Sketching: The Animal Kingdom 09 McCarthy

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
User avatar
KNEEL13
EB Team
Posts: 7901
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Chicago area

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:51 pm

I'll take a Kakapo on mine. :D

User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:13 am

um, this isn't too tricky a concept: Dan is making a limited number of prints ( for club members only) that include, as part of the print, an arrow line, and bubble in lower right corner. The bubble is printed blank. On this area of each and every print, he will draw a sketch of a different random animal. hence the title of the print. (the idea is that the little sketch he draws in the bubble is a close up of the animal that is silhouetted in the window).

this is an awesome idea. every owner of one of these prints will have a hand-drawn illustration by Dan. doesn't get much more personal and individualized than that! i was already going to renew my sub, but hearing about this made it a no-brainer.
Last edited by middayshadows on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
econley
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:52 pm

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:55 am

middayshadows wrote:Dan is making a limited number of prints ( for club members only)...
How many exactly is he making? Would be nice if, for once in his life, he set the actualy number beforehand.
middayshadows wrote:i was already going to renew my sub, but hearing about this made it a no-brainer.

Really? Dan's editions are 550 and over now, and his ap's are over 60 which seems ridiculous in and of itself (obey doesn't even issue that many). Why get any sub from him when you can buy the few prints you see before you purchase them that are worthwhile of your money easily from his site and get the other 8-10 less than amazing prints under cost from ebay and these boards if you so wish for less overall? If you answered a tiny doodle of a random animal, you proved me wrong. If you're smart enough to realize people will be shopping their prints involving animals they don't enjoy that you can pick up fairly cheap and of an animal you possibly might enjoy, you're the real winners. I stopped being a sub holder after the 06/07 sub because he jacked the amount of prints up so much that I didn't need to be sitting by my computer every first few days of the month to score one. The monetary dynamics of a mccarthy print from release to a year later would be wonderful material for any finance or business major to use in a project. Especially a case study on supply and immediate demand, with long term demand (or lack thereof) based overall on image desirability (make sure you thank me in the introduction).

Yes I'm a giant "hater" but I still have common sense. Thanks to flippers, we baby a lot of artists that are no longer deserving. Forsman should be the one who's really mad, McCarthy killed the value of his prints by killing the secondary market on his own. I personally wish McCarthy took a year off of the sub and tried to sell out all his prints to those who had seen them before clicking the paypal button, it would be a much needed wakeup call. Sorry to drag your name into this Mark, I own almost every print you released and they're amazing in person.

I love talent but it seems to be misused most of the time.
User avatar
marshhouse
Art Expert
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Almost Heaven

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:05 am

econley wrote: Forsman should be the one who's really mad, McCarthy killed the value of his prints by killing the secondary market on his own.
Please explain this statement.
Bacon is love.
User avatar
clem99
EB Team
Posts: 35245
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Radelaide, Australia
Contact:

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:16 am

KNEEL13 wrote:I'll take a Kakapo on mine. :D

kneel13, i sincerely hope dan will read and see this and you get your wish, thanks for sharing, funny as :lol:
art is the only justification for pain :)
User avatar
bysleightofhand
Art Expert
Posts: 3800
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: CT

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:20 am

econley wrote: Yes I'm a giant "hater" but I still have common sense. Thanks to flippers, we baby a lot of artists that are no longer deserving. Forsman should be the one who's really mad, McCarthy killed the value of his prints by killing the secondary market on his own. I personally wish McCarthy took a year off of the sub and tried to sell out all his prints to those who had seen them before clicking the paypal button, it would be a much needed wakeup call. Sorry to drag your name into this Mark, I own almost every print you released and they're amazing in person.

I love talent but it seems to be misused most of the time.

Sorry, but how do flippers affect McCarthy? Unless you're selling some 05, 06, 07 there really isn't much to be flipped. I hardly think McCarthy gained admiration through flippers, even back then. And as somebody else said, what did McCarthy do to Forsman? I don't get why the 2 must be compared all the time. One is an established artist, the other an art student trying to get his feet wet and make a few $. I think both are great, but I don't see the comparison or see how McCarthy hurts Mark's sales. If anything, I think you'll find a lot of Mark's fans are McCarthy fans, so Mark could thank Dan for creating a market? Mark has such limited runs that I'm sure he could probably ask for more and still sell out. But I honestly don't think Mark has any intention of increasing the runs or the cost anytime soon. He intentionally keeps his stuff affordable for fellow collectors and low in run count so he can still manage being a full time student.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
User avatar
jojobadass
Art Freak
Posts: 19930
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:00 am
Location: chick-fila
Contact:

