The Odyssey 11 Sperry

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:25 am

:clap:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
woodyland
Art Expert

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 am

Hi, I'm The Warfield & I want your band to play on my stage. You want to? Great! Here's the deal, your cut, my cut, date's set etc etc. Oh, and I might have this dude Chuck Sperry do a nice silkscreen print immortalizing the show. I hope you don't mind. I think you'll love it. Here's some of his past work. Great stuff huh?! Course, if you do mind you don't have to play on my stage. Cool? Cool. All smiles. It's gonna be a great evening of music & art. See you then.
They're a Band Beyond Description, like Jehovah's Favorite Choir

mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:04 am

mistersmith wrote:
ricv64 wrote:Whats your beef with Sperry mistersmith ? I don't think it's about posters .
I don't have a stake in this, I have no personal feelings on it really, but there are a lot of people putting a lot into the Goldenvoice stuff, and whether or not that's a smart move is a conversation that a lot of people want to have but few are willing. It's a simple question: how is a show promoter allowed to create a poster like this and sell it as merch? They're never used for advertising, they're just merch. It doesn't seem above board, and judging by the occasional destruction of a print run and the occasional C&D from a band's legal team, it's probably not.
Goldenvoice is not like the movie High Fidelity. This is a large promotion business that's been around a long time. It's not as simple as "Mr. Sperry made my band a cool poster". It's about a band tacitly giving over power to a large promotion business to use the bands name, because you play at a venue. I'm not saying that artists won't like Chuck's work. I'm saying that if you were a musician and you didn't get a say in how your name or your bands name was being used to promote your show, or you didn't like the image, then you can understand the issue. Which makes it not really a Sperry issue, but a Goldenvoice issue.

Stuff like this is one reason you have to give huge credit to a band like Fugazi, that just doesn't allow the use of their name on promo stuff without their consent...

As for the Odyssey print (which is one thing Goldenvoice has, I assume, no control over), it looks nice. I hope Chuck keeps doing more stuff like this, and even art prints.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:06 pm

...but what's being forgotten is that, yes, promoters can advertise shows. But these Goldenvoice posters are never used to advertise. They're far too expensive to be viable promotional expense. Check the Alkaline Trio comments: they printed that stuff the day of the show. The day of a sold-out show. No need to further advertise and no time in which to do it. That's not a promotional material, that's merch. By comparison, the Fillmore can make their posters because they get hung up all over town, passed around (and incidentally, handed out free after the show).

That's always been the deal. Hear about a show, make posters, go to the venue and sell them out of the trunk of the car, or go to the back door and try to get them on the merch table. Sometimes it works because Chuck's posters are beautiful. Sometimes it fails and people get seriously pissed. In either case, it doesn't make them legit.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
pewter14
EB Team

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Perhaps you guys can continue this discussion outside of the Art Comments thread for this Odyssey poster?
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
KNEEL13
EB Team

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Some people have way too much time on their hands.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:27 pm

pewter14 wrote:Perhaps you guys can continue this discussion outside of the Art Comments thread for this Odyssey poster?
I don't want to continue it anywhere. You guys can delete these comments if you want. Off-topic stuff should be purged anyway.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
pewter14
EB Team

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:28 pm

If people want to have the discussion, by all means, have it. I'm not trying to censor anyone.

But my point is, this discussion comes up many of Chuck's Art Comments threads. Take the discussion to Art Discussion and have it out once and for all instead of continuously bringing it up in every new Sperry release, especially for a poster which wouldn't even fall under the discussion.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
smokeycat
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 pm

RiotAct wrote:ooooh metallics! Nice! Thanks for the pics
wow... :cry: even more bummed i swung and missed at this. GREAT PICS!! :clap:
ImageImageImage
automator
Nobody

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:49 pm

New image The Odyssey 11 Sperry

coleslaw
Art Expert

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:01 pm

“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Damn it. Too late. How much was squirt selling them fer?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
tmurch
Art Expert

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:57 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Damn it. Too late. How much was squirt selling them fer?
$100
Tadrules wrote:Dan Mccarthy is a pimp.
RupertPupkin wrote: This will never change. Idiocy is the true human condition.
iso munter explosions in the sky
ImageImage
smokeycat
Art Expert

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:48 pm

smokeycat wrote:
RiotAct wrote:ooooh metallics! Nice! Thanks for the pics
wow... :cry: even more bummed i swung and missed at this. GREAT PICS!! :clap:
holy crap...NOT twice!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
ImageImageImage
automator
Nobody