Phish Boston 09 Duval

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
stonewastheproblem
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 pm

nm
soam24
Art Freak

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:58 pm

Just got back from fenway. Got in line super early and love the print. Our vendor said 2 per person. i only bought 1.. but i seriously saw someone carrying 10 prints. i guess a couple vendors said 'you can buy as many as you want' so people were pissed.

Hopefully people don't by them from those rats off ebay and they eat their money (or get face back).
lazk
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:18 pm

lol....

I was just trying to purchase ONE poster. You publicly stated that you had 15 of these for sale. So how am I hurting you? I was just giving you a little bit of advise.

I have sold a few posters/prints in my lifetime. This allows me to have money to purchase future poster/prints that I might like down the road. I KNOW this is a crazy concept. The secret is out of the bag. I do not recall ever going to a show and buying 15 of a single print. Let me explain how I would flip this particular poster IF I had a quantity of 15 units. IF the run size is large, then it is probably best to sell it as soon as it drops OR as soon as the show is over. If I had a quantity of 15 posters, I would try to maximize my profits by selling MORE for LESS. I would try to sell the units at a 25% markup and move them as fast as I could. Trying to double my profits is a little greedy when attempting to sell a quantity of 15. Time is not on my side. When dealing with gig posters, it is all about time management. The profit margins USUALLY decrease by the hour. I would rather move all 15 posters at a lower markup, than find myself stuck with a handful of posters that I would be forced to sell at cost to retrieve my initial investment. It is all about Supply & Demand.

Would you rather sell 15 posters at a 25% profit

OR

sell 6 posters at a 50% profit and stuck selling the remainder at what price???

IF I was indeed in the business of flipping, it would seem better to move all 15 units and take the investment to your next "flip" opportunity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOWEVER- I have never had 15 duplicate posters from the same event. My advise might suck. If so, sorry!
T.K.C.
soam24
Art Freak

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 pm

yeah i was offered a hundred multiple times for it... whats the point in buying it to sell it right away..

although, i could have bought two, sold one for the 100 and got mine for free.. :drool:
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Pollock's t-shirt design was 100000x better than that poster :clap:
Id rather pay for someones extra shirt than for that thing, NOTHING what I was hoping for with such an epic show.
recycler
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

s_k_y wrote:
naduval wrote: cool to hear they went so quickly, even if if was just the flippers grabbing 20 at a time.
not really sure why you would think that's cool... :?
there seriously needs to be a cash emoticon...a green dollar symbol that's bouncing around (sorry nate, but what else could you infer with a statement like that?)
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:53 pm

i despise everything phish related, except for this. Nice work Nate!
naduval
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:04 pm

s_k_y wrote:
naduval wrote: cool to hear they went so quickly, even if if was just the flippers grabbing 20 at a time.

I don't know why I even bother posting on this site, but I just got home from a 9 hour drive and am feeling like I need to "defend" myself again. Plus, I sat in standstill traffic for 2 hours on the Saw MIll Parkway so I will gladly argue on the internet for a little bit :)

Once again, I am looking at this stuff from a completely different point of view than ANY of you on this site, which seems to a be a pretty common theme for me these days...

While my job is really great, and often times super fun, I do not do it for "fun." Making prints and band merchandise is a large portion of my JOB. Like anyone else, I take my job very seriously, and at the end of the day, being retail oriented, it is very much so "about the money" in a certain sense.

So when I say "cool to hear they went so quickly, even if if was just the flippers grabbing 20 at a time." it doesn't mean "f the fans / collectors" like some of you all seem to be taking this as, but instead, it is from this point of view:

Phish is a great client. The kind of cliet you dream of having. The kind of client that makes you get into something like making rock posters in the first place.

After the few weeks of drawing, getting concepts and art approved,and the editioning, printing and shipping is done, it's a great feeling to get email from their managment saying that "the poster was a huge hit and it sold out in under an hour."

And for me (an artist working with a dream client) selling out nearly 1000 posters in under an hour for $50 a piece means my job was a completed very successfully, and that I have done all that I can to hopefully keep the door open for more work together down the road.

You must realize the band (nor me, really) cannot be too concerned about what happens to the posters on ebay after they are purchased at the show or online from me. If someone did actually buy 20 posters at the show, it means they spent $1000 on them, so by all means, sell some on ebay if you want, because a grand is a grand, and this is business.

And as heather_honey picked up on, I am not allowing "free reign" to buy as many as you please from me, because I am hoping it will at least maybe allow the folks who missed out on one at the show, or truly like the print and want to hang it a chance to grab one at a price that is fair.

So some of you folks who wish that Pollock did this print (I too hope he does a bunch this summer), or think it looks like a shitty Rob Jones rip-off, please know that I respect your opinion, but obviously disagree. As did the entire band, their management and hundreds of people at the show.

The fact of the matter is, even the 50 prints I have myself to sell, will probably go pretty quick, and folks who truly just want the print to hang on their walls will still miss out. And as a collector myself, of course this saddens me, as I feel their pain.

