Cosmos 12 Sperry

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks Smasher! :cheers:
ejg904 wrote:wow - great pics adam.

thanks for posting - i didn't have the advantage of seeing these in person obviously, but i went with bronze.

after seeing the jpegs sperry posted, i was convinced that bronze was the way to go - but your actual pics of the prints make me think that perhaps i choose incorrectly.

either way, both look fantastic - thanks for the pics
I had the same thought process but a different conclusion. I thought the gold might be too gaudy and preferred the idea of the darker, more subtle bronze. I think the pics reinforce that decision, for me.
sixstringer wrote:Yeah real pics would have been nice before the drop. I picked up reg cosmo but I think the pattern on the woman in chaos may work better after seeing the pics. The circles seemed a little more subtle in the stock photo. Chaos reminds me of tribal war paint, like that mean ass broad from Conan.

I haven't seen them yet, but I'd guess the markings aren't as prominant in person. I think it probably depends on the angle of light reflection captured in the photo (i.e. ranging from almost invisible to really bright).
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 pm

sixstringer wrote:Yeah real pics would have been nice before the drop. I picked up reg cosmo but I think the pattern on the woman in chaos may work better after seeing the pics. The circles seemed a little more subtle in the stock photo. Chaos reminds me of tribal war paint, like that mean ass broad from Conan.
totally.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
TNspreadhead
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm

i was originally going to try for silver, but about 3 hours before the drop (in between F5'ing and looking at the other options) decided on the bronze. The way the flash on sperrys page caught the circles in her body, and what the bronze brought out in the face and hair...hands down sealed it for me. Can't wait to see this in person though
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Kind of wish I would have gone for one of the metallic ones now. Oh well. Went with the regulars. Pretty sure I'll be happy with both of them either way. Secondly, the whole edition of 50 text but only being an edition of 10 kind of bothers me as well.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm fairly certain I'm going to frame it at the image boundaries. The more I think about it, the purity of the images (for Chaos, Cosmos and Mind Spring) are diluted with the text. These are, after all, art prints; not show posters. It's a shame IMHO that this text is on the prints at all, I know it's a trademark of squirts work to have this text line, but all that's needed is a number on the lower left and a signature in the lower right. Any more than that is superfluous and distracting. Maybe a change will occur on his next low-run art print.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Couldn't agree more. When I find the wall space and time to frame, the mat with go inside the image border.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:I'm fairly certain I'm going to frame it at the image boundaries. The more I think about it, the purity of the images (for Chaos, Cosmos and Mind Spring) are diluted with the text. These are, after all, art prints; not show posters. It's a shame IMHO that this text is on the prints at all, I know it's a trademark of squirts work to have this text line, but all that's needed is a number on the lower left and a signature in the lower right. Any more than that is superfluous and distracting. Maybe a change will occur on his next low-run art print.
I'm thinking the same thing aesthetically, but I don't know if I could bring myself to cover the artist sig. I received a shipping notice this AM, btw. :D
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:22 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:holy smokes! ebay failip galore!!

These will not sell. I'd bet if patient enough, finding one below face will be easy.
Mine sold- just FYI- I'm actually kind of bummed- scored a thrift store frame 22x33 and everything.
Commence the hating If you'd like- id obviously rather you not- but just wanted to acknowledge it did in fact sell.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 pm

??? 16 posts and proud you've sold your poster. congratulations. you are a fine example of what all collectors and EB members should be. you may now take a bow and bask in the glory of everything that is you. :clap:

and quite accurately you predict a shitstorm of comments coming your way due to your post...of course you do. brilliant. i'm starting to side with the evil geniuses of heralded films like Bond and Austin Powers, because i can easily identify with all the reasons they'd want to decimate the population of man to zero, because we are a stack of drymounting idiots clambering to be the best idiot of the bunch.
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:26 pm

What's really drymounting crazy is I was enjoying this art thread because somehow it had escaped the BS of so many other threads on EB and people were genuinely talking about the art of these posters. And so when I received a notification this morning that someone had posted to the thread I was happily excited to read what someone else thought of these amazing Sperry posters. Only to be kicked in the teeth by someone boasting their flip. Motherfracker. Way to shatter the illusion.

Flippers gonna flip, that's fine, that's your prerogative, but do you have to broadcast it?
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:36 pm

guerilladubber wrote: Mine sold- just FYI- I'm actually kind of bummed- scored a thrift store frame 22x33 and everything.
Commence the hating If you'd like- id obviously rather you not- but just wanted to acknowledge it did in fact sell.
Bizarre, just bizarre.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:52 pm

dbags will be dbags. The measure of the dbag is how douchey he was with the price. Did he double it or turn it due to buyer's remorse.

I'm surprised to see chaos and cosmos getting more attention than mindspring. Mindspring was my favorite, but I have found myself walking by to "examine" my chaos while it's flattening out multiple times. The corrected two left feet and unwanted lettering at the bottom like it or not has added to this print. There's no denying Chuck is on top of the game at the moment (4 out of the top 8 poty's were his) I can't wait to see what he does for 2012. This is certainly a great start.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 pm

guerilladubber wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:holy smokes! ebay failip galore!!

These will not sell. I'd bet if patient enough, finding one below face will be easy.
Mine sold- just FYI- I'm actually kind of bummed- scored a thrift store frame 22x33 and everything.
This must be yours then eBay 110809968645
No wonder you're bummed.
meskell
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:17 am

bigmuls wrote:This must be yours then eBay 110809968645
No wonder you're bummed.
Not that it makes much of a difference but that was for Chaos.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 am

meskell wrote:
bigmuls wrote:This must be yours then eBay 110809968645
No wonder you're bummed.
Not that it makes much of a difference but that was for Chaos.
I can't keep them straight