White Stripes Emerald City 10 Jones

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:01 am

mkuborn wrote:man that is an amazing doodle, wish it was on the front and i would trade for my reg+cash.

edit, come to think of it, would never fit on the front...
yeah i wish rob woulda doodled on the front of these but youre right, there isnt room...

if i keep this and frame it the doodle will be gone forever....is there anyway to frame a piece with a window on the backside so that a small portion of the print's reverse side is visible? does that make any sense at all? maybe a beveled cut through the foam backing? $$$$ :?
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 am

No doodle for me, but he threw in the JONESES handbill, which is killer with the metallic red.

Observation: The numbering on this copy of Emerald City uses Roman Numerals. The original release of this poster/print used Arabic numbers. Both are editions of 210.

Question: Does anyone know if this current run is a 2nd edition? I don't recall Rob ever doing this before. What am I missing?
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:06 am

Rick_a_c wrote:No doodle for me, but he threw in the JONESES handbill, which is killer with the metallic red.

Observation: The numbering on this copy of Emerald City uses Roman Numerals. The original release of this poster/print used Arabic numbers. Both are editions of 210.

Question: Does anyone know if this current run is a 2nd edition? I don't recall Rob ever doing this before. What am I missing?
No doodle here either, but ditto on the Roman numerals.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:11 am

yeah i was wondering the same thing...i thought that the roman numerals looked different than a previous sig shot i had seen...
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 am

The copy I had (bought from Rob quite a while ago) was definitely numbered conventionally. It does seem strange that these are numbered differently if they're from the same run.
this aggression will not stand, man.
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 am

The only time I've ever seen this type of thing was with an art print by John Entwhistle called Spirit of 76'.
He did 2 editions; a US run and a European run. He numbered the US run with arabic numbering and the European run with Roman Numerals.

I've emailed Rob to ask about this situation. I'll update the thread if I get any post-able info.
Last edited by Rick_a_c on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Vytis33
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am

I've had a copy framed for a while now and it's definitely numbered traditionally.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Grammy winners do whatever they want.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 pm

My point (so far) is that there are definitely 2 editions, each of 210 prints. Therefore, there are 420 of this image now rather than 210. That makes a difference in a number of possible ways.

That being said, I think EB should be able to document and segment the 2 versions in the 'correct' manner. If possible, shouldn't the explanation come from the artist?

Also, some/most people would have liked to have known that the drop a few weeks ago was for something other than a copy of the original edition of 210. It doesn't matter to me whether the artist is popular or a grammy winner or eccentric, all of which Rob is.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:59 pm

So you heard back from Rob?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
starkiller
EB Team

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 pm

how can you be sure there are 'definitely' 2 editions of 210?
EB Team

pewter14 wrote:
Once people realize ...
1) You cannot have every poster.
2) You do not need every poster.
3) There is always another poster.
... this hobby will become a lot more enjoyable. It's quite cathartic once you accept these truths.
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

1. Haven't heard back yet. I'll post an update if/when
2. Not 100% sure it's 2 editions, but what's your guess if everone who has posted thus far is getting roman numerals now and had only seen or heard of arabic numbers up until this drop? I just got number XXVI (i.e., 26)... common sense tells me Rob sold more than 25 prior to this drop... if he sends them out sequentially. This is one of the reasons I want to get the scoop from the horse's mouth.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Might be best to wait til ya hear back before jumping to conclusions.
Craig_of_J
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:1. Haven't heard back yet. I'll post an update if/when
2. Not 100% sure it's 2 editions, but what's your guess if everone who has posted thus far is getting roman numerals now and had only seen or heard of arabic numbers up until this drop? I just got number XXVI (i.e., 26)... common sense tells me Rob sold more than 25 prior to this drop... if he sends them out sequentially. This is one of the reasons I want to get the scoop from the horse's mouth.

I would agree that waiting to hear back is the prudent thing to do here, and I really don't get any sense that Rob (necessarily) sends things out sequentially, having purchased many prints from him over time.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:24 pm

FYI, the numbering on Rob Jones White Stripes posters sounds wacky in general. Here is a quote from a thread that was taken from a quote from Rob in a thread that I believe is now purged:
RobJones wrote:
Posters sent to shows are 50 to 100, and then 165 to whatever amount the merch manager and I determine can accommodate that particular city/venue (we know from past experience we can sell more posters at the Greek than say Lupo's in Providence).

I could give a flying drymount about numbers on posters I buy, but I know some people get a hard-on for lower numbers, so I thought it would be cool for people who show up at a concert to have an opportunity to have posters numbered under a 100.

Sets are sold from my allotted amount. I have a good space of numbers left at the end to make up for numbers that are already spoken for by management, band, etc. (3, 33, 133, and others for Racs. Last poster of any run, say 241/241 goes to the merch manager). I sell singles at Flatstock from these numbers starting from the back as it's easy to keep track of.

I have two books, one for White Stripes and one for Racs where I record numbers of what's sold. People know this which is why you'll have schmucks hiding the number on their ebay auctions or lying about them.

I wasn't winging it at Flatstock. I didn't know the edition sizes by memory so I had Dustin or Jody call my wife to find them out on the phone as I was signing posters or looking them up on the internet when available.

I haven't sold any posters from the 2008 tour apart from a scant few sent from Seattle numbered but unsigned like the concert posters to people who gave me some story as to why they needed the poster. I knew I hadn't sold more than two of any of them, so I started numbering 3 from the last number to be safe until I got my book back from my wife.