The End 10 Budich

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
User avatar
kramer73
Art Expert
Posts: 4282
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:00 am

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm

pjtaper wrote:
jmacleodpc19 wrote:If you're only into the resale value, then I can understand why people would be angry about the second printing. I buy art I like. If it goes up in value, that's just a bonus.
I buy art I like EVERY DAY... I like the artists to be up front about it... If I have $500 to spend on art, picked up a Budich for $100 because I thought there were only $100, then had to pass on another print I wanted because I bought the limited Budich for $100, only to find out there will be more released and I could have waited to buy it at a later date, but missed out on the other print.
Was that confusing? I have good really hash these days, hurts my IQ
you should probably stop buying Budichs then, stay focused on Emek.
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
pjtaper
Art Freak
Posts: 10371
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Waiting on EMEKs site for another sale...

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Yeah, I know... I passed on "The End" for this reason...
Ian Millard is my favorite artist to collect these days...
User avatar
Kzelk4
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Picked up a silver variant, which is nice because I missed out on the Stout and this is probably my second favorite of the many LOST posters. Although...I may like the blue better, still unsure about that. Was thinking about getting rid of my GID Lebowski and trying to get the Stout Lost, but now I think I'll hang on to it now that I have this. Now I just need to find a show that fills the void in my life now that LOST is gone. Or until the complete collection on blu-ray comes out.
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:00 am
Contact:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm

jesus, what a bunch of crybabies. the ONLY reason people are butthurt over his decision to print a second run is that they feel it will impede their ability to make money on their first run print. why shouldn't he make as much money as he can off his creation? oh, that's right, you'd prefer the folks who emailed him after missing the print have to buy one from you on ebay for 5x the cost.
pjtaper
Art Freak
Posts: 10371
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Waiting on EMEKs site for another sale...

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:46 pm

I passed on the first edition... figured there are so many lost prints out there, if I ever want to remember the show, I'll be able to pick one up for less than face in a few months/years...
It is shady keep releasing more... read my other rambling post, maybe on the previous page?
User avatar
RupertPupkin
Art Expert
Posts: 6557
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Leeds, UK

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:08 pm

Bralumian wrote:the ONLY reason... flipping etc
You are wrong, that's not the only reason people are getting their knickers in a twist. His actions are detrimental to his reputation as an artist. If he wants to be taken seriously then he should be upfront about his editions and not succumb to the temptation of a quick buck. If, on the other hand, he is not that bothered about being a 'proper' artist then he should do what he wants, but he runs a real risk of alienating many collectors if he follows that course, which may be a mistake in the long run. I should add that I have no vested interest in this debate - I don't dig Josh's style and I didnt buy this print.
pjtaper
Art Freak
Posts: 10371
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Waiting on EMEKs site for another sale...

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Well said, Rupert. :clap:
User avatar
cardhawks
Art Expert
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:00 am

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 pm

So, devils advocate here... if the flippers didn't buy these would the first edition have sold out?
So now the flippers don't buy Budich prints anymore...that still hurts the artist right?
pjtaper
Art Freak
Posts: 10371
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Waiting on EMEKs site for another sale...

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:35 pm

1st edition would have sold out, just not as quick... once the losties saw the print, it would have gone. less than a week sell out.
User avatar
ecotuanis
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:00 pm

this post isn't anything new for most of you, but for some it might be:

for some people, art is about appreciation - both aesthetically and monetarily. meaning, you can like the way a piece of art looks even if it's not worth a nickel but, dammit, you like it and that's all that matters. however, you can also invest in a piece of art because you believe it's a smart thing to do (like baseball cards, comic books, stocks, gold, etc.) and it will go up in value exponentially based on given criteria and circumstances.

when an artist takes away that smart investment element by deceiving the investor (think bernie madoff), you lose faith in the artist. many artists are UPFRONT about the "limit" of the "limited edition". they say there are going to be x# of variant prints. in this case, the investor was deceived.

in the words of old G-DUB-YA: there's an old saying in tennessee — i know it's in texas, probably in tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. fool me — you can't get fooled again."
It's so stupendous, living in this tube!
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:00 am
Contact:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:29 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:
Bralumian wrote:the ONLY reason... flipping etc
You are wrong, that's not the only reason people are getting their knickers in a twist. His actions are detrimental to his reputation as an artist. If he wants to be taken seriously then he should be upfront about his editions and not succumb to the temptation of a quick buck. If, on the other hand, he is not that bothered about being a 'proper' artist then he should do what he wants, but he runs a real risk of alienating many collectors if he follows that course, which may be a mistake in the long run. I should add that I have no vested interest in this debate - I don't dig Josh's style and I didnt buy this print.
so, based on your logic as it pertains to 'proper' artists, people like warhol, keith haring, peter max, et al are not 'proper' artists because you can walk into a shop at the mall and purchase a copy of one of their works? isn't it the 'job' of an artist to make sure as many people have access to their work as possible? obviously, litho editions of people like warhol that number in the hundreds of thousands are quite different from a second run of 75 silkscreened prints, but don't they both fall under the umbrella of trying to increase their creator's visibility in the art world?

i'm with you, i've no vested interest in the debate, no money to be made or lost by me here. just curious, that's all.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52170
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:00 pm

What if Warhol kept issuing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th etc. etc. editions of the silkscreened works instead of cheap lithos to "make sure as many people as possible" had access to his work?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
hellosir
Art Freak
Posts: 11189
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:05 am

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:05 pm

CodeBlue just made a semi-interesting post. Go ahead and take the rest of the day off champ

I can't believe someone said they felt like a "battered wife" in the previous page over this fudge
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:00 am
Contact:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Codeblue wrote:What if Warhol kept issuing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th etc. etc. editions of the silkscreened works instead of cheap lithos to "make sure as many people as possible" had access to his work?
what if he had? would that de-value the 1st editions or make them more sought after? my thinking is the latter. it's no different than when people re-issue records; it invariably makes the originals more valuable/sought after because, due to the reissue, more people are aware of the record and, collectors especially, will seek out an original copy.

plus, by producing an additional 75 prints, i hardly think budich can be accused of 'flooding the market'.
User avatar
hellosir
Art Freak
Posts: 11189
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:05 am

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Plus where were all you crybabies when Grafter did this exact same thing, what, a month or two ago?
Post Reply