Agalloch 11 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:12 pm

JasonSlc wrote:Vernal Equinox aka tour version?
yup, this^^^
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 pm

thanks guys.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:27 pm

JasonSlc wrote:
I don't know if there is any explanation or rationalization of screamed vocals that help the uninitiated understand their appeal or purpose but in regard to your question of why sing at all it might help if you understand that in metal/punk/hardcore screaming is mostly for emphasis and not for aesthetic appeal. When the lyrical themes are as bold, confrontational, urgent, dark or for lack of a better more specific term, angry, it wouldn't make sense to have a timid, restrained delivery. Extreme vocals are part and parcel of a lot of the heavier genres (in my opinion necessarily so) and are in proportion to the extremity and urgency of the music and lyrical themes. To quote Shai Hulud (another band with 'cookie-monster' vocals :) ), "Some words must be screamed rather than sung or spoken". Regardless of any of that subjective, personal-taste business I think it's completely awesome people are giving the bands music a chance and in virtualmerts case, going to and STAYING for the show!
Oh I totally get that, maybe I should have prefaced my comment by saying I grew up on metal. Older metal though, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Iron Maiden Testament, etc. Before I was sucked into hippie world I was really into punk and hardcore as well, Misfits, Fugazi, Ramones, all that stuff, so I get the screaming and yelling. I just feel like if you have something to say, do it so people can at least understand what your saying. If you want your music to be accessible to new comers and people outside of your genre, it makes sense to me. Like I said, I really enjoyed the music, the the "cookie monster" vocals were a total turn off for me. I'll give any music a chance, even Katy Perry (boobs). :notworthy: :drool: :clap: I guess I forgot to add this pic:

:cautiously removes pants:
deancc
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 pm

virtualmert wrote:I just feel like if you have something to say, do it so people can at least understand what your saying. If you want your music to be accessible to new comers and people outside of your genre, it makes sense to me.
i never feel that not being able to understand lyrics is a problem, whether that be vocals screamed or in another language. often having to decipher meaning can make you appreciate it more. on the flipside, sometimes i hear great music and wish i couldn't understand the lyrics cos they're so bad.

i don't think there are many bands of this genre that put being accessible high up on their list of priorities. and actually that's the appeal for many. that said, i've heard Agalloch be referred to as "the Weezer of black metal". i'd take that to mean that in the black metal genre, they're about as accessible as you can get.
JasonSlc wrote:Regardless of any of that subjective, personal-taste business I think it's completely awesome people are giving the bands music a chance and in virtualmerts case, going to and STAYING for the show!
this is the best thing. obviously, Aaron loves this band and now some people, who normally wouldn't listen to something like this, will check them out. that's a successful poster.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 pm

deancc wrote: this is the best thing. obviously, Aaron loves this band and now some people, who normally wouldn't listen to something like this, will check them out. that's a successful poster.
had this exact chat with the merch guy! :pint:
:cautiously removes pants:
srdzevon
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 am

This is the second Horkey gig poster that I want to buy that I've known who the band was. The first that i've actually liked the band before hand. Course this doesn't matter cause it's Horkey. It could say Justin Beaver across the top and I'd still put it on my wall.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
ldiddy
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 am

Just an FYI, the tour edition is S/N out of 100. It's signed VG x/100, not sure wtf P&T is selling. Must be an artist edition, mine is for sure S/N out of 100. Think it's kind of ridiculous to drop all these editions to be honest but that's just my two cents.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 am

ldiddy wrote:Just an FYI, the tour edition is S/N out of 100. It's signed VG x/100, not sure wtf P&T is selling. Must be an artist edition, mine is for sure S/N out of 100. Think it's kind of ridiculous to drop all these editions to be honest but that's just my two cents.
they were all disclosed ahead of time. I don't see an issue. Tiny band gets a killer poster and a couple of grand in merch sales and the artist and publisher get their cut (and costs covered) by selling their edition. it's the standard gig poster business model.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:08 am

Ididdy,

you are not new here. you should be well versed to all the editions that Horkey puts out.
krisjay
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 pm

So dissapointed, I was counting on a Ebay sale to pay for this drop, then the person won and used an echeck, won't clear till the 30th, that sucks. Drop one from the list of people trying for this. Someone gets one and doesn't really want it or just wants to try for one for the hell of it, let me know.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
coleslaw
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm

“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
krisjay
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:46 pm

boxcarwilly wrote:Does anyone else think the lead singer of Agalloch sounds like Donald Duck ?
:roll:
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
bisondice
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

+1 C'mon random doodle :)
ErocAfellar wrote:Once you start buying art for the image and not the perceived value, it becomes more fun and less stressful.
felinefreckles
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

for some reason these aren't sold out yet so if you haven't gotten one then get one so i can stop trying to convince the gf to buy one also. :lol:
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:07 pm

FYI
old thread in Art Discussion smerged into this & the release thread.