The End 10 Budich

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
maden
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Bralumian wrote:plus, by producing an additional 75 prints, i hardly think budich can be accused of 'flooding the market'.
75, 125, same number in my book.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Bralumian wrote: so, based on your logic as it pertains to 'proper' artists, people like warhol, keith haring, peter max, et al are not 'proper' artists because you can walk into a shop at the mall and purchase a copy of one of their works?
First of all, I take issue with the idea that what you wrote is somehow based on my logic. I suspect you're being disingenuous - I'm sure you know that there is a world of difference between mass-produced lithos and editioned prints. LIMITED edition means something specific (or should), and to an art collector it is everything. As Blue insinuates, once an artist has set a precedent of releasing previously unannounced editions/reprints/variants, it is fair to assume that they may do this again in the future. This, naturally, puts collectors off. After all, what does 'limited' really mean if you don't know how limited it actually is/will be in the future. And lets be clear, this is not (only) about money. It is also not only about the image. It is about exclusivity, the collector mentality, the cachet of having a limited edition. It is the same mentality that attaches more value to an image with an artist's signature than to an identical image that is unsigned.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm

hellosir wrote:Plus where were all you crybabies when Grafter did this exact same thing, what, a month or two ago?
:lol: I can only speak for myself, and this might sound strange considering my earlier posts, but I'm not really that bothered about any of this stuff. fudge, I can think of a couple of occasions when I've called for artists to make new editions of prints I've missed out on but really desired. However, I do completely understand why this stuff is important to some people and I think that it is a totally valid concern for them. As for me, well I just really enjoy these discussions. Either that or I'm procrastinating. Got 33 reports to write by the end of next week...
Tservo
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:38 pm

All I have to say is that I bought this print because I liked it and the price was right, the small edition size is neat because it makes me feel a bit special. That said I have no issue with him printing another colorway, it's not like the first 75 blue ones are spoiled because of that. If he had done a second printing of the blue I might feel different because it would spoil the limited nature of the blue and make me feel that I was cheated. Since that isn't the case I have no qualms with him doing this.
Image Member T.H.C. Rounds 1-4 Image
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:40 pm

I can't believe someone said they felt like a "battered wife" in the previous page over this fudge[/quote]

A slight priority adjustment is required here folks! Domestic abuse and the reprint of artwork of a TV Show are not really equatable!...get a grip! :o

But yeah...ethically, it is not exactly on the up and up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
puppetmaster
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:04 pm

So, is there no discussion of Lost being cheated? How many other artists are going to come out and do this now? :twisted:
dylansdad
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I saw the "original" when it went up. (Or do I mean the "variant"?) I passed on it because I don't see it bumping anything else off my wall.

That being said, I don't have any vested interest here--but I'm glad that I passed after seeing what happened. I would be very hesitant to purchase a "limited edition" print from this artist in the future. Variants are wonderful if they are revealed alongside the regular and your paying customers can make an informed decision prior to their purchase. Telling your customers (after the fact) that the "limited" print they just purchased is no longer going to be limited and that, sorry, it's too late to cancel--that's enough to keep me away when the next print rolls around.

So I hope the reprint pulls in enough new customers to balance out those who have been turned off and will be walking away.
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Budich seems to take more fudge than most artists. I don't know why so many people get their panties in a bunch. I'm guessing a bunch of poster enthusiasts took note of his Jack Johnson/DMB/Eddie Vedder prints and think he's just a douche who does Shepard Fairey knockoffs of whatever will make him a quick buck. Those people are obviously entitled to their opinions, but seriously... you know they're the same exact people who are lambasting his artistic integrity over this whole variant/reprint thing. That's the most confusing part of all this. I have to imagine most people who've been here for a while know they're not going to pick up a Budich as a lifelong investment, and most Losties probably don't care so much about a relatively small 2nd edition. So who's doing the complaining? Flippers? And people who didn't like Budich to begin with? This thread is so entertaining.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Evolution wrote:So who's doing the complaining? Flippers? And people who didn't like Budich to begin with?
+ bored people.
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:54 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:
Bralumian wrote: so, based on your logic as it pertains to 'proper' artists, people like warhol, keith haring, peter max, et al are not 'proper' artists because you can walk into a shop at the mall and purchase a copy of one of their works?
First of all, I take issue with the idea that what you wrote is somehow based on my logic. I suspect you're being disingenuous - I'm sure you know that there is a world of difference between mass-produced lithos and editioned prints. LIMITED edition means something specific (or should), and to an art collector it is everything. As Blue insinuates, once an artist has set a precedent of releasing previously unannounced editions/reprints/variants, it is fair to assume that they may do this again in the future. This, naturally, puts collectors off. After all, what does 'limited' really mean if you don't know how limited it actually is/will be in the future. And lets be clear, this is not (only) about money. It is also not only about the image. It is about exclusivity, the collector mentality, the cachet of having a limited edition. It is the same mentality that attaches more value to an image with an artist's signature than to an identical image that is unsigned.
how am i being disingenuous? you posited the response, so, thus, i'm citing it as 'your logic'. plus, as far as i'm concerned, you've not answered my question as it pertains to any of the above artists being 'proper' artists. because reading your response, an artist is only 'proper' if they're doing limited s/n runs, right? does an artist stop being 'proper' when he/she begins releasing unsigned/unnumbered editions? obviously, i can make the distinction between unsigned lithos/signed screenprints, as i clearly made it during my original post. i also understand the perils/pitfalls of 'limited edition' items and how supply and demand works, as the two tend to go hand in hand, and that appears to be a big factor in this particular case - budich released a second edition to help supply the demand, and now is getting read the riot act for it.

you can claim otherwise, but i truly believe most people's gripe or beef here is that now there's more of these prints (75) on the open market, and they feel that the copies they bought to flip will now be de-valued in some way. this might be true, but that's budich's prerogative, and seeing as he's trying to further his own career/advance his art, rather than line other people's pockets, it seems he felt it was more advantageous to release a second edition rather than leave those that missed the print hanging out to dry and at the mercy of the ebay wolves. is it still a limited item? yes. is there a clear distinction between the first edition and the second? yes. will he lose a few fans because of this? who knows?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Why not just make it an open edition then?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Brooks
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Codeblue wrote:Why not just make it an open edition then?
Because then no one would buy it.
kramer73
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Brooks wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Why not just make it an open edition then?
Because then no one would buy it.
not true.
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Evolution wrote:Budich seems to take more fudge than most artists. I don't know why so many people get their panties in a bunch. I'm guessing a bunch of poster enthusiasts took note of his Jack Johnson/DMB/Eddie Vedder prints and think he's just a douche who does Shepard Fairey knockoffs of whatever will make him a quick buck. Those people are obviously entitled to their opinions, but seriously... you know they're the same exact people who are lambasting his artistic integrity over this whole variant/reprint thing. That's the most confusing part of all this. I have to imagine most people who've been here for a while know they're not going to pick up a Budich as a lifelong investment, and most Losties probably don't care so much about a relatively small 2nd edition. So who's doing the complaining? Flippers? And people who didn't like Budich to begin with? This thread is so entertaining.
Bingo.

On here, liking DMB is akin to flipping off the Pope :lol:
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
maden
Art Expert

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:03 pm

I didn't realize there were so many Papists on here.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around