"R.I.(b)P." (Rest In Petroleum) 10 EMEK

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:24 pm

On Monday, BP said it spent $350 million in the first 20 days of the spill response, about $17.5 million a day. It has paid 295 of the 4,700 claims received, for a total of $3.5 million. By contrast, in the first quarter of the year, the London-based oil giant’s profits averaged $93 million a day.
The amount of oil leaking into the Gulf of Mexico has been estimated at 5,000 to 25,000 barrels a day. In the first quarter, BP produced 2.5 million barrels of crude oil a day worldwide — and it received $71.86 for every barrel.
At $93 million a day in profits, BP makes $350 million in about 3.8 days. The Washington Post noted that Exxon, through a decision by the Supreme Court, was able to pay only $507.5 million of the original $5 billion in punitive damages that it had been assessed for the 1989 Valdez disaster.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Republicans just (Sat) shot down legislation to up the spill liability from 75 Million to 10 Billion.
coleslaw
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:39 pm

I feel so bad for all the animals and marine life that have been killed and/or had their home contaminated, and also for the people that rely on the water for their work and jobs (their life work for most).

BP *needs* to step it up and own up to what they did and continue to do which is leak more and more oil into the gulf and dish out some serious cash and get this horrible problem fixed.

btw 10 billion dollars seems like a good start...time will tell how bad this situation really is, but they NEED to plug that leak and quickly at that...it can be done, it needs to be done. .02 fwiw...

Still very nice of EMEK & Ronni to help out a bit :clap:

Anyhow...I'm really looking forward to checking out my first EMEK foil and think the BP logo for the eye was a excellent idea.
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Why do these spills always seem to happen around U.S. lands? Have there ever been spills like this in different parts of the world (Venezuela, China, Russia)? Not saying its right to happen anywhere. Just wondering why us I guess?
lazk
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm

fluffhead13 wrote:Why do these spills always seem to happen around U.S. lands? Have there ever been spills like this in different parts of the world (Venezuela, China, Russia)? Not saying its right to happen anywhere. Just wondering why us I guess?
Obama
T.K.C.
coleslaw
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 3:01 pm

http://envirowonk.com/content/view/68/1/

it appears they have, Valdez didn't even make the list... :shock:

top 10: (so far)...

These ten oil spills, all massively larger than the Exxon Valdez, were all smaller new stories, either because the ships were offshore, or dropped their toxic loads in less developed parts of the world. The Valdez spilled 10 million gallons off the coast of Alaska, the smallest spill in the top ten was four times larger.

1. Kuwait - 1991 - 520 million gallons
Iraqi forces opened the valves of several oil tankers in order to slow the invasion of American troops. The oil slick was four inches thick and covered 4000 square miles of ocean.
2. Mexico - 1980 - 100 million gallons
An accident in an oil well caused an explosion which then caused the well to collapse. The well remained open, spilling 30,000 gallons a day into the ocean for a full year.
3. Trinidad and Tobago - 1979 - 90 million
During a tropical storm off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago, a Greek oil tanker collided with another ship, and lost nearly its entire cargo.
4. Russia - 1994 - 84 million gallons
A broken pipeline in Russia leaked for eight months before it was noticed and repaired.
5. Persian Gulf - 1983 - 80 million gallons
A tanker collided with a drilling platform which, eventually, collapsed into the sea. The well continued to spill oil into the ocean for seven months before it was repaired.
6. South Africa - 1983 - 79 million gallons
A tanker cought fire and was abandoned before sinking 25 miles off the coast of Saldanha Bay.
7. France - 1978 - 69 million gallons
A tanker's rudder was broken in a severe storm, despite several ships responding to its distress call, the ship ran aground and broke in two. It's entire payload was dumped into the English Channel.
8. Angola - 1991 - more than 51 million gallons
The tanker expolded, exact quantity of spill unknown
9. Italy - 1991 - 45 million gallons
The tanker exploded and sank off the coast of Italy and continued leaking it's oil into the ocean for 12 years.
10. Odyssey Oil Spill - 1988 - 40 million gallons
700 nautical miles off the cost of Nova Scotia.

The Exxon Valdez oil spill was a disaster, but so were the 33 oil spills that were, in fact, worse. Spills have slowed down in recent years, due to advances in logistics and tanker hulls. There are no longer any new single-hulled tankers being built...but there are still plenty that haven't yet been decommissioned.

But as long as we're dependent on the stuff, there will be accidents, as there were three in 2007 alone, one of over 3 million gallons of oil.

Thanks to Wikipedia and Associated Content
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon May 24, 2010 3:03 pm

fluffhead13 wrote:Why do these spills always seem to happen around U.S. lands? Have there ever been spills like this in different parts of the world (Venezuela, China, Russia)? Not saying its right to happen anywhere. Just wondering why us I guess?
Here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_spills ... oil_spills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills
Mention
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm

There are spills that happen all over all the time. You just don't hear about them in the US media most of the time. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. Read an article the other day that talks about how Nigeria has an Exxon Valdez sized amount of oil 'dumped' into their lands/rivers/lakes/oceans every year. Part because the Oil companies don't care, and also due to Rebels.

Kneel beat me on the link.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
coleslaw
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 pm

One already up on the 'bay :roll:

BIN 89.99 (not my auction, I don't use ebay to sell, anyways)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0475998152
PhishNuggets420
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Why are these out of stock? I thought it was a time based edition size.
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon May 24, 2010 4:20 pm

PhishNuggets420 wrote:Why are these out of stock? I thought it was a time based edition size.
Only if it undersold the 400 mark. "Limited edition of no more than 400 (final edition size will be determined by number of sales)"
PhishNuggets420
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 24, 2010 4:23 pm

KNEEL13 wrote:
PhishNuggets420 wrote:Why are these out of stock? I thought it was a time based edition size.
Only if it undersold the 400 mark. "Limited edition of no more than 400 (final edition size will be determined by number of sales)"
Schizen! I didn't read the whole thing. Wish I hadn't missed out on this one, but I'm an idiot.
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 pm

60 minutes piece a week ago yesterday. Very informative (and it will piss you off).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/ ... 0197.shtml
IggyD
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 6:31 pm

PhishNuggets420 wrote:
KNEEL13 wrote:
Schizen! I didn't read the whole thing. Wish I hadn't missed out on this one, but I'm an idiot.
+1
Tapecat
Art Expert

Tue May 25, 2010 8:40 am

no happy missing this....
One day I might get an elusive foil something.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage