Bob Dylan San Francisco 10 Sperry

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to deciding if a larger piece (24" x 36" and larger) should be matted or spaced when using UV plexi? I guess what I'm getting at is if it is riskier to not mat and let the print touch the plexi and risk some sort of moisture build up between the plexi and the print? Or to mat it or space it and "wait" for the print to inevitably "bow" toward the center of print? I have a couple 24" x 36" pieces that have only 1" mats (so I can cheap out on a standard frame) and they are already starting to bow. Am I better off with no mats and risking moisture build up? I'm nervous to frame this Dylan until I can figure this out once and for all. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm

should have mine tomorrow^^those pics have me thinking about calling in sick :twisted:
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey lightyears,
If you didn't live in a freakin' cemetary in Paris, I'd track your ass down and steal your Dylan. :lol:
Seriously, your pics are awesome!
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 pm

by solthistle on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to deciding if a larger piece (24" x 36" and larger) should be matted or spaced when using UV plexi? I guess what I'm getting at is if it is riskier to not mat and let the print touch the plexi and risk some sort of moisture build up between the plexi and the print? Or to mat it or space it and "wait" for the print to inevitably "bow" toward the center of print? I have a couple 24" x 36" pieces that have only 1" mats (so I can cheap out on a standard frame) and they are already starting to bow. Am I better off with no mats and risking moisture build up? I'm nervous to frame this Dylan until I can figure this out once and for all. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
I have Kelley's Pink Floyd poster from the late 80's framed with a big black wood frame and spacers, with no mat, and it hasn't bowed in 20 years. It's a 30x40 poster. The key is having professionals frame your cherished items. Michael's and frame marts are OK for generic stuff, but trust only in respected art pros to mount, mat and frame your 'fine china'. Also, don't use a 1 inch mat on a 23x35 just so it fits in a 24x36 frame. It doesn't look nearly as good as using the art rules of thumb. The minimum is 2", which is for small and medium sized art. For larger items like 20+ x 30+, it is common to use 3" or even 4" mats. The cost of all of what I've said here is higher than if you take the cheap way out... cheap is different than inexpensive... but the results are something you'll be happy with for many years. The flip side is that you'll be unhappy with 'cheap' very quickly (and every time you look at your poster/print, you'll kick yourself for not doing it right), and you'll desparately want to re-do what you've done.

Just my personal experience speaking.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:
by solthistle on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 pm

I have Kelley's Pink Floyd poster from the late 80's framed with a big black wood frame and spacers, with no mat, and it hasn't bowed in 20 years. It's a 30x40 poster. The key is having professionals frame your cherished items. Michael's and frame marts are OK for generic stuff, but trust only in respected art pros to mount, mat and frame your 'fine china'. Also, don't use a 1 inch mat on a 23x35 just so it fits in a 24x36 frame. It doesn't look nearly as good as using the art rules of thumb. The minimum is 2", which is for small and medium sized art. For larger items like 20+ x 30+, it is common to use 3" or even 4" mats. The cost of all of what I've said here is higher than if you take the cheap way out... cheap is different than inexpensive... but the results are something you'll be happy with for many years. The flip side is that you'll be unhappy with 'cheap' very quickly (and every time you look at your poster/print, you'll kick yourself for not doing it right), and you'll desparately want to re-do what you've done.

Just my personal experience speaking.

great advise thanks Rick
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 pm

a quick peek at AF and i found this...kinda like the filet thing you were talking about...although i'd never trust the colors of the jpegs at AF. the gold could be spot on, it could be off by a mile. the frame isnt quite wide enough, and i dont like that hint of red in it. it gives you an idea what it would look like with a gold filet though.

lightyears2010
Art Expert

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:53 pm

a better example...

$120 aint too shabby for an archival frame up on a big ass print like this.

lightyears2010
Art Expert

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm

actually, that gold looks like it could work very well. i was drymountin around, but now i'm twitching my goatee.

ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 am

lightyears2010 wrote: Image
This one looks quite nice...if, as you say, the colors are spot on.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:26 am

tomorrow, I get my print... i can't wait! I promise, to post at least 10 pictures, and as always, they will be huge.
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:33 am

why is it that people will drop hundreds of dollars on prints but are afraid of dropping a little cash on framing? ....not that that american framed doesnt look good, cause it does. but, if i spent that kind of money on a print i would frame it exactly the way i wanted and wouldnt cut corners...
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am

Framing money cuts into my poster money...

Someday becomes never.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am

i just like to get the fudge up on my walls...
itsdug
Art Expert

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:10 am

jamesgunter wrote:why is it that people will drop hundreds of dollars on prints but are afraid of dropping a little cash on framing? ....not that that american framed doesnt look good, cause it does. but, if i spent that kind of money on a print i would frame it exactly the way i wanted and wouldnt cut corners...
+1
no comment ®
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:28 am

Hey lightyears,
The more I look at the options you've posted, the more I like the plain black frame. It needs to be a wide/large frame, though (as you've said), in order to give the poster a look that says it's proprely housed. Also, regarding the gold&black, it goes back to my comment about the foil version of this poster... with all the golds and colors and textures of the print itself, there's no need to try to pull it out with additional color or pizazz (e.g., gold border, foil, etc.). A black wood frame on this one reeks of elegance IMHO.
... and gunter is asking precisely the right question, not just about this poster but in general. You'll ALWAYS regret cutting corners when framing.