Dead Man 09 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:01 am

I'd call it a top ten Horkey IMHO. Love the color.

ALthough I should prolly see some close ups of that rendering before making a judgement.
mcnail
Art Expert

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:29 am

timothyripley wrote:I'd call it a top ten Horkey IMHO. Love the color.

ALthough I should prolly see some close ups of that rendering before making a judgement.
KNEEL13
EB Team

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:46 am

Stunningly beautiful! :drool: The painting inside the scroll work is incredible. :notworthy:
birdwell
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 am

Since the print is a giclee I am assuming that the original is either an acrylic painting or some kind of watercolor from the look of it. Is there any info on this ?
Also , the movie Dead Man came out in around 1996. Is this poster for some kind of re-release ? Was it produced just for a re-screening of the movie ?

The illustration inside the scroll does somehow capture the mood of the movie without using any of the movies key figures.
Horkey is able to rely on his own familiar elements... the Horkey tree, the headless dear, to illustrate another concept.

The dear having a rose for a head is completely arbitrary in context, but who cares when the work is this good. ?
Last edited by birdwell on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainbows & Butterflies
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:00 am

mcnail wrote:
timothyripley wrote:I'd call it a top ten Horkey IMHO. Love the color.

ask and ye shall receive

top notch rendering, this is the first time I've seen this kind of brushwork from Horkey.

from the looks of it, he's done a good deal of painting I haven't seen.
birdwell
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:05 am

I'm curious to know the medium. Acrylic I assume ... ?
Rainbows & Butterflies
Vigilant
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:49 am

first, quick question:

Where can I get one?

second, Horkey just took it to a completely different level :drool: :pint: :drool: :pint: :drool: :pint: :drool: :pint: :drool:
twiztid_nl
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:10 am

Vigilant wrote:first, quick question:

Where can I get one?

second, Horkey just took it to a completely different level :drool: :pint: :drool: :pint: :drool: :pint: :drool: :pint: :drool:
http://deadartspublishing.com/

and yes he did
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tetra Hydro Cannabinol
stoffel
Art Expert

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:35 am

birdwell wrote:Since the print is a giclee I am assuming that the original is either an acrylic painting or some kind of watercolor from the look of it. Is there any info on this ?
Also , the movie Dead Man came out in around 1996. Is this poster for some kind of re-release ? Was it produced just for a re-screening of the movie ?

The illustration inside the scroll does somehow capture the mood of the movie without using any of the movies key figures.
Horkey is able to rely on his own familiar elements... the Horkey tree, the headless dear, to illustrate another concept.

The dear having a rose for a head is completely arbitrary in context, but who cares when the work is this good. ?
its for the screening at the alamo drafthouse, they have been putting some awesome posters out over the years for their screenings
i apologize to anyone who fought a grizzly bear to make it to a computer. i appreciate the support.
kushmeja
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:41 am

You are correct about it being for the screening at the Alamo Draft House. There are also picks up somewhere of the different stages, forgot where I saw them.
Catarax
Art Expert

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:43 am

i hope Horkey starts putting out giclee art prints..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
johnr1311
Art Expert

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:46 am

kyle wrote:*sheer astonishment and happiness and anticipation*
Your avatar is hilarious!
dangerboy wrote:i think he thinks we think more about what he thinks than we actually think of what he thinks
cyadude
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Killer Job!!!! Open the flat file drawer :clap: :clap:
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:47 pm

I try to avoid posting negative comments, especially about a print I have not seen in person, but I figure with all the raging enthusiasm for this print, it might be good to stir the pot a bit.

Firstly--I am definitely NOT a fan of giclees--though I understand this is apparently necessary to bring out the details of this print,

Which leads me to my major impression--this reminds me of the sort of art/furniture that would be in a European Palace (?Second Empire style)--as much detail and gold gilt as can be achieved. More is not always better.
iratasan
Flipper

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:07 pm

i could not disagree more. this is flawless. composition, lettering, colour choice, execution. perfect.