A Perfect Vacuum 11 Geddes

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
pupster
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:34 am

droow wrote:I'd def agree that people put far too much emphasis on frame/matt/fillets..blaa blaa blaa. Less is more.

They look lovely Droow.....!
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Very nice! Even more invisible a framing method than my approach! Best part is that all the viewers attention is drawn towards Jeremy's work. Nothing distracts from it. All art.

Really I wish I had gotten cluster study!
bluestskies
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm

those look great!!
Catarax
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:52 pm

droow wrote:I'd def agree that people put far too much emphasis on frame/matt/fillets..blaa blaa blaa. Less is more.
depends on the piece..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
student42
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 pm

middayshadows wrote: I like that people are putting so much thought into the framing, but it doesn't have to be so elaborate or such a budget killer. Minimalist framing and matting is the way to go. Some people try so hard that they end up adding/revising the artwork (if you consider that the space around the image as being part of the artwork). This is why I thought that examples of Adrift , framed by a black mat, cropping out the border were...not good. It made it look as though the black area of the image was larger than Jeremy painted it, thus altering the artwork from what he intended. Dont distract from it with overly elaborate strongly coloured matting.

A black frame with a 2 inch white(or neutral) mat, including the border , which Jeremy decided upon himself will showcase the art beautifully. The viewers eye will be drawn in towards the image, and the colours in the art will pop.

That's just my personal framing aesthetic of course -- let Jeremy's work speak for itself! 8)
Many artists are forced to print on light colored paper because it is very difficult to print light colors on top of a dark substrate, and a border is necessary because it would be impracticable otherwise. That is why most prints have a white or light boarder, not necessarily because the artist wanted it that way. Who knows what the artist would do if they had a choice.

I agree that it is the art that is display and not the frame job, but I do not see how a black mat distracts from the picture. Like I said before I find the white more distracting because it makes the pink tones in the picture stand out too much for my taste. In the most ideal situation I would put a simple black or wood frame around the picture itself with no mat, but I can not bring myself to deface the print by removing the border. There is no wrong answer as to how a print should be framed so long as you are happy with it.
ImageI like pie!
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 am

student42 wrote:...that is why most prints have a white or light boarder, not necessarily because the artist wanted it that way. Who knows what the artist would do if they had a choice.
Referring to the image dimensions, not the border, we know exactly what he artist would do. The image dimensions are a creative choice. Jeremy created Adrift to have x dimensions of black image area. If you place a black mat over it, cropping out the white border, and stand a few few back from it, the mat blends in with the black in the artwork, essentially altering the dimensions of the image and therefore the artwork itself.

Beyond that, I am also pointing out the potential hazards of overly elaborate framing/matting choices. Just as you pointed out that a white mat makes yours look pink, someone else might achieve a different yet equally undesirable result with a poor choice of frame or mat.

Sure , I agree that the best way is the way is always the way that brings the most enjoyment to the owner of the print. In that sense there is no right or wrong, always.
ochromic
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm

APV just arrived. Anyone else
alison03
Art Expert

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm

ochromic wrote:APV just arrived. Anyone else
location? and more importantly, pics? :P :D
j_pawlish1476
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm

ochromic wrote:APV just arrived. Anyone else
No, but PLEASE post photos!
ochromic
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm In hawaii. Opened the tube too see the usual packaging by Soph. Pretty low print number...30's
Prob have the framers unroll it.
location? and more importantly, pics? :P :D[/quote]
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 pm

ochromic wrote:I'm In hawaii.
Now it makes sense! I'll be lucky if mine is feet wet yet. :cry:
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
casoriat
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 pm

ochromic wrote: Prob have the framers unroll it.
You can handle it.
alison03
Art Expert

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 am

ochromic wrote:I'm In hawaii. Opened the tube too see the usual packaging by Soph. Pretty low print number...30's
Prob have the framers unroll it.
gotcha!

I don't think mine has even shipped yet as I just got an email this morning saying I was good to get a print with a sig on the image. So excited for this though.
cvan84
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 pm

waiting on pics...
Apollo
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 pm

cvan84 wrote:waiting on pics...
Someone posted a picture earlier today in the release discussion thread http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... &start=210