Guiding Light 10 McCarthy

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 am

Classic. A foreboding story told in a placid fashion.
coleslaw
Art Expert

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 am

Dark, but I like this one...reminds me of a variety of Dan's past prints, let's see...
"The Woods" meets "IFGTBL2" meets "In the Pines" meets "WYWSleeping"...it's the child of what would happen if those four prints hooked up a four-way and had a baby or something...lol
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
dol3
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 am

Would like to see the foreground snow to have the same effect as the rain in "The Rain Had a Sound" or "under the bridge" Would look cool against that dark background.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 am

Reminds me of London's "To Build a Fire" that I read as a kid. I'm buyin'.
heavyconsumer
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:27 am

Love this image. Nice size too. Great work Dan!
abe
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:46 am

alwaysalx wrote:really? :crazy:
freaksmeout wrote:I agree. Not a good pairing. Only colors in common.
Spoz I should have thrown an 'IMHO' or 2cents in there.
Both scenes have a pack of wolves and the greyscale in common. In contrast, the figure in McCarthy's appears holding a small light in a natural environment pursued by the wolves, while in Danger's figure looms over an urban scene pursuing the wolves under the large moon. Some similarity and contrast between them. Guess that's not enough to tie them together for everyone.
To each their own. :pint:
Long Live THC

:cheers:
dancingbear
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:45 am

heard this on the radio today...a good song by the avett brothers , while thinking of the print ( i thhink of art WAY too much)

"There's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light
In the fine print they tell me what's wrong and what's right
And it comes in black and it comes in white
And I'm frightened by those who don't see it" song -head full of doubt
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:24 am

I like this very much.
werdelmannpj
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:41 am

middayshadows wrote:I like this very much.
So do I.
All the sweetest winds they blow across the south...
docholidayisback
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:11 am

Also reminds me of Dangers Toru Okada
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 am

all of Dan's jpegs look dark. I'll bet this isn't nearlly as dark as everyone thinks.
coleslaw
Art Expert

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 am

I suspect this jpeg will be similiar to the dark jpegs of "In The Pines" and "He Left Yesterday Behind Him" _Benjammin, which were not as dark in person for sure. I'd like to see a lighter jpeg of it though, honestly.
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
Patillac13
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:40 am

freaksmeout wrote:4 color screen. Is the 4th color the lantern? Is it GID?
I think the lantern might be the paper showing through...
I see two different colors in the ground/snow, one lighter color for all the falling snow and one last color for the trees wolves and person.
iano-beano
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 pm

_benjammin wrote:all of Dan's jpegs look dark. I'll bet this isn't nearlly as dark as everyone thinks.
coleslaw wrote:I suspect this jpeg will be similiar to the dark jpegs of "In The Pines" and "He Left Yesterday Behind Him" _Benjammin, which were not as dark in person for sure. I'd like to see a lighter jpeg of it though, honestly.
On my crappy ol' monitor this looks totally black with a wee dot of white in bottom right corner.
If I save the pic and brighten it 100% I start to see what's going on...
10_01_04_guiding_light_brtnd100.JPG
Very nice looking print, think this will slay in person. :clap:
“Take away the right to say 'drymount' and you take away the right to say 'drymount the government.' ”
coleslaw
Art Expert

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Wow, that looks really nice, looks a lot better when I can see what's going on more, thanks for the light, I think this will be very nice in person compared to the .jpeg file.