Captain America 11 Stout

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:21 pm

RITFW wrote:
kevkevkev wrote:anyone else think this is a pretty rubbish poster? i just dont like the composition.
Really? I love the layout of this poster. That was my complaint about Kill Bill, though. I know it was a reference or tribute to the Enter the Dragon poster but I just didn't like the layout.
I really like the Kill Bill layout because it's different from Stout's other work. I think there are a couple of other examples, like Let The Right One In.
Even if he's inspired by other posters / art, it's a form of growth to try those different arrangements and designs.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:49 pm

I really enjoyed Tommy Lee Jones' performance in this movie, and I wonder why his character was not featured in the poster.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Stupid question time! On the Stout CA, what is the gray object with the red circle in the middle to the right of the Red Skull's chin? :?
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:18 pm

I've seen the movie and we (wife and I) can't figure it out... :lol:
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Maybe one of the exhaust of the plane?....
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm

KSUvet wrote:Stupid question time! On the Stout CA, what is the gray object with the red circle in the middle to the right of the Red Skull's chin? :?
While you're pondering this question consider this as well. I also posted it in the main Mondo thread, but it was quickly buried (or ignored :D ) after only a few replies. I'd like some opinions on what the "scratched" parts of the variant are supposed to represent. I liked one person's interpretation of the the gray parts as the remaining dust on an old photo after most has been rubbed away. That doesn't work for the white ones, though. Thoughts?
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Read it in mondo thread... Just didn't know then either. :lol:
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 am

KSUvet wrote:
KSUvet wrote:Stupid question time! On the Stout CA, what is the gray object with the red circle in the middle to the right of the Red Skull's chin? :?
While you're pondering this question consider this as well. I also posted it in the main Mondo thread, but it was quickly buried (or ignored :D ) after only a few replies. I'd like some opinions on what the "scratched" parts of the variant are supposed to represent. I liked one person's interpretation of the the gray parts as the remaining dust on an old photo after most has been rubbed away. That doesn't work for the white ones, though. Thoughts?
No idea about that red circle. Could be a symbol for any number of times a button of some kind is pushed (which was often). Maybe the detonators for explosives. Or when Tommy Lee pushed a red button while in the black car.

As for the scratch-like marks on the variant, perhaps it's to signify a ripped and worn-out poster of some kind, but maybe Stout still wanted to include the entire image (so he didn't actually remove the worn areas). Like if someone were to stick up a poster on the street leave it there for years. Similar to the propaganda ones that were used around that time. Basically just a worn-out, vintage poster. And that's why the colours are muted too.

Someone could email him about these if they're really curious.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:10 am

dylansdad wrote:I really enjoyed Tommy Lee Jones' performance in this movie, and I wonder why his character was not featured in the poster.
Maybe it has something to do with this:
Quint: What likeness has been the hardest for you to pull off to your satisfaction? Whose face do you hate with a passion?

Tyler Stout: So so many. Harrison Ford for one, I have a really hard time with his face. Just one of the many reasons I am in awe of artists like Amsel and Struzan; they capture his face so perfectly. I don’t really hate anyone’s face, I just hate the way I draw them.

On my Robocop poster for instance, I couldn’t really do justice to Officer Lewis’ face, so I ended up leaving her out of the poster. The joys of deadlines. Though if I ever do a Robocop 2 poster, it’ll just be her face. Well, her and Tom Noonan of course.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:34 am

AH HA! That's why that chick isn't on there.. :silly:
automator
Nobody

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 am

New image Captain America 11 Stout

zebracrackhead
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Two sales from today recorded as $61 and $34, both of which are the litho and not the screenprint. These need to be deleted from the sales info, as for average pricing goes these will bring it down .
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:37 pm

zebracrackhead wrote:Two sales from today recorded as $61 and $34, both of which are the litho and not the screenprint. These need to be deleted from the sales info, as for average pricing goes these will bring it down .
thanks, I'll move them over to the litho sales history
automator
Nobody

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:16 am

New image Captain America 11 Stout
Litho Edition - Note Red Flag in top left hand corner.

zebracrackhead
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:32 am

electrachrome wrote:
zebracrackhead wrote:Two sales from today recorded as $61 and $34, both of which are the litho and not the screenprint. These need to be deleted from the sales info, as for average pricing goes these will bring it down .
thanks, I'll move them over to the litho sales history
appreciate the help electrachrome!