Super Nova Jimi 10 Mear One

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
User avatar
retter
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:08 pm

always tryin to keep a brother down
User avatar
Catarax
Art Expert
Posts: 6961
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Beantown/Wormtown

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm

pvecchi wrote:
cardhawks wrote:IMO it should have ended before Choe.... way before Choe....like a real long time ago...
And I never got why everyone liiked Choe's so much either....since when did Hendrix have dreads?
Couldn't agree more.
while we're at it, what's with all the beatles and kiss merch.. it's going to be a never ending flow..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
User avatar
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Yeah this really isn't a great portrayal of Jimi, and yes the Choe one is twenty times better, nevermind the price on this was as well.

But Iratsan as far as OD'ing goes, he actually choked on his own vomit after taking sleeping pills and wine, he didn't actually OD on a hard drug per say. Also I don't think he really was out of stuff. I mean the guy put out so much music in only a really short time period and he was constantly changing. If you look at his playing in 67-68 vs. 69-70 you could tell he was growing. Also when you take into account how many different types of musicians he played with it really was amazing. The sounds he got out of his guitar and his style is so unique, he was ahead of his times on many levels. I mean can you just imagine if he had access to the equipment they do today, different pedals, better studios and technology, it really is sad that he is not around.

I agree with you on the who and stones thing though, it does suck seeing them all old and crusty lol. But that is the beauty with people like Hendrix, they were great and they really had no time to suck. I think Jimi had alot more to offer, but eventually yeah he might have become what all older rock musicians become. But then again look at someone like Neil Young, I wouldn't consider him a "sell out" or a marketable legend band like the stones and who are. I don't see him playing the half time superbowl anytime soon. I'd like to think Hendrix maybe would have been the same way.
"thanks for doing that for us slow people!!" Jojodumbass
User avatar
cadeallaw
Art Expert
Posts: 5447
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Dayton, OH
Contact:

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Now Tom Waits on the otherhand...
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 pm

phishbeatles wrote:Yeah this really isn't a great portrayal of Jimi, and yes the Choe one is twenty times better, nevermind the price on this was as well.

But Iratsan as far as OD'ing goes, he actually choked on his own vomit after taking sleeping pills and wine, he didn't actually OD on a hard drug per say. Also I don't think he really was out of stuff. I mean the guy put out so much music in only a really short time period and he was constantly changing. If you look at his playing in 67-68 vs. 69-70 you could tell he was growing. Also when you take into account how many different types of musicians he played with it really was amazing. The sounds he got out of his guitar and his style is so unique, he was ahead of his times on many levels. I mean can you just imagine if he had access to the equipment they do today, different pedals, better studios and technology, it really is sad that he is not around.

I agree with you on the who and stones thing though, it does suck seeing them all old and crusty lol. But that is the beauty with people like Hendrix, they were great and they really had no time to suck. I think Jimi had alot more to offer, but eventually yeah he might have become what all older rock musicians become. But then again look at someone like Neil Young, I wouldn't consider him a "sell out" or a marketable legend band like the stones and who are. I don't see him playing the half time superbowl anytime soon. I'd like to think Hendrix maybe would have been the same way.
actually i know about the way he died. if he would have brought to the hospital properly and in the right position then he would have very well lived, but that's not my point. he was a human being with all it's positives and negatives and thereby should be respected and his work should be admired, but iconisations like this are displaced. this particular portrayal shows him even god-like. he wasn't a god. furthermore there is no god.

yes, i consider that possibillity, but chances are equally high/low that he might have not. same goes for most dead artists. take cobain for example. could have gotten his fudge together and make some breathtaking albums or could have become even more depressive, keeping on howling "man who sold the world" into his beard. we will never know.

i don't consider young a sellout. great musician, not really my piece of cake, but a great musician.

the stones on the other hand stopped being interesting like after 5 years into their career. they are no marketable legend. they are just sad at this moment in time. i could very well imagine them playing with miley cyrus, who i would consider the more credible artist at this point in time in comparison, at the superbowl halftime.

just look at jim morrisson. don't you too wished, someone would have stabbed him to death before he became that bloated blob of nothingness?

or aerosmith. a planecrash after their 2nd album wouldn't have been the worst thing in retrospective.
cadeallaw wrote:Now Tom Waits on the otherhand...
funnily enough, in that particluar case i beg to differ.
baurmanngallery
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:50 am

Here are some process photos from the original oil on canvas:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



Here are some close up shots from the process & final canvas:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
baurmanngallery
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:15 am

Thank you all for the feedback and discussion so far in regards to the upcoming print. In terms of pricing, we always try to be transparent and open:

MEAR and myself have made a very strong effort to put out extremely high quality limited edition works for a very fair price. One of the main reasons we could put out some past limited editions so cheaply was the immense time and effort MEAR personally put into the artwork creation, separation and actual printing process itself. Unfortunately, we can’t produce Giclees in the same manner where, due to MEAR’s skill and hard work, we can save on costs substantially.

To my knowledge, there is not really a way to cheaply make a large, high-end giclee that is reflective of the quality & effort invested into a highly detailed/intricate original oil painting. There have been tremendous advancements in technology that have brought down the price of printers for smaller giclees, but this image size will be 33.5” wide (needing at least a 44 inch wide printer). We could have reduced cost by going smaller on the size, but it just would have not done the original justice in our opinion.

Overall, this image will only be done once and we wanted to do it right in terms of quality especially. Also, this is not a cheap release but MEAR’s fine art has never been cheap, especially his massively time intensive works. The original canvas is priced at 40K (and debuted at the “Street Legal” show @ Rivera & Rivera gallery). His latest sculpture has a VERY hefty price tag on it too. We have tried to put out top-notch quality prints for a fair price in the past (and will continue to do so in the future) but in terms of costs, for a limited edition giclee of the quality and size, $650 is a fair price in my opinion.
Thanks again for checking out the upcoming release.

Please email info@baurmanngallery.com if any detailed questions can be answered or any help can be provided.
baurmanngallery
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 am

Here are some photos of work on his newly finished 13 feet tall sculpture titled “Pillar of Consciousness”:

Image

Image

Image

Image
baurmanngallery
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 am

Here are additional photos (of the early stages):
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
baurmanngallery
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 am

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
baurmanngallery
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:48 am

Here are some photos from the live painting at the LA art fair at the end of last month:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
Posts: 8940
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:29 pm

iratasan wrote: just look at jim morrisson. don't you too wished, someone would have stabbed him to death before he became that bloated blob of nothingness?
i think LA woman is some of jim's best stuff. the fact that he gained weight and grew a beard has nothing to do with his musical talent.

if you want to know about the real jim, read a book or two. i hope you aren't basing your opinion of him on oliver stone's 1 dimensional portrayal.
qtully
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:00 am

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

i think i saw this on a van...down by the river.
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:51 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:
iratasan wrote: just look at jim morrisson. don't you too wished, someone would have stabbed him to death before he became that bloated blob of nothingness?
i think LA woman is some of jim's best stuff. the fact that he gained weight and grew a beard has nothing to do with his musical talent.

if you want to know about the real jim, read a book or two. i hope you aren't basing your opinion of him on oliver stone's 1 dimensional portrayal.
true, but overall he was on the downward spiral already.

nah, bro. i could not even watch the movie until the middle of the runtime. terrible. kilmer tried, but he just could not save it.
User avatar
atomic
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 am

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:04 pm

great pictures of the process.. thanks
Post Reply