Hendrix Experience John Mayall San Francisco 68 Griffin

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
SingingCowboy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:59 pm

mistersmith
Art Freak

Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 pm

SingingCowboy wrote:
fredo wrote:Well, for one- it looks awesome. No idea why anyone but an investor cares (too much) about condition on those oldies. They're like jeans - better when battered some.

And two- I hope an expert shows up and helps.
I agree. Older items in pristine condition are certainly visually appealing and merit higher value, but theres something intriguing about the unknown life of a work of art and where and by whom they were enjoyed. The little I know about this poster is that it hung in a San Francisco record store (hence the glue stains and condition of the back).
I guarantee I know which poster that is! I'd been wanting (in the "never would do it" sense) to liberate it for years - I guess you got it. I've been posting about this poster for 8 years!

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... za#p324123

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... za#p324125

It wasn't actually in a record store. It was in the pizza shop next door, in the basement dining room. There were a lot of vintage Fillmore posters down there, including this one, the Pink Floyd "pigs over the Golden Gate bridge" poster, others I won't remember.

The pizza shop was at the bottom of Powell Street, near the cable car turnaround. It was right next door to a Rasputin Records, but not connected. Here's an article about the shop closing, you can see Rasputin in the main photo:

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San ... 454100.php

I hope that print is real and not a copy, and I hope it ended up with a real collector. It was in a shitty frame, screwed into the wall with Phillips head screws, and splattered with grease and pizza sauce. Like I said, I wanted to go down there with my drill in my bag and pop it off the wall and duck out, nobody ever would have known. It was neglected - here's hoping it's been properly adopted :)

Edit: looked on Yelp and Foursquare for pics, only found this shot that had a Carlos Mencia Warfield poster in it...

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto ... 6a_A/o.jpg
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Cowboy,

If you’re in the Bay Area there are a lot of people who can help you verify its authenticity. I love these aged posters. The damned things have a 50 year old vintage and I think the aging/pitina gives them a “romantic” quality! Several names of folks that can help you would be Rusty Goldman/Professor Poster, Eric King, D. King Gallery in Berkeley and Kris Mikkelson, who is also in Berkeley. All are very approachable. Worst case, come to TRPS at the Hall of Flowers at Golden Gate Park 9 weeks from today—10/20.

Happy to help if you want to PM me.

Hoping it’s the real deal!

Cheers...

Fro
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
SingingCowboy

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Mistersmith ...
Thats wild story you tell. Thats much more detail than I would have ever expected to know about this poster. I’m just curious why you think this is the same one? There aren’t many distinguishing markings on the front that would make it stand out. Also was this pizza place around since the 60s? Were these posters in there since the shows? I feel like a detective at this point. If it was in a frame down there, that wouldn’t explain the glue on the back. Unless it’s from actually being used to promote the show and posted on a wall somewhere in town.
Awesome thanks for the info. I guess I really came to the right place!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 pm

The glue on the back is probably from the bad frame job and not from promo display. If you were told the poster was in a record store, the same guy (Ken) owned both Rasputin Records and Blondie's Pizza. And how many of these posters can possibly have been on display anywhere anymore, and the timing is too perfect.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm

But how was the pizza?
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 pm

ISO pizza variants
That's what she said
rockbridge
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 am

talkingdeads wrote:But how was the pizza?
I used to love Blondie's....Went there every summer as a kid when visiting my grandparents in San Fran.....Was my first introduction to giant NY Style foldable slices :D
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Just framed up the SS today :D

gordo55
Art Expert

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:08 pm

:clap:
THC
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Good stuff!
automator
Nobody

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:59 pm

New image RP-2

automator
Nobody

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:59 pm

New image RP-2

AP104
Art Enthusiast

Wed May 05, 2021 1:35 am

Hi,

There’s been a recent sale of the RP-2 and I’m unable to post it. I tried a few times.

Can an admin add this to the sales history?
5/2/21 sold for $4750 on Heritage Auctions.

Thank you!

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/music- ... 38-89225.s

gordo55
Art Expert

Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 pm

:pint: :clap: :clap: 8)
THC