Phish Holmdel 11 Welker

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 4:19 pm

David Welker is a fantastic artist! Phish or no Phish...
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm

jramsufan wrote:
KNEEL13 wrote:
jramsufan wrote:Not a big fan of this print at all. Are those supposed to be toilets?? I'll take the Stout print over this any day of the week. And I'd be willing to bet that 90% of you would think the same thing if this wasn't a Phish print.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :roll:

I think it's a pretty cool looking print and I don't even like Phish. I love the little rats. :D
If you truly like it, then that's cool. I just don't think it is that good of a looking print, and I've noticed over the last year or so that prints that really don't look that great (such as this one) get so much love simply because they are Phish posters. I would be willing to be that if this were for any other band it wouldn't get near the acclaim as it is getting.

Sure it's "Pollock-esque", but it's still a poster of what looks to be four toilets with pipes and rats.
take it back to negativefreaks.org brah
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
bisondice
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 5:01 pm

phishstix101 wrote:David Welker is a fantastic artist! Phish or no Phish...
:clap:
ErocAfellar wrote:Once you start buying art for the image and not the perceived value, it becomes more fun and less stressful.
recycler
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 5:28 pm

electrachrome wrote:
recycler wrote:Ole skool phish! Very Nice Work, Very!
yeah, I totally agree.
To me it has the same vibe as Pollock's Junta era work for the band without being anything really like Pollock's work.
100% Agree (pollock but not pollock)

Junta for sure with a little bit of Rift thrown in! My 2 favorite phish albums in fact, Rift being my 1st ever bought.
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 31, 2011 5:28 pm

good good supergood
recycler
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 5:36 pm

jramsufan wrote: I've noticed over the last year or so that prints that really don't look that great (such as this one) get so much love simply because they are Phish posters. I would be willing to be that if this were for any other band it wouldn't get near the acclaim as it is getting.
Really? I think phans tell it like it is, if a print is nice, then it gets good reviews if it sucks then it gets poorer reviews (we don't blast it, we just don't praise). I don't think phish posters get a free pass at all. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Icetoad
Art Enthusiast

Tue May 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Santelope wrote: While the Stout Bethel print may not be visually stunning either. It represents the weekend really well.
Agreed.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 6:51 pm

My friend just pick up one of these up at the show for me. He said he met David Welker while buying the print.
thegig
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 pm

electrachrome wrote:
recycler wrote:Ole skool phish! Very Nice Work, Very!
yeah, I totally agree.
To me it has the same vibe as Pollock's Junta era work for the band without being anything really like Pollock's work.
This is exactly what I thought when I saw it. Truly stunning work.

As for jramsufan, whatever. Dude's second post was to dog a print that, while it may not be everyone's cup of tea (dude needs to drop a couple doses, maybe), obviously took an incredible amount of skill and vision. Obviously a hater. Hater's gonna hate.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I'll take 5 of these.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue May 31, 2011 9:33 pm

jramsufan wrote:Not a big fan of this print at all. Are those supposed to be toilets?? I'll take the Stout print over this any day of the week. And I'd be willing to bet that 90% of you would think the same thing if this wasn't a Phish print.
the toilet analogy did come to mind when I first checked this out, but I quickly dismissed that. I think it's a visual pun relating actual plumbing to pipes (as in vocal pipes). the pipes are singing. at least that's my take.
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 31, 2011 9:55 pm

I prefer the Welker to the Bethel Stout by a pretty good margin.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm

BRING ON METHANE!!!
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
MillerTime04
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 pm

jojobadass wrote:BRING ON METHANE!!!

Oh please no
Art comes alive in the arguments you have about it
coleslaw
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 pm

bring on a Spusta for Cinci please, thanx in advance :pint:
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey