White Cosmonaut 09 Geddes

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
SUCKERPUNCH
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:21 pm

True, these things happen, i would sale all my other crap before i sale my prints.
treweman
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:47 pm

When all is said and done, Geddes prints aren't as pricey as, say, Shag (Josh Agle) who routinely has runs of 300. We bitch a lot about price, but prices aren't setting any new records. If we are honest, the real issue is availability. When EISB&W was experiencing exponential growth in asking prices, they were still routinely popping up for sale. We ooh and aah when a framed Heat Death sells for $1100 :wink: or when a new member offers $1100 in an ISO thread, but these prices aren't outrageous. What is depressing is how tightly owners are clutching the earlier Geddes prints. Alley, Freeway, Glory, Heat Death, White Cosmo, all are rare birds. Yes, I want a White Cosmonaut, and yes, I am willing to bring a Brinks truck to the sale, if only I could find a sale to bring it to. With a run size over 200, patience may be the key. And being in the right place at the right time.
SUCKERPUNCH
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeah let the hype die down, should see some pop out the wood work then, prices may dive a bit too then, people will get bored and move on to some other thing.
Cragars
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Hope so :( I would love to own Alley.
mgwashburn
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:46 pm

I have an extra one of these prints (It's a long and somewhat sad story why I bought two of them), am I best off selling my extra one now or should I wait awhile while the value of Jeremy's work continues to increase?

For those that care to know why I bought two of them...

This along with ' The Street' is the first print I bought from Jeremy and Sophie, and as soon as I got it, I unrolled and let it flatten out on top of my kitchen island face up (It's so awesome, I wanted to see it whenever I walked by for a few days).

My cat had gotten very ill and had a bladder infection that almost killed him. After five days/nights at the Vet, I brought him home.

For whatever reason, maybe the medication he was on, he jumped up on my kitchen counter, possibly in search of food. In the process, he was claws out and there is now a noticeable 1-inch scratch on the top edge of the White Cosmonaut Giclee.

I am somewhat anal about having a perfect copy, and when I placed my order for adrift, went ahead and ordered a second 'White Cosmonaut' as I was somewhat depressed about this small imperfection in my first print.

Major bummer, but my framer told me they have an artist that does touch-ups and they will be able to fix it....hopefully it won't cost too much.
Last edited by mgwashburn on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 pm

jeez stringer it took almost 20 whole mins to jump on that lead... you're slipping. 8)
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
rauchadam
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 pm

I am somewhat anal about having a perfect copy, and when I placed my order for adrift, went ahead and ordered a second 'White Cosmonaut' as I was somewhat depressed about this small imperfection in my first print.
Wasn't White Cosmonaut sold out long before Adrift went on sale?
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:jeez stringer it took almost 20 whole mins to jump on that lead... you're slipping. 8)
8)
rauchadam wrote:
Wasn't White Cosmonaut sold out long before Adrift went on sale?
Yes it was...
mgwashburn
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:33 pm

My bad,

I went through my past order emails from Soph and,

I purchased 'The Street', The White & Red Cosmonaut combo (they sold them as a pair for awhile) and Cafe in Dec 2010

Then my cat damaged the White Cosmonaut after I received it in mid-Jan 2011

I purchased the additional White Cosmonaut on Jan 17th (I remember that I e-mailed Sophie and she told me there were only a handful left, so I pulled the trigger right away).

Purchased Adrift in March 2011 and APV obviously a little over a week ago.

On and off, I purchase many prints, its sometimes hard for me to remember the time-line.

I will take some photos of both my perfect White Cosmonaut and the slightly damaged one tomorrow...maybe someone here can give me their opinion on which one to keep and which one to sell or trade.

I have been given a referral to a local art restorer near where I live, so its possible that I will have him fix the scratch and frame/keep the damaged one...

thanks for the replies and the PMs
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 am

mgwashburn wrote:I have an extra one of these prints (It's a long and somewhat sad story why I bought two of them), am I best off selling my extra one now or should I wait awhile while the value of Jeremy's work continues to increase?
Honestly, value will increase around next year's gallery show BUT demand for white cosmo is so high right now and there hasn't been one on the market in so long that you'll probably be able to get nearly as much for that particular print now as you would next year. If you wait, you run the risk of other people deciding to sell and flooding the market.

Even though cluster study sold for an insane $622 the other day, only 2 people bid over $450 for it.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Lomier66
Art Expert

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 am

Think the upshot is, if you put the mint one up for auction it will go for a sh!t load! Probably on a par with Heat Death as his most sought after print. Lucky you for getting two… especially of the damaged one can be repaired. :D
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
treweman
Art Expert

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 am

there hasn't been one on the market in so long
A common misconception ... not all prints are openly advertised on eBay or this forum, and not all sales are recorded in the EB data base. And yes, a White Cosmonaut was available and sold this week. And no, the selling price was not at Heat Death levels.

All the speculation about future prices is sometimes interesting if the intention is flipping or if several prints are currently on the market and a decision must be made to buy now or wait and buy later. But in general, no one on this forum has a Magic 8 Ball that reliably predicts price trends. A lot of us like to think we do, and we write Moby Dick like treatises on the subject. But like Moby Dick, which has a great story line but is a seriously overrated novel (hundreds of pages of whale anatomy and blubber industry later, its clear that The Confidence Man and Billy Budd are far superior reads), we're just blowing sea water. Perhaps it is time to return to art and our critique of it.

As a suggestion, I'd like to see a separate board entry for price discussions, much as we have a separate place to discuss ISO and FS/FT stuff.
mgwashburn
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 am

Very depressing photo below...this is the damage my cat did to my first White Cosmonaut

Closeup of scratches left by my cats attempt to jump up on the kitchen island counter... :cry:

The claws left gouges in the print...not sure how an art restorer works, but hopefully they can fill the gouges and then dab the correct paint color over the damaged areas.

Very depressed when this happened, I agonized about what to do for a few days and finally decided that I REALLY wanted a perfect copy of this print, so I bought another one shortly before it sold out.

Lesson learned...if you own any kind of pet that can damage your print...flatten them face-down for protection. If the scratch was on the back of the print, it would not have been so bad.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

Let me know when the page turns and that scary picture is gone! Sorry man, that looks painful

Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."