Them Crooked Vultures Toronto 10 Jermaine

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Fri May 14, 2010 12:49 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Them Crooked Vultures Toronto 10 Jermaine

Grtdane06
Art Expert

Fri May 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Another great TCV print by JR!
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil:
RITFW
Art Expert

Fri May 14, 2010 12:56 pm

drymounting eh!

Now I'm going early.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Fri May 14, 2010 6:51 pm

he's doing a nice job thus far. good poster....but my least fav of the 3 so far.
Grtdane06
Art Expert

Sun May 16, 2010 6:39 am

Looks great in person....well done!
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil:
rival
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 16, 2010 6:47 pm

They look great in person. If I could make any sort of criticism, it would be that the text is too plain. But none the less, fantastic print. I was fortunate enough to get a security guard who was cool and he let me in with a tube. I didn't have to worry about the print at all for the whole night. It was a great show.
JaySin
Art Enthusiast

Tue May 18, 2010 11:46 am

Text too plain? For the record, the text on the poster is different than the one pictures. One of the coolest fonts I've seen. Not blown away by the poster overall but it's nice to finally get something half decent for a Toronto show.
automator
Nobody

Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm

New image Them Crooked Vultures Toronto 10 Jermaine

stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 pm

so Badass
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Best of the 3 new ones by far, IMHO.
Great Zep image transformed in amazing fashion by JR!
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I guess Grohl is JPJ's lantern (drums light the path for the bass, perhaps)?
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Three different foils and a defaced!
What a release for a killer image!
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 4:05 pm

A quote from JR, from his facebook page:
A quick nugget for some of you:
i just got an email from someone wanting to know if there were any deeper intended meanings in the Toronto TCV print.
Aside from the obvious band connotations, yes.
I Understand the desire from many to have a window into the process of idea to sketch to final product. In my case, the first ...stage is always the most difficult. The idea has to make sense...and be tinged with a bit of static to piss just the right amount of people off. I've never been interested in making 'eye candy'...'pretty posters'. Other artists do that better.
I rarely EVER tell why i do what i do with imagery...so enjoy this. ;)
Obviously, JPJ is represented by the wise old Hermit. The Hermit is an ancient scriptic symbol of distanced reflection and wisdom (appropriately used as the gatefold art in Zep 4: the old Hermit on the mountain). He advises, instructs, and observes. JPJ, in so many words.
Homme is very much the leader of the band, both vocally and aesthetically. So he is a foundation circle in which the band thrives. 'Foundation Circles' or 'Sacred Circles' have very often been used throughout human cultures as areas of strong power as well as areas of protection. Take it from me...to watch Homme around these guys...I mean in a social setting...like at dinner or something...he comes off as the 'big brother'. He'll speak for them to protect their voice. He'd fight you to protect their good names, if he had to. The Hermit stands securely in this 'circle of power'.
Grohl's drumming leads the band very much in a tribal fashion. by virtue of his insturment, he dictates the tone of the grooves and the atmosphere of the music. Aggressive, passive, consistent, frenetic...all of these moods are communicated primarily through him. He is the light that the hermit holds...he leads the way...and very much so in a rhythmic sense for JPJ and his bass-lines.

so...there you go.
thought some of you might care. ;)
oooooIIIooooo
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:I guess Grohl is JPJ's lantern (drums light the path for the bass, perhaps)?
good call!
an experiment in phonology
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 4:19 pm

by oooooIIIooooo on Fri May 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:
I guess Grohl is JPJ's lantern (drums light the path for the bass, perhaps)?

good call!
It's what struck me the other day the moment I saw the image. This is why Toronto is by far my favorite of these 3 new TCV posters. I scrambled to find the Zep image, because I couldn't remember exactly what all was in it. I had no 'vibe' on the Homme part, but there's often magic between drummers and bass players (the most obvious to me being Keith Moon and John Entwhistle). I love the fact that JR was able to integrate all 3 band members into this image in a meaningful way, especially since a significant component was JR's personal observation with Homme that isn't an obvious (to me) part of the music.

Net: This is an incredible poster. JR, you've done it again! :clap: :notworthy:
Last edited by Rick_a_c on Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.