Mondriart 10 Mr. Brainwash

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 pm

jazzgalaxy wrote:
How is this a tribute to Mondrian? Explain, please.
It's like when an ex girlfriend pays tribute by setting your car on fire.

:rolling:
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm

When does EB post a link for us to vote for piles of crap - both art and gigposter?

I'm sure noone can produce a crappier piece of work than this in 2010.

Shouldn't there be a best and WORST for the year?

'Just asking....never thought of it before now.

Please please oh please ebean gods! Can we please have a worst work of the year category for next year huh, please can we huh PLEASE!??!!

Brainwash needs to do a portrait of Flav-o-flav with some toothless skank hoes stickin their heads out in the background of a broken heart symbol entitled: "Don't Believe The Hype!" ..poor Public Enemy...

Now THAT's genius.
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm

EMEK:
In efforts to help the thousands of people suffering in Haiti, we were going to donate the proceeds from this sale to relief efforts in Haiti, but instead I decided to create a limited edition art print specifically designed for the situation, hoping to have it ready for sale by the end of the week
- more news coming soon...
This is how you be a super *startist.

*see what I did there
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm

If anyone sees this guy at the show in NY...how about splattering some babygreensh!t across his head, snap a photo and say you did it as paying "tribute". I'll pay 2grand for that! I'll donate it all to Redcross. Better yet, anyone with other childrens soupy poo piles in varying colors who can get in on the action and produce variants of this photo...I'll handsomely reward as well. I'll match the payments for variants with donatinos to the red cross. Please help!
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
rmoore
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:33 pm

"Tremendous concentrations of paper wealth have made it possible for a few persons or institutions to endow certain sorts of human playfulness with inappropriate and hence distressing seriousness."

— Kurt Vonnegut, Bluebeard
henrys301
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm

trash.looks like an orla kiley hand bag or a beech towel with paint splashed on it.buy this and you need your brain rebooted.i like mr brainwashs work.if this sells i will start making my own prints to sell.very disappointing with no taught, using his name and the haiti earthquake to line his pockets.
Subtle
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm

comountaingolf wrote:
Subtle wrote:
schmoff wrote:
AttorneyGreg wrote:Wow. It's almost as popular to bash Mr. Brainwash as it is Fairey. It's interesting, it's different, and a portion goes to a good cause. It's not that bad, just pricey.

i agree, the other color variants look much better than the gold and silver do

it's hilarious how much rage he generates. Go Brainwash!!! The red one is sweet!
I don't think that MBW generates rage at all. Rather, most of his work is absolute fudge and we're just getting tired of peeps such as yourself who have somehow convinced themselves that the red is sweet... 'cause it is not sweet. It is a piece of fudge rip-off. But, feel free, spend those dollars... :lol:
nope. you're wrong. It's rage, bloody red and jealous. Flaming envious rage! I love it. Don't worry, you'll be ok. Just remember to breath during his next few releases...the guy is not leaving the art scene anytime soon. Did I mention that the red one is SWEET!!!
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Yeah, you got me... I am very envious of Douchebags like yourself that throw their hard-earned dollars away on the absolutely shitty art of MBW... like the sweet red one you just picked up ... :rolling: As far as long-term, we'll see what happens to MBW after he gets laughed out of the NYC after his show :lol:

Honestly, spend your money on what you want to spend it on. And feel free to come on EB and wax poetic on the shite works of MBW. It only makes you look like a complete knob. Which, like I said earlier, is fine by me...

I have nothing else left to say about MBW, so enjoy!
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:47 pm

downbytheriver wrote:When does EB post a link for us to vote for piles of crap - both art and gigposter?

I'm sure noone can produce a crappier piece of work than this in 2010.

Shouldn't there be a best and WORST for the year?

'Just asking....never thought of it before now.

Please please oh please ebean gods! Can we please have a worst work of the year category for next year huh, please can we huh PLEASE!??!!