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 am

who gives a fudge about forsman?
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

and for everything else under the sun; including fine art, art prints, toys and other junk....be sure to check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosfineart.com
MrazAttacks
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:35 am

econley wrote: Really? Dan's editions are 550 and over now, and his ap's are over 60 which seems ridiculous in and of itself (obey doesn't even issue that many). Why get any sub from him when you can buy the few prints you see before you purchase them that are worthwhile of your money easily from his site and get the other 8-10 less than amazing prints under cost from ebay and these boards if you so wish for less overall? If you answered a tiny doodle of a random animal, you proved me wrong. If you're smart enough to realize people will be shopping their prints involving animals they don't enjoy that you can pick up fairly cheap and of an animal you possibly might enjoy, you're the real winners. I stopped being a sub holder after the 06/07 sub because he jacked the amount of prints up so much that I didn't need to be sitting by my computer every first few days of the month to score one. The monetary dynamics of a mccarthy print from release to a year later would be wonderful material for any finance or business major to use in a project. Especially a case study on supply and immediate demand, with long term demand (or lack thereof) based overall on image desirability (make sure you thank me in the introduction).

Yes I'm a giant "hater" but I still have common sense. Thanks to flippers, we baby a lot of artists that are no longer deserving. Forsman should be the one who's really mad, McCarthy killed the value of his prints by killing the secondary market on his own. I personally wish McCarthy took a year off of the sub and tried to sell out all his prints to those who had seen them before clicking the paypal button, it would be a much needed wakeup call. Sorry to drag your name into this Mark, I own almost every print you released and they're amazing in person.

I love talent but it seems to be misused most of the time.
Have you done the math on the sub? If you have it you're already paying over $13/print less than you would if you bought them each month($350/13=$26.92), and you get the bonus print. 08/09 was my first sub year, and i was a bit apprehensive, but i dont think there was 1 print this year that really dissapointed, obviously some were better than others, but overall a strong year.

Dan is one of my favorite artists, personally i like knowing that each print he does will just show up at my house without me even thinking about it. Also eliminates the possibility of me not having the $$$ when each new print comes out.

I guess since you stopped your subscription when he increased his print runs it means you were never really in it for the art itself to begin with...
User avatar
jojobadass
Art Freak
Posts: 19930
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:00 am
Location: chick-fila
Contact:

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:55 am

the bonus print is normally worth 1/2 the price of the sub.

that guy is a total donko.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

and for everything else under the sun; including fine art, art prints, toys and other junk....be sure to check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosfineart.com
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:59 am

econley wrote:Yes I'm a giant "hater" but I just have no common sense.
you don't need to stress that, we already know.
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:54 pm

econley wrote:
middayshadows wrote:Dan is making a limited number of prints ( for club members only)...
How many exactly is he making? Would be nice if, for once in his life, he set the actualy number beforehand.
middayshadows wrote:i was already going to renew my sub, but hearing about this made it a no-brainer.

Really? Dan's editions are 550 and over now, and his ap's are over 60 which seems ridiculous in and of itself (obey doesn't even issue that many). Why get any sub from him when you can buy the few prints you see before you purchase them that are worthwhile of your money easily from his site and get the other 8-10 less than amazing prints under cost from ebay and these boards if you so wish for less overall? If you answered a tiny doodle of a random animal, you proved me wrong. If you're smart enough to realize people will be shopping their prints involving animals they don't enjoy that you can pick up fairly cheap and of an animal you possibly might enjoy, you're the real winners. I stopped being a sub holder after the 06/07 sub because he jacked the amount of prints up so much that I didn't need to be sitting by my computer every first few days of the month to score one. The monetary dynamics of a mccarthy print from release to a year later would be wonderful material for any finance or business major to use in a project. Especially a case study on supply and immediate demand, with long term demand (or lack thereof) based overall on image desirability (make sure you thank me in the introduction).

Yes I'm a giant "hater" but I still have common sense. Thanks to flippers, we baby a lot of artists that are no longer deserving. Forsman should be the one who's really mad, McCarthy killed the value of his prints by killing the secondary market on his own. I personally wish McCarthy took a year off of the sub and tried to sell out all his prints to those who had seen them before clicking the paypal button, it would be a much needed wakeup call. Sorry to drag your name into this Mark, I own almost every print you released and they're amazing in person.

I love talent but it seems to be misused most of the time.

Thanks for the (entirely unsolicited) economics lesson. Previous post-ers have debunked your faulty statements regarding the 'monetary dynamics' of participating. It begs the question though:

Where in my post did I mention anything at all about the economics of Dan's sub??? The answer: nowhere.

If the only thing that your mind can process when considering joining the club again is $$$, and not the artwork itself, then it's best for all you don't participate.
Image
User avatar
twiztid_nl
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:00 am

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

I would like a helmeted bird!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tetra Hydro Cannabinol
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52605
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 pm

jojobadass wrote:who gives a fudge about forsman or mccarthy?
Fixed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
pewter14
EB Team
Posts: 15306
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:58 am

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:04 pm

jojobadass wrote:who gives a fudge about econley?
fixed.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm

jojobadass wrote:who gives a fudge about art?
fixed.
Image
Post Reply