Phish Wantagh 09 Masthay

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody
Posts: 131171
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 am

Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Phish Wantagh 09 Masthay

Image
des2002
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Happy to have snagged one of these...nice work AJ!
labonte
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:00 am

Fri May 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Got mine too! Great work AJ!!
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 18165
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 pm

also...a cool idea for a way to sneak into the show?

Nice job AJ!
kevflaherty
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Fri May 22, 2009 12:29 pm

Snagged my jones as well

These look sick

Thanks AJ
User avatar
treesis
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Inside my flat file

Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Got this one... cant wait for the shows!
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
Posts: 12342
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Fri May 22, 2009 2:37 pm

let me start by saying this... im not one to bash others opinions, or AJ for that fact, BUT while i think the idea is cool, it seems to me like its to the point where no effort is involved in this print and he is just banging these out now for every show.

i thought about it today and it really annoyed me, thoughts?
Image
User avatar
jnschnei
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:00 am

Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 pm

soam24 wrote:let me start by saying this... im not one to bash others opinions, or AJ for that fact, BUT while i think the idea is cool, it seems to me like its to the point where no effort is involved in this print and he is just banging these out now for every show.

i thought about it today and it really annoyed me, thoughts?
You are definitely entitled to your own opinion, but are you trying to say that just because he has released a print for "every show" (I am only counting 4 so far out of 11 shows this tour) that it makes the process of making a print any easier or less of a collectible as each print stands on its own? It seems like Fairey pukes out a print every other week and people on this site drool over it like it is a piece of gold plated feces. Mmmmmm... gold plated feces. It would be hard for me to believe that if Pollock created a print for every show that you wouldn't take a free pass to the front of every one of the sale lines.

... and that's my opinion.
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:00 am

Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 pm

soam24 wrote:let me start by saying this... im not one to bash others opinions, or AJ for that fact, BUT while i think the idea is cool, it seems to me like its to the point where no effort is involved in this print and he is just banging these out now for every show.

i thought about it today and it really annoyed me, thoughts?
this is not a matter of opinion and you are wrong. aj is only doing 3 prints for the 15 show first leg which is what, 20%? and you certainly must not be aware of the process behind creating a linoleum block print, as it is the most labor intensive method in print making. it is insulting to say that there is "no effort involved in this print"
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
labonte
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:00 am

Fri May 22, 2009 6:20 pm

soam24 wrote:let me start by saying this... im not one to bash others opinions, or AJ for that fact, BUT while i think the idea is cool, it seems to me like its to the point where no effort is involved in this print and he is just banging these out now for every show.

i thought about it today and it really annoyed me, thoughts?
Its hard to imagine that there was no effort involved in a 7 color linoleum block print with this sort of detail...
sj1998
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:00 am

Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 pm

The only negative thing to be said about this absolutely gorgeous piece of art is that he sorta stuck in the 2nd after the other two dates were included, or so it seems. However I find this to be a funny point of irony as Phish did this as well and in my opinion his way of doing the dates fits in my mind. I had planned on seeing the first 4 days of summer shows since they announced the tour. But they went ahead and threw in two more shows im unable to make it to so seeing him throw the 2nd in after the fact is a symbolic gesture in my mind to how phish threw in 2 extra days after all of us had made our plans. Great print glad to pick this up and really cool that he incorporated the water and under sea vibe. Props and thanks for a great piece.
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
Posts: 12342
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Fri May 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Timmytj wrote:
soam24 wrote:let me start by saying this... im not one to bash others opinions, or AJ for that fact, BUT while i think the idea is cool, it seems to me like its to the point where no effort is involved in this print and he is just banging these out now for every show.

i thought about it today and it really annoyed me, thoughts?
this is not a matter of opinion and you are wrong. aj is only doing 3 prints for the 15 show first leg which is what, 20%? and you certainly must not be aware of the process behind creating a linoleum block print, as it is the most labor intensive method in print making. it is insulting to say that there is "no effort involved in this print"


where did u hear he was only doing 3 prints?
Image
User avatar
treesis
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Inside my flat file

Fri May 22, 2009 7:12 pm

sj1998 wrote:The only negative thing to be said about this absolutely gorgeous piece of art is that he sorta stuck in the 2nd after the other two dates were included, or so it seems. However I find this to be a funny point of irony as Phish did this as well and in my opinion his way of doing the dates fits in my mind. I had planned on seeing the first 4 days of summer shows since they announced the tour. But they went ahead and threw in two more shows im unable to make it to so seeing him throw the 2nd in after the fact is a symbolic gesture in my mind to how phish threw in 2 extra days after all of us had made our plans. Great print glad to pick this up and really cool that he incorporated the water and under sea vibe. Props and thanks for a great piece.
I dont think that he could have just added in the 2 w/out some serious reworking... its not like this is a digital print or something. JMO.

I think its great how it incorporates the "Jones Beach" element with the underwater. Like how Fenway had the welder.
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:00 am

Fri May 22, 2009 7:25 pm

soam24 wrote:
Timmytj wrote:
soam24 wrote:let me start by saying this... im not one to bash others opinions, or AJ for that fact, BUT while i think the idea is cool, it seems to me like its to the point where no effort is involved in this print and he is just banging these out now for every show.

i thought about it today and it really annoyed me, thoughts?
this is not a matter of opinion and you are wrong. aj is only doing 3 prints for the 15 show first leg which is what, 20%? and you certainly must not be aware of the process behind creating a linoleum block print, as it is the most labor intensive method in print making. it is insulting to say that there is "no effort involved in this print"


where did u hear he was only doing 3 prints?
from him. he wont have anything new until red rocks MockShow
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
janphish
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Did this sellout yet - wild and crazy to sell lot art on the web before the show!!! - !@#$%^!

I just snagged a fox theater print off of his website for the growing phish collection. I soon may have enough of AJ's prints for a whole wall full of his work - mega cool to collect ... and you don't have to leave home or go to the show, it's in the mail!
Post Reply