Grateful Dead NYC 70

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
geezer
Art Expert

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:38 pm

mfs67 wrote:Wolfgang's Vault sold one for $1,701 in their September Big Ticket auction.
tiedyedmind
Art Enthusiast

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:23 pm

There is a stack of these that were just unearthed and the client of the same eBay seller is averaging $2000 +/- each with no sign of oversupply vs. demand.
fredo
Art God

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 pm

tiedyedmind wrote:There is a stack of these that were just unearthed and the client of the same eBay seller is averaging $2000 +/- each with no sign of oversupply vs. demand.
Is it widely known that the newfound stack exists?
just a foil for me today, thanks
tiedyedmind
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Can someone please confirm the paper stock and the exact dimensions of this original poster? Is it exactly 23 x 35, or slightly different?
I have a guy with one that looks authentic, but size is 22-9/16" x 35-1/8"; printed on a heavy stock, and I am trying to see what I can find out.
As far as the reprints and bootlegs, are they all the smaller size, or are there any known large reprints/bootlegs? There is talk of three printings but only 2 on the dropdown here. I appreciate all info. Thanks!
tiedyedmind
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:25 pm

I want to share some more info I have collected while trying to understand these recent (large) posters that are now showing up.
According to one seller, the way they obtained their poster:

"The poster was purchased in 1973 from a Classified ad in Interview Magazine, April 1973 issue, which was printed by Andy Warhol Films, Inc. (company was located at 33 Union Sq West, New York NY 10003). The person who sold the poster gave no details other than that the posters were commissioned and printed, but were not paid for."

I am currently trying to get a hold of an April 1973 Interview Magazine to verify this.

In the mean time, thanks to the intense work of zigmeister, there are ever so slight differences discovered between his poster (which he obtained in 1973 with the impression it was original, which we are assuming it is) and a poster recently sold on eBay, where while ever so slight does have differences that support the possibility of another printing. Whether from the same run or a few years later no one knows. Maybe I am wrong, but aside from what zigs comparisons point out, the overall quality and multiple areas that are artistically tough to match do match up and compare correctly with the 'older owned' poster, I do not know if this is a pirated copy. There are too many factors supporting a better explanation, especially if the 1973 classified ad in Warhol's Interview Magazine be confirmed.

Were there two original printings? Was there a subsequent printing for those being sold in 1973?
I can only speculate until I get some tangible facts as to the variations we are seeing.

Hoping those who own one of these can chime in and share their thoughts and add to the comparisons we are working on and will ask zig to post his comparisons and the hard work he has been doing..
Thanks.
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Hoping those who own one of these can chime in and share their thoughts and add to the comparisons we are working on and will ask zig to post his comparisons and the hard work he has been doing..
Thanks.[/quote]

this
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Parrish02
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Unfortunately, there is a new fake that is the size of the original poster being sold on EBay that emanates from the source of the original posters. (And is being sold by the seller of the originals, despite being told they are fake)

We guess that the windfall profit from finding the hoard was not enough and they got greedy and decided to sell fakes also. While they look good in the pictures, they are printed on different paper and are not silk screens. The paper used has a pebbly texture and is much thicker than the originals. These appear to have been printed by the giclée process, a digital print made on an inkjet printer. The details on the fake is mushy and differs from the originals in numerous ways. If you have any question about these fakes, feel free to contact us via email - not PM.

Mike Storeim
Classic Posters, Inc.
http://www.classicposters.com
info@classicposters.com
Mike Storeim
Classic Posters, Inc.
http://www.classicposters.com
zigmeisterxiv

Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

So I've returned to this forum and decided to post a comparison of the original and reprinted full-size poster if anyone needs to identify one.

Here is a closeup of the upper fork section of the bike in the poster

The original poster is on the right and the copy on the left. Even though the left (copy) photo is slightly blurry, I think you can see the differences in the two areas indicated by the arrows.

The right arrow shows a level of detail in the bottom of the spring with about 5 or 6 shadow pieces that are reminiscent of a group of islands, the large one on the left with smaller ones moving right. In the copy the left "island" has merged into the shadow above and the smaller "islands" to its right are gone.

The left arrow shows the shadow in the third ring down. There is clearly a white area between the shadow and the outline of the next ring down. In the copy that white area is gone as the black has merged into the next ring.

While the copy is good, throughout the poster there are areas where the detail does not match that of the original. This is merely one example.

If anyone has any doubt about theirs, if you send me a close-up of this area of your poster (below) I will compare it to the 2 samples I have of original posters.

Remember, this is for the original full size poster, and not the "Avant Garde" smaller version. That one has alot of the original elements missing.

Rock On!

- zig
gamehendge02
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm

I recently acquired an original 1st printing but someone had cut the top to be round (LAME!!!!!!) along the rounded edge
How would you go about valuing this?
fredo
Art God

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Start at zero and double it.
gamehendge02
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:32 pm

really the actual image isnt compromised? 0$?? You can have it then pm me your adress
gamehendge02
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:33 pm

actually judging from your collection you know about 0 about 60s art or the grateful dead and you are not deserving of anything like this, ill give it to someone else.
fredo
Art God

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:44 pm

I was mostly kidding. If you read back a few posts there is mention of a "new" stash of 1st eds hitting the market. Not being a 60s poster collector aside, I can't imagine that bodes well for a return on a badly defaced piece.
gamehendge02
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:54 pm

11 years ago...
fredo
Art God

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:03 pm

gamehendge02 wrote:11 years ago...
Join date was '04; post was made in 2011.
My knee-jerk glibness aside, there are a fair number of people around the world/web who can give you an estimate. Or you could throw it on the bay and see who salutes.
Best of luck.