Oh Deary Me, Here Comes the Destroyer 09 Millward

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:20 am

kyle
Art Expert

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:21 am

ruling
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
layla1234
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

not loving the colors, but the illustration slays. im sure seeing a real copy would change that too. the banner is a nice touch too.
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 pm

was expecting to buy the 'bon iver' version (sold out) but, like the 'tallest man on earth' print by drew, i am MORE than happy that there was an art print version available and i think this one may be my favourite drew print yet

keep 'em coming mr. millward (and thanks mr. mcnail for putting them up)
automator
Nobody

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:27 pm

New image Oh Deary Me, Here Comes the Destroyer 09 Millward
Blue

mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Want me to talk some serious art nerd bullshit about this print? Some totally made up nonsense that would make for an A paper in college, but would probably make Drew think I'm a clown? Well here we go...

Drew's from England, right, and this poster is his comment that America, allegedly the greatest nation on Earth, has squandered its promise. And that it needs to burn!

See, first you have the farmhouse. This is a symbol of hard work, a touchstone to the American pastoral tradition, the concept that this nation finds its beauty in hard work, cohabitation with the land, and all that stuff. But the chair is empty: the farmer is gone. So the ideal is abandoned. Which correlates to America today, where everyone finds beauty in celebrities and reality TV and, in terms of industry, we don't really make or do anything here in America. So what is America then, but a broken status quo, a land of evils and abuses...another Babylon, if you will. And Babylon must fall.

So how's it going to fall? To figure this out, you have to look to the one tradition shared between England and America, the one thing they've had in common from the colonies to today: Christianity. And what did God have to say about Babylon? Check the Bible, kids, emphasis mine:

"I will stir up the spirit of a destroyer against Babylon...to devastate her land. Do not spare her young men; completely destroy her army. They will fall down slain in Babylon, fatally wounded in her streets. Flee from Babylon! Run for your lives! Do not be destroyed because of her sins. It is time for the Lord's vengeance; he will pay her what she deserves. Babylon was a gold cup in the Lord's hand; she made the whole earth drunk. The nations drank her wine; therefore they have now gone mad. Babylon will suddenly fall and be broken." (Jeremiah 51:1-8).

...but wait, there's more...

"The sound of a cry comes from Babylon, the sound of great destruction from the land of the Babylonians. The LORD will destroy Babylon; he will silence her noisy din. A destroyer will come against Babylon; her warriors will be captured, and their bows will be broken. For the LORD is a God of retribution; he will repay in full. ... This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Babylon's thick wall will be leveled and her high gates set on fire; the peoples exhaust themselves for nothing, the nations' labor is only fuel for the flames." (Jeremiah 51:54-58)

Check out the third sentence of the second quote: "A destoyer will come..." And what's the print title? That's right..."Oh Deary Me, Here Comes the Destroyer." The second part of the title directly connecting to the scripture, and the first part invoking some good old fashioned rural American folksiness and naivete. The kind of sentiment someone sitting in a chair in a farm field would utter.

See, I just pulled all of that out of my ass. This is why I cannot be trusted.

Back to reality: this print is so awesome, the blue version is going to get framed eventually, I promise, and put up where I work. It rules.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
kyle
Art Expert

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:24 pm

lovely smithiggans !

...but Jeremiah is old testament and referring to the historical Babylon which fell long ago.

i think the future-tense Babylon is new testament mumbo-jumbo.
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Babylon is used in modern times as metaphor, for anything that exists in a bad state and is doomed to fall. I applied it to America here, but it's used all over, particularly in Jamaican culture. The messed-up status quo, the failed system, the false glory, it's Babylon. That's precisely why my Jamaican friend Sean called his all-things-revolution bookstore "Babylon Falling." When the revolution succeeds, Babylon will have fallen. It's why in Jamaica, the phrase "Babylon go down" is kind of a catch-all for "keep your head up and keep the struggle alive" and all that.

But, again, I want to stress, I pulled all of this out of my ass in the first place. Never trust an art critic. I totally hope Drew show up and says I'm completely full of fudge.

I should be out writing artist statements and making galleries rich.
kyle
Art Expert

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:22 pm

right on. i met some very cool rastafari folk when i was in St. Croix who told me about their beliefs. a lot of the stuff i was familiar with, but some was new and very interesting. for instance, they believe white people are from Madagascar.

i realize you basically stamped a disclaimer on your analysis as being casual, but i still thought i would comment. the quotes you used from the book of Jeremiah are specifically referring to the real, historical Babylon, rather than the concept of a "Babylon" you are alluding to.

Historical Babylon = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon

concept of "Babylon" = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_(New_Testament)

still very cool to hear your interpretation of the art. :)

guess who scored the ink for this one. :twisted:
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:49 pm

First, you got the ink? You bastard. Well played.

Second, sure, there was a real Bablyon, and a conceptualized Babylon, but I'm using the idea of the "Destroyer" to bridge the two, that's all.
titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:28 pm

ugh, i need a millward ink and you guys are hogging them all. :P
post pics of that when you get it!
kyle
Art Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:31 pm

titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm

ugh, I dont know how you do it.
that one is awesome, definitely top 3 millward inks, if not number 1.