I am hitting the Hartford show, and like many of you, hope pollock did that print myself, but if he did not, I have much better things to do than to post on the internet about how "weak sauce" the official print that night was. ha.

@gvonmetz I hear ya, bud. While this may not have been my FIRST choice for what I would have liked to do for this poster, it fit perfectly with the design brief I was given, and I am still very pleased with how it turned out.

Anyway, I'll have about 50 of these for sale tomorrow for the couple of you who don't seem to find this print to be as blasphemous as the rest seem to do and try to remember, that it's only ink on paper, it doesn't have to be so SERIOUS. :D
naduval
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm

also, a couple of notes on the production side, these prints are SIGNED and numbered, not just numbered. They were also printed by D&L.

K, I'm out of here. Later, dudes.
lazk
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Mr. Daniel says he owns Phish Summer Tour Posters...

I guess he means he is ripping them off once again this summer. Congrats Mr. Daniel

JET SET FOREVER...

P.S.- Mr. Daniel- Please e-mail once the prints start selling because I know you will hold hundreds back and sell to mass amount of Flippers....

The dude has no shame in making a dollar.
T.K.C.
Flimby

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:20 pm

naduval wrote:try to remember, that it's only ink on paper, it doesn't have to be so SERIOUS. :D
amen.
congrats on the success of this print and exposing more people to your work. :cheers:
AceO
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 pm

naduval wrote:
s_k_y wrote:

I don't know why I even bother posting on this site, but I just got home from a 9 hour drive and am feeling like I need to "defend" myself again. Plus, I sat in standstill traffic for 2 hours on the Saw MIll Parkway so I will gladly argue on the internet for a little bit :)

Once again, I am looking at this stuff from a completely different point of view than ANY of you on this site, which seems to a be a pretty common theme for me these days...

While my job is really great, and often times super fun, I do not do it for "fun." Making prints and band merchandise is a large portion of my JOB. Like anyone else, I take my job very seriously, and at the end of the day, being retail oriented, it is very much so "about the money" in a certain sense.

So when I say "cool to hear they went so quickly, even if if was just the flippers grabbing 20 at a time." it doesn't mean "f the fans / collectors" like some of you all seem to be taking this as, but instead, it is from this point of view:

Phish is a great client. The kind of cliet you dream of having. The kind of client that makes you get into something like making rock posters in the first place.

After the few weeks of drawing, getting concepts and art approved,and the editioning, printing and shipping is done, it's a great feeling to get email from their managment saying that "the poster was a huge hit and it sold out in under an hour."

And for me (an artist working with a dream client) selling out nearly 1000 posters in under an hour for $50 a piece means my job was a completed very successfully, and that I have done all that I can to hopefully keep the door open for more work together down the road.

You must realize the band (nor me, really) cannot be too concerned about what happens to the posters on ebay after they are purchased at the show or online from me. If someone did actually buy 20 posters at the show, it means they spent $1000 on them, so by all means, sell some on ebay if you want, because a grand is a grand, and this is business.

And as heather_honey picked up on, I am not allowing "free reign" to buy as many as you please from me, because I am hoping it will at least maybe allow the folks who missed out on one at the show, or truly like the print and want to hang it a chance to grab one at a price that is fair.

So some of you folks who wish that Pollock did this print (I too hope he does a bunch this summer), or think it looks like a shitty Rob Jones rip-off, please know that I respect your opinion, but obviously disagree. As did the entire band, their management and hundreds of people at the show.

The fact of the matter is, even the 50 prints I have myself to sell, will probably go pretty quick, and folks who truly just want the print to hang on their walls will still miss out. And as a collector myself, of course this saddens me, as I feel their pain.

I am hitting the Hartford show, and like many of you, hope pollock did that print myself, but if he did not, I have much better things to do than to post on the internet about how "weak sauce" the official print that night was. ha.

@gvonmetz I hear ya, bud. While this may not have been my FIRST choice for what I would have liked to do for this poster, it fit perfectly with the design brief I was given, and I am still very pleased with how it turned out.

Anyway, I'll have about 50 of these for sale tomorrow for the couple of you who don't seem to find this print to be as blasphemous as the rest seem to do and try to remember, that it's only ink on paper, it doesn't have to be so SERIOUS. :D

Well said!
s_k_y
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Flimby wrote:
naduval wrote:try to remember, that it's only ink on paper, it doesn't have to be so SERIOUS. :D
amen.
congrats on the success of this print and exposing more people to your work. :cheers:

agreed, your post was insightful nate; thanks for dropping by and putting that...especially after your long drive. :D
carljwiii
Art Expert

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Phish + phenway = groovy awesomeness

Redsox still suck! Big Poppie = BIG POOPIE

GO YANKS! Go Wade Boggs! :clap:
I am a Rhinoceros and my skin is 2 feet thick
stonewastheproblem
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am

naduval wrote:
s_k_y wrote:

word