Mother and Father 11 Soto

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed May 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Yet I forgot to pick up salad dressing from the store yesterday.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
alngtheway
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 25, 2011 3:07 pm

It's all about priorities.
jeffsoto
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 26, 2011 1:46 pm

With these wood prints the image has to work out perfectly in a few ways. Too small of details (and too small of a print size) will get lost in the wood grains. Also the image has to be light enough in value that it doesn't turn out too dark. The printer does not print the color white, so all the lighter areas are made up of the wood color. I really wanted to do "The Escape", but it turned out too dark and muddy on wood. It was dense enough that you couldn't even see the wood grain, which to me is what makes these pieces beautiful and unique.

We printed about 10 different images to see what we could do and the one that stood out to me (and everyone else) was "Mother and Father". Perfect combination of values, colors, size, and bigger details to where the wood grain was very noticeable. We printed a "Power Droid" on wood, it looked pretty awesome... It's important to me to put out GOOD work. So I don't put out prints of everything and I don't ever start a painting thinking it will be a print eventually. The stars have to align...

I love this print because it feels like a real painting in some ways, and I think that's the main reason I want to keep these very limited. I try to have something for everyone. I roughly see my print hierarchy like this:

•Ready-to-hang wood prints- Smallest edition, priciest- hopefully my big fans get em' (and I'm taking steps to make sure with future releases)
•Giclees- Usually edition of 50 or less, kinda expensive- they always eventually sell out and I never see them on eBay- my fans hold onto them?
•Screenprints- Cheaper, editions of 100, my favorite prints! Not a fan favorite, cmon you drymounters, screenprinting is way better than giclees!!
•Gig posters- Cheaper, fun, I love making em', but I know overall the band's fans rather than my own are buying (hmmm... PJ, EV, etc..)
•Lithos- cheap, numerous- editions of 4-500, but great colors and images. Kinda like art fast food.

But of course everything depends on size, edition, etc. I always wanted to do a huge screenprint, like 4' across with a super small run, like 5-10 prints. It would be expensive but pretty cool.
inkedup
Art Expert

Sat May 28, 2011 2:15 am

jeffsoto wrote:I always wanted to do a huge screenprint, like 4' across with a super small run, like 5-10 prints. It would be expensive but pretty cool.
I have a big empty wall space in my living room that I've been saving in hopes that you will release a large scale print in the future, do it!
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue May 31, 2011 11:00 am

jeffsoto wrote: •Screenprints- Cheaper, editions of 100, my favorite prints! Not a fan favorite, cmon you drymounters, screenprinting is way better than giclees!!
i am a huge fan of your screen prints. please keep doing more, they turn out great!!!
jeffsoto wrote:•Lithos- cheap, numerous- editions of 4-500, but great colors and images. Kinda like art fast food.
not as much of a fan, but its a great way to get cheap prints to your fans. although, seeker is nearly the same price as the screen prints. i wish seeker was a little more affordable. $35 a pop and they would sell out much quicker.

i would take a screen print over glossy paper, any day.

keep up the great work!
saL
Art Expert

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:16 pm

jeffsoto wrote: •Ready-to-hang wood prints- Smallest edition, priciest- hopefully my big fans get em' (and I'm taking steps to make sure with future releases)
I've been patiently waiting for the right one, but ended up missing (like many).. luckily, I sobered quick enough to get the "Green Eyes", which I got the shipping confirmation for just yesterday!..

looking forward to it!
student42
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 am

Looks like Jeff will be releasing "Broken" lithographs soon. They look good. Litho or not I will pick one up.
ImageI like pie!
jumpinjeza
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:35 am

saL wrote:
jeffsoto wrote: •Ready-to-hang wood prints- Smallest edition, priciest- hopefully my big fans get em' (and I'm taking steps to make sure with future releases)
I've been patiently waiting for the right one, but ended up missing (like many).. luckily, I sobered quick enough to get the "Green Eyes", which I got the shipping confirmation for just yesterday!..

looking forward to it!
Can't wait for this and Sotofish 2
trarex wrote:I find this very disturbing.
The only adult in that video is a black guy hanging out with the whitest 12 year olds on the planet.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 am

jumpinjeza wrote:
saL wrote:

looking forward to it!
Can't wait for this and Sotofish 2
Sotofish2 is already for sale.
jumpinjeza
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:03 am

I know I'm WAITING for it to arrive in Australia :roll:
The only adult in that video is a black guy hanging out with the whitest 12 year olds on the planet.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:09 am

jumpinjeza wrote:I know I'm WAITING for it to arrive in Australia :roll:
you gotta move closer to Sotoland. :D
jumpinjeza
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 am

:lol: If only life was that easy