Brainwash needs to do a portrait of Flav-o-flav with some toothless skank hoes stickin their heads out in the background of a broken heart symbol entitled: "Don't Believe The Hype!" ..poor Public Enemy...

Now THAT's genius.
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
Subtle
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:50 pm

comountaingolf wrote:Yeah, you got me... I am very envious of Douchebags like yourself that throw their hard-earned dollars away on the absolutely shitty art of MBW... like the sweet red one you just picked up ... :rolling: As far as long-term, we'll see what happens to MBW after he gets laughed out of the NYC after his show :lol:

Honestly, spend your money on what you want to spend it on. And feel free to come on EB and wax poetic on the shite works of MBW. It only makes you look like a complete knob. Which, like I said earlier, is fine by me...

I have nothing else left to say about MBW, so enjoy!
oh, I never said I was going to buy it, just said it was sweet (i'm saving all my money for lift tickets this year, boarding is much more important than art)!!! If you spent more time on the course and less time in MBW threads you might be a better golfer.

See you in the next MBW thread comountaingolf!!
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:54 pm

did any of the eb brain trust stop to think that maybe he planned to release these prints, haiti happened, and he decided to donate a little? i doubt this print was conceived and got ready for release in the week after Haiti occurred. Alas, the haters here will love to hate.

I like the print, although the price tag is high (and way way high on the smaller runs)
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:18 pm

AttorneyGreg wrote:It's interesting, it's different
Interesting? Well it has generated debate, so I suppose that case can be argued convincingly, but different? Different to what? It's certainly not different to a Mondrian. In fact it's, er, what's the opposite of different? Oh yes, same. That's it. It's the same as a Mondrian. Virtually identical in fact, except some fudge apppears to have been dropped on it.
cadeallaw wrote:to say it isn't a tribute to Mondrian would be rather dence on your behalf for obvious reasons.
I would argue that the word 'tribute' implies a certain amount of respect for the subject, but it appears that Mr Brainwash has zero respect for the work of Mondrian - and I think it would be rather dense of anyone to argue otherwise, considering the image is of a Mondrian that has been shat upon. Not the most subtle of messages.
Last edited by RupertPupkin on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
this aggression will not stand, man.
postartproductions
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:22 pm

comountaingolf wrote:we'll see what happens to MBW after he gets laughed out of the NYC after his show :lol:
He did sell out of every piece at his Opera Gallery show in NYC.

People hated Mondrian and said "Anyone can do that!" and "That's not art... it's just a bunch of lines". Same for Warhol and his Soup Cans and Brillo Boxes. Same for Pollock and his drips. MBW slashing paint splatters are no different than these artists expressions. My beef with Brainwash is he uses others work as his crutch when he can produce smarter, more satrical pieces like Tony Montana, Jimi, and Elvis, among others. Though these examples use celebrity to prop him up, it's not his use of pop culture that bothers me. I wish he'd hone in on one style and medium more but I think he doesn't want to be defined and like Banksy in his own solo exhibitions, MBW combines theater, installation, sculpture, video, screen printing and painting.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:28 pm

dasmitty11 wrote:did any of the eb brain trust stop to think that maybe he planned to release these prints, haiti happened, and he decided to donate a little?
What's to think about? I thought that was obvious...
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm

postartproductions wrote:My beef with Brainwash is he uses others work as his crutch when he can produce smarter, more satrical pieces like Tony Montana, Jimi, and Elvis, among others.
I agree that those pieces are better than the ones where he just uses the work of others. They are boring though. But to compare this chancer's work with that of Warhol, Mondrian, Pollock et al is absurd. They were all innovators. Brainwash's work is frequently derivative.
postartproductions wrote:I think he doesn't want to be defined and like Banksy in his own solo exhibitions, MBW combines theater, installation, sculpture, video, screen printing and painting.
I'm no great fan of Banksy, although I enjoy some of his work, but Brainwash doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. His work doesn't say anything beyond "look at me". Perhaps "pay me".
this aggression will not stand, man.