Only Death is Real 12 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Celsius
Flipper

Mon May 28, 2012 12:26 am

Bralumian wrote:
Celsius wrote:
Bralumian wrote:curious who you supposedly "heard" that from...my guess is nobody of consequence or merit
A reliable source. To even verify this, check out the hype in the Horkey thread before the print was even revealed. You think there would be any hype for a Horkey print with only 11 screens? Fantastic planet was 11 screens as well. It was hyped because it was going to be a monster, but things just couldn't work out and this is the result. Should've been greater.
"a reliable source' - sounds like BS to me. also, just because somebody on a message board purported/hyped that it was going to be 20 screens doesn't mean things didn't work out.
Believe what you will, but it's not bs.

talkingdeads wrote:I think the problem, is just that the celsius dude is into hype. Isn't there a hipster sweater mustache carnival he should be attending tonight rather than posting about an artist he doesn't get?
Hahaha. If there was I'd be there cause it sounds funny as hell. But whether I get the artist or not matters not when it comes to market value and this thing is a stinker at 300.

With that said, it's not like I dislike Horkey or don't get him. Like I said earlier, Andrew Bird >>>Fantastic Planet>>> Fantastic Planet Variant>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
Baker
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 am

Celsius wrote:Hahaha. If there was I'd be there cause it sounds funny as hell. But whether I get the artist or not matters not when it comes to market value and this thing is a stinker at 300.

With that said, it's not like I dislike Horkey or don't get him. Like I said earlier, Andrew Bird >>>Fantastic Planet>>> Fantastic Planet Variant>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this.
You seem to focus so much on the price. This was a gallery piece, that not only does the gallery get a piece, but they are also doing an amazing thing and donating a decent chunk to charity. And then you know, Aaron needs to get paid as an artist supporting a family. The price point seems good to me.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 am

One of the refreshing things about most of the Horkey threads is that they are a bunch of fans geeking out on the art and not the value, per se... at least, they used to be like that until Upper Deck started releasing the holographic inserts :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
Celsius
Flipper

Mon May 28, 2012 12:59 am

Baker wrote:
Celsius wrote:Hahaha. If there was I'd be there cause it sounds funny as hell. But whether I get the artist or not matters not when it comes to market value and this thing is a stinker at 300.

You seem to focus so much on the price. This was a gallery piece, that not only does the gallery get a piece, but they are also doing an amazing thing and donating a decent chunk to charity. And then you know, Aaron needs to get paid as an artist supporting a family. The price point seems good to me.
Fantastic Planet, also an 11 color screen, was a licensed gallery piece. 300 is too much.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

meskell
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 am

4 out of 5 dentists agree that you should be concentrating on submitting more fan art.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
Celsius
Flipper

Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 am

meskell wrote:4 out of 5 dentists agree that you should be concentrating on submitting more fan art.
I'm an anti-dentite... but I will submit more art.

mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon May 28, 2012 2:44 am

Anyone that knows anything about Aaron knows that "half-assed" and "unfinished" aren't in his vocabulary.

Celsius, you're just off base on this one.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 3:05 am

The debate earlier was on the size of the print in that it was rumored that it might be Aaron's largest screen print print to-date. There was never ANY talk about 20 screens, the number of screens, etc. Beyond that, I'm with Smith.
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 4:34 am

Celsius wrote:
Baker wrote:

Fantastic Planet, also an 11 color screen, was a licensed gallery piece. 300 is too much.

I was with you at the Gallery, I thought you liked it.

Regardless, I have to disagree with you. I own Fantastic Planet regular and variant as well, and there is no way I'd consider ODiR compromised in any way in comparison. I've been looking it over for two days, at the gallery and at home, and it's phenomenal looking - both as illustration art and in printing execution. I was at the gallery for almost the duration of the show and didn't hear a single negative comment about it, only raves.

You say it needs "needs metallics, backgrounds, and more colors," and I dont understand why you'd want to Michael Bay-ify the print. The line work doesnt need distracting from and the single slash of red colour is crucial to it's meaning. Adding any of those things would completely undermine it's symbolism, and it's artistic impact.

Struzan's Frankenstein print was at one point going to be a 28 screen poster. Is it a failure now, considering that it only ended up as a 21 screen?
mazdog
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 11:40 am

Since Estes has done those 100+ screens prints EVERYTHING else is half-assed, right? I mean come on ONLY 11 screens at 25x32...weak sauce :roll: :roll:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 11:49 am

Whatever, it's his opinion.

Personally, I have NO IDEA why there is so much hype surrounding this piece. I don't think it needs more colors, I think the detail is amazing, I like the spacing and placement of each component, and I think the price is right for a Horkey collector and to weed out some of the flippers, but at the end of the day it's a big rhino head with a bird on it. :-|
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 am

Same goes for any poster. At the end of the day its still just an image on a piece of paper.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 11:54 am

True, you can break piece down with that same line - It's just a XXXXX and a XXX with a XXXXXXX. :lol:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Yeah, who the Hell would want to frame a cosmonaut falling to the ground or something dumb like that

(Xander, wherever he is, probably just suffered a mild heart attack for unknown reasons the exact moment I posted this)

Anyways, I can't wait until mine arrives and I get to see it in person!
Image Image
meskell
Art Expert

Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Just like a gig poster can attract buyers that went to the show or are fans of the band, an art print can do the same. ODiR commemorates a special moment in my life. Price, although taken into consideration, wasn't even the secondary factor in my decision to buy. Image followed by artist ultimately determined my decision.

edit: actually, kind of a dumb post when I think about it. Image should always be first priority.
Last edited by meskell on Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.