Lie 1 11 aelhra

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
SoulMates
Art Expert

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:38 pm

"Why do people believe this stuff?

I am no psychologist, however I have seen and heard enough over the past years to recognize certain reoccurring personality traits in those professing to be hoax believers. Although there are varying degrees of each, I have come to categorize the hoax believers into two generalized types: the Confused and the Hardcore.

The Confused are average people who have seen or heard the claims of the hoax advocates on TV, the Internet, or from friends and associates. They usually lack the scientific knowledge or experience necessary to dispute the claims, so they begin to doubt the authenticity of the moon landings. Despite their doubts, these people tend to be open-minded and willing to listen to varying points of view. When giving the opportunity to study both sides of the argument, they usually agree the moon landings were real.

The Hardcore, on the other hand, are a completely different type of personality. They almost always exhibit strong paranoid tendencies with an extreme distrust and hatred of the U.S. government. Rather than allowing the evidence to speak for itself, they will often begin by assuming a hoax and then search for evidence to support that preconception. When they see something that looks suspicious they immediately accept it as proof of their belief. When someone attempts to offer an alternate explanation they dismiss it as a NASA lie. Any evidence that contradicts their belief is described as an attempt by the government to deceive us. They will say that anyone who believes in the moon landings has been brainwashed or is in denial. They are usually argumentative and often hostile.

The Hardcore also tend to be completely close-minded, refusing to consider alternate possibilities. I have often debated with hardcore individuals over various hoax topics and, to date, I have always been able to completely discredit their claims with arguments that would more than satisfy any open-minded individual. However, they routinely refuse to acknowledge the possibility they could be in error. They will stubbornly cling to their belief in the hoax even when they have no creditable evidence to fall back on. The debate is clearly not just about evidence and physics; there are those who believe in the hoax merely because they want to believe it.

Why do some people choose to believe in the moon-landing hoax? I wish I could provide a definitive answer to that question, however I suspect it is a combination of paranoia and, perhaps more importantly, feelings of inadequacy. The hoax believers create a delusional fantasy in which they are the heroes. Their ability to decipher the subtle clues and uncover the hoax is seen as a demonstration of their intellectual superiority. To the hoax believers the more complex and convoluted the theory, the smarter they feel for having figured it all out. To the rest of us the theory just doesn't make any sense."

-Robert A. Braeunig
fCon
Art Expert

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 pm

mobythegreat wrote:Makes a good conversation piece
This print works like a charm. :mrgreen:
timc
Art Expert

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 pm

fCon wrote:
mobythegreat wrote:Makes a good conversation piece
This print works like a charm. :mrgreen:
Agree! Will trying for this! Looks like we all will be f5ing :D
Everything woke turns to fudge.
America First.
https://lowfshop.com/
fredo
Art God

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:39 pm

SoulMates wrote: The hoax believers create a delusional fantasy in which they are the heroes. Their ability to decipher the subtle clues and uncover the hoax is seen as a demonstration of their intellectual superiority.
That's a good point- and true for many. Personally, it makes sense to me to be wary of authority (or anyone when money and power is at stake) and will never understand why anybody does trust implicitly what they hear 2nd or 3rd hand. There is a humanity-long list of examples why they shouldn't.

Moon landing? Meh. Makes no nevermind on me...but a person at enron (i think) called and asked a california power station to shut down for a couple of hours
to cause energy prices to spike- the power plant agreed. This happened- it is on tape There is no doubting it, yet when people are faced with the idea of powerful people doing awful things, like creating enormous lies, they react in fear-based smugness... the same way the paranoid delusional does.
just a foil for me today, thanks
SteveKai
Art Expert

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 pm

SoulMates wrote:"Why do people believe this stuff?

I am no psychologist, however I have seen and heard enough over the past years to recognize certain reoccurring personality traits in those professing to be hoax believers. Although there are varying degrees of each, I have come to categorize the hoax believers into two generalized types: the Confused and the Hardcore.

The Confused are average people who have seen or heard the claims of the hoax advocates on TV, the Internet, or from friends and associates. They usually lack the scientific knowledge or experience necessary to dispute the claims, so they begin to doubt the authenticity of the moon landings. Despite their doubts, these people tend to be open-minded and willing to listen to varying points of view. When giving the opportunity to study both sides of the argument, they usually agree the moon landings were real.

