ prints are $100 a pop at the gig, as a matter of interest the cooper/taylor collab is/was approx $30 at 10c last week as a presale
art is the only justification for pain :)
vedder76
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 pm

timc wrote:Seems klausen and Ames have maintained there pricing over the years on PJ posters.

Yeah, but Ames sucks. They rehash more posters than anyone I ever seen. If they werent related I would have a hard time believing PJ would still use them.

I almost died when I seen they charged $200 for those past pj prints.
timc
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 pm

vedder76 wrote:
timc wrote:Seems klausen and Ames have maintained there pricing over the years on PJ posters.

Yeah, but Ames sucks. They rehash more posters than anyone I ever seen. If they werent related I would have a hard time believing PJ would still use them.

I almost died when I seen they charged $200 for those past pj prints.
they don't suck just not your style! Ya they charged 200 for the variants,,reg editions are always the same price.

honestly it will be hard not to buy this print for 100
Everything woke turns to fudge.
America First.
https://lowfshop.com/
rovingambler
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 pm

I personally feel that if a well known, highly respected "gig artist" wanted $100-$200 for their signature and number on a fine piece of art work...by all means, it's worth it...

and if those same fine pieces of art work sell for $30 at a show...by all means...it's worth it...

guess what this boils down to is the "seriousness of the collector"...value is a fluid notion.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 pm

clem99 wrote:
Rick_a_c wrote:Hey clem,
Oh i thought you were talking online artist prices, i doubt the PJ prints are $100 a pop at the gig, as a matter of interest the cooper/taylor collab is/was approx $30 at 10c last week as a presale
Oops. I thought we were talking online too. Show posters should absolutely be lower...I thought the bands and their merch folks set those prices, no?

10c consistently sells posters for $30, no matter which artist. They're not signed or numbered typically but the price is certainly right!
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm

timc wrote:honestly it will be hard not to buy this print for 100
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 pm

I think Coachella had to eat a lot of EMEK posters this year at least the variants
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:48 pm

I think you're probably right, Rugby. And if memory serves me correctly, last year the price dropped dramatically from the day 1 price, on both editions that were for sale at the festival.

The thing that gets me about show editions is when show posters aren't even made available at the show they are made for. I know there are occasional legitimate reasons for not having a print ready in time or poor transportation logistics, or even not being able to sign and/or number them. But the entire regular edition of a show poster should be sold at the show. Period. Then if an artist is able to negotiate selling a separate artist edition, or a traditional percent of the run (e.g., 10%) as AP's or a disclosed/numbered/published quantity of variants, I have no problem whatsoever with the prices being different, because I see that as a different situation. Again, just my two cents worth.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Sad thing is that they didn't drop the price this year at either of the dates.

I wanted the variant and a PB said that there was a stack of them left on the last night and no budge in price...sad
jojobadass
Art God

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Coachella fest sells the current years print for $125.

Yet, you can buy last year's poster at this year's festival for $40.

Perfect example of industry greed. Just wait until next year to buy the failip poster.....not one print has sold out since they started pulling that BS. You can buy every print back to 2009 for $40.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 pm

They're actually $50.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.