Grateful Dead NYC 70

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Tatro1978

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:25 am

zigmeisterxiv wrote:
Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm
So I've returned to this forum and decided to post a comparison of the original and reprinted full-size poster if anyone needs to identify one.

Here is a closeup of the upper fork section of the bike in the poster

The original poster is on the right and the copy on the left. Even though the left (copy) photo is slightly blurry, I think you can see the differences in the two areas indicated by the arrows.

The right arrow shows a level of detail in the bottom of the spring with about 5 or 6 shadow pieces that are reminiscent of a group of islands, the large one on the left with smaller ones moving right. In the copy the left "island" has merged into the shadow above and the smaller "islands" to its right are gone.

The left arrow shows the shadow in the third ring down. There is clearly a white area between the shadow and the outline of the next ring down. In the copy that white area is gone as the black has merged into the next ring.

While the copy is good, throughout the poster there are areas where the detail does not match that of the original. This is merely one example.

If anyone has any doubt about theirs, if you send me a close-up of this area of your poster (below) I will compare it to the 2 samples I have of original posters.

Remember, this is for the original full size poster, and not the "Avant Garde" smaller version. That one has alot of the original elements missing.

Rock On!

- zig

Hi Zig,
I feel this may be an original. Would you please give me your opinion. Thanks
Brooksbassmom@gmail.com
tiedyedmind wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm
Can someone please confirm the paper stock and the exact dimensions of this original poster? Is it exactly 23 x 35, or slightly different?
I have a guy with one that looks authentic, but size is 22-9/16" x 35-1/8"; printed on a heavy stock, and I am trying to see what I can find out.
As far as the reprints and bootlegs, are they all the smaller size, or are there any known large reprints/bootlegs? There is talk of three printings but only 2 on the dropdown here. I appreciate all info. Thanks!
Tatro1978

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 am

Hi,
I found this Gem in a house clean out in Massachusetts. I feel it could be an original ?
The color is correct (Zigs comparison photos) It’s in rough shape but , who knows it could be an original?
Any help would be great !
Zig if you see this would you check it out ?
Thanks for your time and help.
Bassmom
Tatro1978

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 am

Help
Does this look like an original ?

gordo55
Art Expert

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:37 pm

If it's 23"x 35" it's likely a 1st printing. According to the database, there was a smaller 2nd edition.
THC
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:15 am

very cool
zigmeisterxiv

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:26 am

After pulling out my scan of my original poster and looking more closely at your photo, I'm sorry to report yours is a copy.

This is probably the copy that has been around a while, but it's not that old. If you can view the photo I've posted here of the bikes shock absorbers you can see a level of sharpness and complexity that is missing in yours

There are other things, especially the faint blades of grass.

Sorry about that, it's still a great poster for display far as I'm concerned.

Aloha,

Z