Apocalypse Now 11 Doyle

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
fredo
Art God

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm

I love the look that comes over Duvall's face after, "someday this war's gonna end."
This poster kicks ayuss.
just a foil for me today, thanks
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Very nice poster. Definitely +1 for some version. Don't know which just yet. GREAT WORK! :D
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm

This poster is a definite homerun. I'll probably go for a regular because I like the color scheme a little better.

And nice nod to Hearts of Darkness with the "I swallowed a bug" quote under the MPAA rating block.
adamlikesthings
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:37 pm

definately want to get and frame both
Giclee - "One unintended consequence of Duganne's choice of name was its problematic use in the French language since it is also modern French slang for male ejaculation"
sabotage
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm

downtown wrote:If it were possible to rip off the talents of Moss & Stout into one poster Tim just did it here.
fixed.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm

sabotage wrote:
downtown wrote:If it were possible to rip off the talents of Moss & Stout into one poster Tim just did it here.
fixed.
Neh I call bullshit here. Olly "ripped off" Saul Bass and Tyler "ripped off" Drew Struzan and Led Zeppelin "ripped off" Muddy Waters and Eddie Murphy "ripped off" Richard Pryor and George Lucas "ripped off" Akira Kurosawa who "ripped off" Shakespeare and basically you're just talking out of your ass right now my friend.

Edit: additionally I don't even see the Olly Moss influence here. Are you talking about the silhouetted head being filled with other images? If so that's silly. Olly used that approach in one project and he certainly wasn't the first to do so. You want a silhouetted head? I can get you a silhouetted head. Hell I can get you one by 3 o'clock this afternoon... drymounting amateur :P
Last edited by ironjaiden on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

sabotage wrote:
fixed.
drymounting stupid. :roll:
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
sabotage wrote:
fixed.
Neh I call bullshit here. Olly "ripped off" Saul Bass and Tyler "ripped off" Drew Struzan and Led Zeppelin "ripped off" Muddy Waters and Eddie Murphy "ripped off" Richard Pryor and George Lucas "ripped off" Akira Kurosawa who "ripped off" Shakespeare and basically you're just talking out of your ass right now my friend.

Edit: additionally I don't even see the Olly Moss influence here. Are you talking about the silhouetted head being filled with other images? If so that's silly. Olly used that approach in one project and he certainly wasn't the first to do so. You want a silhouetted head? I can get you a silhouetted head. Hell I can get you one by 3 o'clock this afternoon... drymounting amateur :P
I think the term 'homage' is what Hollywood types like to use... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Yeah, right, its a "homage" to Olly and Tyler, because Olly is the only person who has worked silhouettes into his design, and Tyler is the only one who can do collages.

Tyler = linear, abrupt, and busy. This is pretty much the opposite.
Tyler = concentrates more on characters and ensemble casts. This is looking more at scenes and ideas.
Olly = minimalist. This is nowhere near minimalist.
Olly = clever graphic design. Again, no.

Extremely lame comparison IMO. :pint:
woodyland
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
sabotage wrote:
fixed.
drymounting stupid. :roll:
Agreed. I'm guessing the original quote was followed by a cowering snort.

You gotta admit 'rip off' is a strong negative descriptor.
Last edited by woodyland on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They're a Band Beyond Description, like Jehovah's Favorite Choir
lefev
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 pm

You guys and your pitchforks!
Anville
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Incredible work, sir. You have out done yourself. Cannot wait to see one up close.
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Too much BS chatter, not enough sale info.

E
mikeH

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm

DMSrabbit wrote:This is sweet. But why isnt it 24x36 like EVERY other movie print out there? Its too expensive to frame these "custom" prints. Standard 18x24 and 24x36 is much better and easier..
If you've got a mat cutter and a coupon to your local framing shop you can have this bad boy up in a 20x30 frame with a 2" mat around it for >$50. PERFECT size if you ask me :clap:
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 pm

If anyone is curious about the process I went about creating this print, there is a blog post w/ detailed photos up on Mrdoyle.com
Thank you.