Trolleys 07 Banksy

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
byc101
Art Expert

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 am

Are the pieces so much because the original image isn't his?

His prints do nothing for me.
"Honey. What do say we buy a Bansky print. Uhuhuhuho." (Teeth clenched together while speaking.)
jodeci78
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 am

I posted this rant previously in the "morons - unsigned" thread... I didn't get as many comments about it as I thought it would but whatever.

below:
I think the price is starting to transcend the art. I mean look at the thread... its mostly talk about is this print worth $1000 and will it be worth $5000 in 10 years? The first I ever heard about Bansky was the Paris Hilton CD switcheroo, then it was when Brad & Angelina bought a bunch of art in LA.

Celebrities these days have a very powerful influence on people, and I could see that these two instances are just examples of how it works. Brad and Angelina think its genius, I've got $1000 lying around, why not gamble on it? I could see this as being a reasonable rationale to do it.

Bansky is a great artist, but a print like this isn't the same as a unique painting. But with this specific print, I get it, its pretty funny, but I agree with someone else's comment that it doesn't have the longevity factor. I could totally see Bansky doing different editions to kind of screw over the people that post them on ebay.

In comparing Banksy to Warhol... In my very very limited knowledge of art, Warhol stikes me as one of the very first people to use a lot of irony, jokes and puns (maybe?) in art. Of course the social commentary in art has been around since art existed, but Warhol was kind of the first to do what he does. Being first and being really good makes all the difference in the world.

The question is: Who isn't influenced by Warhol?

To me, that's what makes Warhol's stuff so valuable. That an the fact that he was such a big celebrity, and then died before retiring. A certain barrier can only be broken once... I have yet to see Bansky do something crazy that people will be talking about 150 years from now. For that fact, I wonder how many people will care 150 years from now what Warhol did?

Bansky has at least two works of art that are directly related to Warhol (kate moss, soup cans print that i see on his website).

Has anyone read about the controversy surrounding people who bought Warhol prints only to have the Warhol institiute (or whatever) say they're not really Warhols? From my understanding, Warhol's studio was a factory just churning out all sorts of stuff. Some were from his students, friends, anything... Basically the Warhol institute said that "these were done by its students under the warhol name, but they're not actually works of art created by warhol. Nevermind the fact that Warhol might've provided creative direction on that art... So nowadays, some people are crushed to find out that what they thought was something worth $50,000 is now worth $5000.

The concept of taking a crappy worthless painting and then doing something to it isn't exactly 'new and original.' There was an article in Vanity Fair a year ago (maybe more...) where a guy had a painting of Stalin. He tried to sell it through Sotheby's but they have a policy in not trading in Stalin, Hitler, etc. stuff. So He got some semi-famous painter to paint a clown's nose on it (they were friends). Sotheby's took the work and sold it under the name of that new painter...

I just get a bit gun-shy to buy a print when I get the feeling that I might be buying into the following craze-es...
> sports cards in 1991 - 1994
> comic books from 1993 - 1997
> beanie babies 1997 - 2000

Each of those markets got all complicated, with price guides, variants, inserts, pieces of a sweaty jersey glued onto a card, etc. You'd look up your favourite sportscards each month and go "wow, I'm gonna be rich!" And in the end, people were buying it not because they appreciated the work and really loved it, but because they thought they could flip it and make a quick buck.

There will be something that changes the way we consume celebrities. Am I the only one getting really tired of ET, or Access Hollywood? It just seems right now that everyone is so worked up about celebrities. I don't think his art will 'crash' but with $1000, you can probably get a better investment elsewhere.

I collect and sell autographs on ebay. From my experience, people go crazy when something first comes out. As an example, I'll use Gerard Butler and the movie 300 as an example. In the weeks before the movie 300 came out, Gerard Butler did a lot of interviews, events, etc. I got his autograph on the wednesday before the movie came out. It cost me $3 for an 8"x10" photo plus a couple dollars for parking and an hour of my time.

The autograph sold for $80US for shipping. Meanwhile, there were postings with his autograph in the weeks leading up to the release of 300, where his autograph was $10-20. Other autographs were nice autographs with his full name, but the one I got was a scribble of "G--B---". I leveraged all the tv ads, billboards, internet, etc... to generate interest. If I tried to sell his autograph a month from now (before the DVD comes out) I'd probably only get $20 for it.

I see the same thing on different prints on expressobeans. When they're first on ebay, you'll make double or triple your money... then it slowly declines. As the hype dies out, people will stop caring. The only way this doesn't happen is when its incedibly mind-blowing. I would gladly big bucks for a nick cave emek poster.

The addage about buying what you like is so true. I'm so happy that I got a horkey "nesting" print... I remember after ordeirng it, having buyers' remorse... but I look at that thing every day and it makes me smile. I now collect stuff that means something to me. I love music so much, and I think I found 'my sweet spot' where art and music intersect.

Wow... I wrote a lot... and I apologize if I offended anyone.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am

byc101 wrote:Are the pieces so much because the original image isn't his?

His prints do nothing for me.
"Honey. What do say we buy a Bansky print. Uhuhuhuho." (Teeth clenched together while speaking.)
you mean having to pay royalties for the original image?

i don't think that's it.
Blackheart
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:06 pm

does anyone know if this is really coming out or not tomorrow?
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:14 pm

don't know, but this one is the one I've been waiting for.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:18 pm

jojobadass wrote:don't know, but this one is the one I've been waiting for.
Yeah, you're a huge Banksy fan. :lol:
coxgt
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I just get a bit gun-shy to buy a print when I get the feeling that I might be buying into the following craze-es...
> sports cards in 1991 - 1994
> comic books from 1993 - 1997
> beanie babies 1997 - 2000
Each one of these items that you stated were mass produced, and certainly had no bearing on the art community.
While you could make the point that Banksy is not relevant to the art world in whole, he has certainly garnered attention from a world wide audience.
In the art world, hype that surrounds an artist can propel them to superstar status.
Though the bubble may burst for Banksy collectors, I doubt it will fall through like baseball cards, beanie babies, and comic books (minus very rare items)
NEVER DEAL WITH TOM MINARCHICK!(aka, fuedalist_tart on EBAY. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.PM IF YOU NEED DETAILS.
Codeblue wrote:Taper has finally jumped the shark.
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:02 pm

Codeblue wrote:
jojobadass wrote:don't know, but this one is the one I've been waiting for.
Yeah, you're a huge Banksy fan. :lol:

fuckng huge fan man!!
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:53 pm

With the release of Moron's, it seems obvious that he is just mocking the people who buy this fudge. His appeal attracts agents and galleries that take advantage of his fame and notoriety. I'm sure everyone involved profits immensely. My question is, what does Banksy do with all the money? :?:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:45 am

yrneh13 wrote:My question is, what does Banksy do with all the money? :?:

2 chicks at once.
Last edited by Codeblue on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:17 pm

Codeblue wrote:

2 chicks at once.
:lol:
silver
Art Expert

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:29 am

bah.

for that kinda of money, i'd rather have something from rauschenberg.
ReverendToneZone
Art Expert

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:19 pm

Codeblue wrote:

2 chicks at once.
:allhail:
ryan_1969

Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:03 pm

ReverendToneZone wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

2 chicks at once.
edit * someone got the pic up first. i will sit in the corner of shame.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm

ryan_1969 wrote:
ReverendToneZone wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

2 chicks at once.
edit * someone got the pic up first. i will sit in the corner of shame.
Dude, where did you find that pic? It took me a while to find the shitty one I put up. :lol: