Converge Japan 07 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
coxgt
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Codeblue wrote:
kyle wrote:
coxgt wrote:
Rev.Mike wrote:I would recommend not ordering a frame until you can actually measure the print yourself, but that's just me maybe.
It's not just you.
thirded.

it suprises me that so many posters are bastard sizes.

wtf is everyone thinking. it makes very little sense to me.

more expensive to frame = less likely to ever be appreciated.

anyone have the answer ?
I don't think the artist's primary concern is "how easy is this be framed?".
all my OBEY prints were chaep to frame :lol:
NEVER DEAL WITH TOM MINARCHICK!(aka, fuedalist_tart on EBAY. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.PM IF YOU NEED DETAILS.
Codeblue wrote:Taper has finally jumped the shark.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:52 pm

coxgt wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
kyle wrote:
coxgt wrote: It's not just you.
thirded.

anyone have the answer ?
Yea OK maybe some artists do 18x24. :wink:
coxgt
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Codeblue wrote:
coxgt wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
kyle wrote: thirded.

anyone have the answer ?
Yea OK maybe some artists do 18x24. :wink:
and lots of obey interns :lol:
NEVER DEAL WITH TOM MINARCHICK!(aka, fuedalist_tart on EBAY. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.PM IF YOU NEED DETAILS.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:14 pm

kyle wrote:
coxgt wrote:
Rev.Mike wrote:I would recommend not ordering a frame until you can actually measure the print yourself, but that's just me maybe.
It's not just you.
thirded.

anyone have the answer ?
buy Jay Ryan prints. they are usually 12 x 24.....or 18 x 24. Very standard for framing, and easy to rotate posters in and out of frames.
kyle
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Codeblue wrote: I don't think the artist's primary concern is "how easy is this be framed?".
of course not, but it should factor into their creative process. it only makes sense to me that as an artist you want people to view and appreciate your work, and choosing bastard sizes that require custom frames seems like it would mean less exposure, less walls to decorate, less fans, less love. they are basically saying they dont care how much of their work ever gets framed and shared or how much it costs their fans.
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
coxgt
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:18 pm

kyle wrote:
Codeblue wrote: I don't think the artist's primary concern is "how easy is this be framed?".
of course not, but it should factor into their creative process. it only makes sense to me that as an artist you want people to view and appreciate your work, and choosing bastard sizes that require custom frames seems like it would mean less exposure, less walls to decorate, less fans, less love. they are basically saying they dont care how much of their work ever gets framed and shared or how much it costs their fans.
Maybe they just want you to use pushpins! :lol:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:20 pm

kyle wrote:
I think if the art is good (or popular enough) it doesn't matter how big it is. Look at that gigantic Flaming Lips poster made by Coyne that sold out last year. I wouldn't buy it, but plenty of other people did. In addition, plenty of people are framing Emek's, Jermaine's, etc even though they're non standard sizes. Where there's a will, there's a way. Personally, I wouldn't want to see artists worry about such trivial things as "I hope this doesn't go an inch bigger or people won't wanna frame it". I do feel your pain though. Framing can be expensive even when the sizes are "standard".
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:27 pm

Letta always recommends those gravity frame things where you snap the clips over the ends of the print and slide the rod on. I agree with many others, I don't think most artists (and/or printers) are anticipating museum or archival framing with their pieces, that is a collector mentality. They are putting the image out in the way they see fit, why constrain it? Especially when gigposters have gone way beyond the boundaries of simple show promotion. I'm sure they'd like things to be seen, but, as mentioned, pushpins are adequate for that.
Mapman
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:05 pm

The lettering and details are AWESOME as usual, but the content is a bit creepy for my taste though. I might pick it up just in case...
bangyman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Mapman wrote:The lettering and details are AWESOME as usual, but the content is a bit creepy for my taste though. I might pick it up just in case...
not creepy. really cool actually. aaron told me it is based off a japanese myth of a warlock/wizard that can transform himself into a nine-tailed fox, as well as a beautiful woman that will seduce you in the woods and suck out your life force. also, the poster features a chop (stamp) that says "black osprey" in japanese.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:17 am

bangyman wrote:
Mapman wrote:The lettering and details are AWESOME as usual, but the content is a bit creepy for my taste though. I might pick it up just in case...
not creepy. really cool actually. aaron told me it is based off a japanese myth of a warlock/wizard that can transform himself into a nine-tailed fox, as well as a beautiful woman that will seduce you in the woods and suck out your life force. also, the poster features a chop (stamp) that says "black osprey" in japanese.
duh, everyone knows that.
bangyman
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:36 am

BlakeAronson wrote:
bangyman wrote:
i'll stab your sarcastic face off.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:07 pm

bangyman wrote:
BlakeAronson wrote:
bangyman wrote:
i'll stab your sarcastic face off.
talk dirty to me!
Ansel_Marrow
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm

I dont see why people bitch about custom framing, unless you are doing some awesome deep/detailed wood type stuff.

Metal frames come in all sizes, framed my boris/sunn print for under 40...

plexi - 20

metal frame peices - 15

foamcore - 5

With a matte it goes up, but under $100 for pretty much any print. I feel this is the middlepath to collector/casual poster enthusiast.

For that andrew bird horkey, Im going to break the bank at $300 at least though. Gotta do it justice.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:17 pm

[quote="Ansel_Marrow"]

plexi - 20

metal frame peices - 15

foamcore - 5

[quote]

people make it sound so easy to get custom cut oversized plexi but i still haven't seen a local place that does it. add in $25 per piece in shipping charges for ordering online. I'm getting all my oversized stuff done cheap for about $40 each but i'm going to have to go pick it up to avoid all those shipping costs.