Midwestern Heart 10 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
kyle
Art Expert

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm

jjbehren wrote:This image is the current wallpaper on my HTC Evo.
it makes the screen on my Aria look like a million dollars :)

:cheers:
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Aaron is printing these with Ben today
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:Aaron is printing these with Ben today
At Burlesque?
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:01 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:
ChefFerrari wrote:Aaron is printing these with Ben today
At Burlesque?
That's cool.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 pm

I just got more excited for the print. Looking forward to the variants.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 pm

I want a gold dust variant.
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Brlsq is printing it, not publishing it. So I wouldn't expect a bunch of variants.

And I know it is unpopular opinion, but I think the neurosis is my favorite poster of his. It does something for me.
artoholic
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 pm

The comment I made early in this thread came out of sheer love and the utmost respect for Aaron's art. It's simply an opinion; we all have them. This site is intended for conversation and the sharing of opinion. How friggin boring would expressobeans be if everyone just went on about how awesome the art is? I want to hear what people really think, especially if it's not the popular consensus.I have spent the better part of 10k on Aaron's art over the years (no fudge). I would say that makes me a pretty big fan of his style. That said; I would love to see Aaron do some pieces without the surrealism injected into them. Personally, I think this is an inevitability, but I could be wrong; that happened once back in 1986 when I was debating the Smurfs with one of my fellow classmates and they were insistent that I was incorrect about the name of a certain Smurf. It turned out that they were right and I was wrong, so I suppose that it is possible that I could be wrong a second time :D
Aaron's style has nothing to do with little helmeted birds, or osprey, or any other weird-ass fudge; his style is all about the detail. No one can draw with as much detail as consistently as he can. He could draw something as simple a piece of wood that would completely blow your mind! He doesn't need any kind of trademark or gimmick; his level of detail is his trademark.
"Selling my stories to the violent and perverted, all eyes are on me and I don't deserve it
Nothing to do, except I guess to play blues, sleep in my car, I’m yesterdays news"

~ Richard Terfry aka Buck 65

http://www.myspace.com/bikeforthree
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 pm

ayejay wrote:Brlsq is printing it, not publishing it. So I wouldn't expect a bunch of variants.
Well, the printing will be good regardless.

Would love to see something like this though:

appletree
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:51 pm

that's really cool he still has a relationship with burlesque. i am unaware of all the aaron horkey history since i am a late bloomer but regardless the poster scene seems so tight knit, makes it a nice community.
Last edited by appletree on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
Stingers
Art Expert

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:57 am

Little info from Mega Fauna . . .
"Midwestern Heart, 4 color screenprint on French Speckletone true white, approx 18"X26"
DJW

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:41 am

This in not fantasy in Windom, but reality...
If you've ever been driving around Windom at night you may know what I'm speaking about, if you haven't, you may someday experience it. However it has not been made clear to me if you need be raised here. I can tell you if you are aware of your surroundings that you might hear and see things that you thought were not possible and only imaginary.
deancc
Art Expert

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:03 am

ayejay wrote:And I know it is unpopular opinion, but I think the neurosis is my favorite poster of his. It does something for me.
not my favourite but i REALLY love that one too. it was the poster that introduced me to Aaron's work. i had relatively no interest in gigposters until i saw that. ahh, those were the days.
downtown
Art Expert

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:19 pm

DJW wrote:This in not fantasy in Windom, but reality...
If you've ever been driving around Windom at night you may know what I'm speaking about, if you haven't, you may someday experience it. However it has not been made clear to me if you need be raised here. I can tell you if you are aware of your surroundings that you might hear and see things that you thought were not possible and only imaginary.
I love to hear stuff like this.
Horkeys' art is enchanted so the place that inspired it must be enchanted also.
I love this kind of modern rural folklore. Horkey epitomizes that.
His work has always raised my interest in his region and the region in him.

Also, I'm sure the Midwestern Heart piece depicts the aftermath of a tornado.
Here is a google maps youtube video of a playful tornado touching down a few towns over from Windom.
Ironically enough it rips up a few stalks of corn on its way... then creates a mini rainbow... then rips up a tree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYp_pBZ3 ... r_embedded
wizdom
Art Expert

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:21 pm

I was never really into Horkey gigposters but I always admired his talent. This print blows my mind. :clap: