War For Sale 07 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ryan_1969

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:21 pm

turnJBup wrote:I'm embarrassed as a Veteran that people are dying while you two worry about someone who sells 35.00 posters.... gives them to you if you take a picture with a video. This is your battle? I can't believe this post....
I really don't think you guys can cram your feet any farther down your throat.
Pathetic.
I work with disabled vets. Thanks.
ryan_1969

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm

guyforget wrote:
ryan_1969 wrote:
guyforget wrote:I am very much aware of the so called "Love Awareness Program" and i think its mostly baseless and driven by greed. Read any of the OBJECTIVE discussions about it and I think youll see that the majority of people out there agree with me.

Its not like Erik Brunetti was responsible for those original images of Angela Davis, Kiss, or Mao. He "appropriated" them just like Shepard, then got jealous because Shep got huge off of them and he got... FUCT.
You do have a point there about the Angela Davis, Kiss, and Mao stuff. I still wouldn't have used the main image FUCT complains about. It would be like me disigning a poster with Emek's DJ Shadow design....but instead of a heart, i'll use an apple in the middle. I know people borrow inspirations for their own art, i think that Shepard stretches it a little.
The difference is that that DJ Shadow image is original EMEK. Using it would be a blatant EMEK ripoff. The Angela, Kiss, and Mao were NOT originals by Brunetti - he took them from the same places Shep took them from. Then to claim that Shep ripped him off without saying "but theyre not my originals, anyway" is just silly, and makes him look petty and jealous.

I don't see Angela, KISS, or Mao in this rip off.
ryan_1969

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Or this one.
I could go on and on.
ryan_1969

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Must have busted out the tracing paper for this one.

Niether artist can claim this as their own. Fuct and Shepard both can eat fudge on this one.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 pm

ryan_1969 wrote:Must have busted out the tracing paper for this one.

Hey that's not fair! He drew lines over her face.
ryan_1969

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:25 pm

old famous art = new famous art
ryan_1969

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:25 pm

turnJBup wrote:I'm embarrassed as a Veteran that people are dying while you two worry about someone who sells 35.00 posters.... gives them to you if you take a picture with a video. This is your battle? I can't believe this post....
I really don't think you guys can cram your feet any farther down your throat.
Pathetic.
He's making money, i'm talking fudge. Oh well.......the war machine's still rolling. And no, this is not my battle. Just one more thing to bitch about.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:02 pm

Ryan, I'm sick as hell of this war too. I'm sure Sheppard would much rather be doing bunnies and flowers, but he's not. His video gesture should bring his intentions into light. It's not about the money. You sit down to create and your conscience leans you toward possibly making a difference. Everyone knows political posters don't sell nearly as fast as tits and ass, so you're accusations seem unwarranted.
Okay, MLK was a minister... What about Neil Young or Bob Dylan?
People are fighting for you and your rights here... they get chastised.
Our reservists and military fight for Bush's savings account... they get ignored.
I'm sickened by what this Country has turned into... glad I'm not alone.

All the good artists borrow... the great ones invent, no?
So he's not inventing at the moment.
Peace
housedog777
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:18 pm

turnJBup wrote: I'm sickened by what this Country has turned into... glad I'm not alone.

I am sickened by what The Administration is turning our country into.

I can't comment on the artists' originality issue, the rip-off comparisons and all of that as I don't know enough art history. I like Shep's work, I wish I had more. Do I like certain pieces of his more than others? For sure. I would love to see a Dylan, Neil Young, James Brown or Frank Zappa print more than an anti war print (probably would just see a sold out button on those too).

I understand his motive of raising awareness or actually keeping people aware. The war is not top news anymore and that makes no sense. Outta sight, outta mind. That is when the government really starts doing the shady things.

I can say this...our troops that are in foreign lands truly deserve our support, whether we agree with the war or not. There are men and women over there that want to be, and there are men and women over there that really don't, either any more or in the first place. Agree with their reasons or not for being there, they deserve some support and attention.

Support The Troops....they may come back and overthrow the government.
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:37 pm

"It was a very stressful time for me, the war. I'll tell you why - I was in the unenviable position of being for the war, but against the troops. And ah... Not the most popular stance I've ever taken on an issue. "
-Bill Hicks
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Rev.Mike wrote:"It was a very stressful time for me, the war. I'll tell you why - I was in the unenviable position of being for the war, but against the troops. And ah... Not the most popular stance I've ever taken on an issue. "
-Bill Hicks
lol this thread made me think of the exact same thing. of course, i am reading the "love all the people" bill hicks book at the moment so that probably helped.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Rev.Mike wrote:"It was a very stressful time for me, the war. I'll tell you why - I was in the unenviable position of being for the war, but against the troops. And ah... Not the most popular stance I've ever taken on an issue. "
-Bill Hicks
Guess I'll have to read the book for this to make any sense?
housedog777
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:53 pm

Bill Hicks....I miss that man.

The sheeit that he would be saying right now.....

I'm going to go buy that book tonight. Pretty good so far, Rev.?
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:57 pm

the book is good but a lot of it is just transcripts of his live sets and interviews he did. so if you already have his albums or the dvd that was released recently I wouldn't say it's essential.
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:06 pm

turnJBup wrote:
-Bill Hicks
Guess I'll have to read the book for this to make any sense?
It's a joke, part of a routine about the first gulf war, it utilizes irony, I'm not sure what else there is to explain.

I haven't read the book mentioned, I'm a big Hicks fan.