The Hardcore, on the other hand, are a completely different type of personality. They almost always exhibit strong paranoid tendencies with an extreme distrust and hatred of the U.S. government. Rather than allowing the evidence to speak for itself, they will often begin by assuming a hoax and then search for evidence to support that preconception. When they see something that looks suspicious they immediately accept it as proof of their belief. When someone attempts to offer an alternate explanation they dismiss it as a NASA lie. Any evidence that contradicts their belief is described as an attempt by the government to deceive us. They will say that anyone who believes in the moon landings has been brainwashed or is in denial. They are usually argumentative and often hostile.

The Hardcore also tend to be completely close-minded, refusing to consider alternate possibilities. I have often debated with hardcore individuals over various hoax topics and, to date, I have always been able to completely discredit their claims with arguments that would more than satisfy any open-minded individual. However, they routinely refuse to acknowledge the possibility they could be in error. They will stubbornly cling to their belief in the hoax even when they have no creditable evidence to fall back on. The debate is clearly not just about evidence and physics; there are those who believe in the hoax merely because they want to believe it.

Why do some people choose to believe in the moon-landing hoax? I wish I could provide a definitive answer to that question, however I suspect it is a combination of paranoia and, perhaps more importantly, feelings of inadequacy. The hoax believers create a delusional fantasy in which they are the heroes. Their ability to decipher the subtle clues and uncover the hoax is seen as a demonstration of their intellectual superiority. To the hoax believers the more complex and convoluted the theory, the smarter they feel for having figured it all out. To the rest of us the theory just doesn't make any sense."

-Robert A. Braeunig
Anyone got the Cliffs Notes of Robert's post? :lol:
timc
Art Expert

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Aelhra will be doing a series of lie prints! :D
America First.
Buck
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I can Identify with this piece. I watch a lot of YouTube.
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm

It's like I wish R.E.M. would write a song about this.
Buck
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 am

Doesn't drop till 8PM.

Available here:
http://aelhra.bigcartel.com
federer
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:58 am

really it ca be identifiable, if you have really watched it sometime.
adamlikesthings
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:48 am

downbytheriver wrote:
adamlikesthings wrote: no china only sent a man into space in 2003 and became only the 3rd country to do so. there isnt much point in putting a man on the moon any more as what would it achieve, space programmes are more interested in space exploration these days.
Since when did any economy on the face of planet Earth become more interested in anything other than making money? Every gubbment of the world is looking for a return on their investment on each and every endeavor.

Where's the ROI of landing on the moon? To frighten the Russians way back in the day? Okay. What else?

If it were so gahdamm easy back in the 60's with the punch-card computers, I contend Walt Disney would be offering day trip Rides to The Moon with pic-nic lunches at the afformentioned KFC restaurant by now. (serving REAL soft-serve icecream and not that chitty dried-up marshmellow crap they try and pass off as freeze-dried icecream either Flimby)
:P
landing on the moon cost the usa $25 billion back in the day and nearly shelfed their whole space programme (there was no ROI apart from being the greatest thing the human race has ever done and inspiring a whole generation of new scientists to push the boundaries), hence why the space shuttle programme was launched in conjunction with the air force to find a cheaper why of launching reusable space crafts (that where capable of carrying satelites as stipulated by the airforce). And who said it was easy? If they didnt land on the moon there would have been no hubble etc.

why dont you put your tinfoil helmet back on, the goverment are probably readin your thoughts and will be round to arrest you for being a conspirancy theorist right? :P
Giclee - "One unintended consequence of Duganne's choice of name was its problematic use in the French language since it is also modern French slang for male ejaculation"
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 am

I keep looking and looking for boobies but I don't see any, isn't this the artist that usually has a nekkid chick? I can see people liking this print though, I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories, but I lean more to landing on the moon being true, so I can't justify putting this up. But it would be a neat conversation starter if you believed that was untrue.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
timc
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Could also mean don"t believe everything you read! When you look at it you think of time magazine! Not just the moon landing. I do like the nude ones though!! See my sexy naked surfer chicks every morning!!!
America First.
Flimby

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:33 pm

adamlikesthings wrote:there was no ROI apart from being the greatest thing the human race has ever done
this is sig worthy :clap:
fredo
Art God

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 pm

timc wrote: When you look at it you think of time magazine! !
That'lll be the next one: "Tie".
just a foil for me today, thanks