Croatoan 06 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:31 am

sell, sell, sell!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 am

sidewaysscott wrote:sell, sell, sell!
?
So it goes...
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 am

mfaith wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:sell, sell, sell!
?
He is referring to the fact that lately everyone has been slashing their prices on croatoan.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:40 am

I see. I mean I've only seen that one dude that keeps lowering it, unless i missed others. Holidays are a hard time to sell anything. Folks are strapped for cash. One dude slashing his price before Christmas is hardly a trend. Lol
So it goes...
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:40 am

been more than one. and i don't really care. just seen a lot of sales on this lately. who knows, perhaps I'll sell mine... :lol: :lol: :lol:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 am

sidewaysscott wrote:been more than one. and i don't really care. just seen a lot of sales on this lately. who knows, perhaps I'll sell mine... :lol: :lol: :lol:
flipper!!!!!
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:15 pm

mfaith wrote:I see. I mean I've only seen that one dude that keeps lowering it, unless i missed others. Holidays are a hard time to sell anything. Folks are strapped for cash. One dude slashing his price before Christmas is hardly a trend. Lol
This happens all the time. Just following the bell curve trend like so many other prints. 180 is a really low number for a print held in such high regard amongst Horkey fans. Once the vast majority of these transfer hands from speculators to collectors, they'll jump back up. There's simply no way this doesn't end up settling in the upper tier of his print releases.

Right now is literally the worst time to be selling this print but I'm sure folks are looking to recoup some cash from their holiday spending.
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:02 pm

I hope to grab one before prices go up. I love this image
whl10
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:HYPE HYPE HYPE
I OWN THIS PRINT SO HYPE HYPE HYPE
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:52 pm

whl10 wrote:
I have this hung on my wall already. At this point, hyping it for monetary speculation purposes really doesn't make much sense for me. Just looking to share the honest truth with people who have been waiting for this to hit it's lowest value before snapping one up.
Particle
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 pm

whl10 wrote:

Nice trolling dawg
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Particle wrote:
whl10 wrote:

Nice trolling dawg
That's all he does around here. Surprised the mods actually allow it, oh well must be numb to it or something.
whl10
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:11 pm

thats not trolling. thats callign it how i see it, or rather: how it is.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Constantly following me around making negative remarks to my posts is indeed the definition of trolling. Oh well, its basically become impossible for many of us on here to take your online persona seriously anyways. Congrats, you've earned it.
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:32 pm

I've been thinking about the background history of the piece that decker added to the discussion. For reference, here it is:
decker3984 wrote:So, a little backstory on the image...

The owner of the painting; Greg (any hopefully neither he nor Aaron minds my saying this)...
Anyway, so Greg... Aaron's former business partner, who handled the business end of DAP,
had commissioned Aaron to do a painting on a slab of sanded / stained (I think) exotic hardwood
from Aaron's Dad's shop, Wood Parts. Aaron has done shirts for his Dad's shop, so that is not a big secret.
Anyway, the wood selected was bubinga. I can't recall if this was Greg's choice or just one of a small handful
of options that he requested. I think there was *some* chance the painting could have ended up on Purple Heart.

Anywho, so Greg commissioned Aaron to do the painting...
And the *original* idea was that the painting would be the central image in a three image panel.
And Aaron being a HUGE comic book fan (see gift cards done for Big Brain Comics) was going to make it a Horkey,
OCD beyond human comprehension or reasoning "comic strip".

So, the images that were going to flank the painting were going to be inks of *before* and *after* what we are seeing in the central panel.
And I am pretty sure Aaron had even gone so far as to take reference photos for said (to my knowledge) completely nonexistent drawings.
There *might* be SUPER rough concept sketches, to map out perspective...

Socks and Baker...

The RACE is on!! :lol:
(love you guys!)

Anyway, so last Aaron described the idea / images to me...

The first (nonexistent) panel was going to be the ray in an exaggerated perspective flying towards the viewer and away from the
dilapidated structure we are seeing to the right of the central image. So, think kind of like the ray on Epoch. Baker you lucky
drymounter. :P Seriously dude... If not *mine*... It could not have gone to a better home! And so I guess you can look at it...
That in a *way* you already have the first ink in the panel. Wow. I think I just blew my own mind! Ha

So, the final panel was going to be the creature perched on the egg dying in the snow, because the ray...
Had poisoned it. So, really the ray does get the last laugh in the "comic strip".

And I know Aaron had pics of a dead vulture lying in snow, that I believe he found while biking...
And since I believe this was PRE iPhone days, I believe he had to call his wife and ask her to bring him
his "camera" (not attached to phone), so he could snap pics before OTHER vultures descended and disrupted
the scene. So there you have it Horkaphiles...

Some Horkey history of what never was.
I would like to make the argument that Aaron completed the triptych. The two pieces that I'd like to suggest to accompany "Croatoan" are "Nesting" and "Eryops Rising." Placed together, it would look something like this (at least in my head and not to scale):
The details in the background of the artwork are what made me decide that they'd link up pretty well. Specifically, the way the clouds are parted. In "Croatoan," the clouds are parted towards the left; in "Nesting," they are parted towards the right; and in "Eryops Rising," only the very edges of the cloud appear to the right and left of the ray, as if its flight/presence/aura parted them. At least from all the JPG's that I've looked at, the clouds in all 3 pieces seem to be drawn in a similar manner and cropping out the borders of the print, the clouds can be lined up to create a whole image. Also, the foliage in the three pieces can be connected in the same order.

Thematically, "Croatoan" and "Nesting" are nice foils of one another as both pieces use similar symbols and imagery: a bird clutching something in its beak and perched on top of a broken vehicle. The compare and contraste between these 2 pieces deserve a separate conversation, so I'll just quickly move on.

I've always been curious as to why the rays are interpreted as malicious, bad, and/or evil because looking through Aaron's portfolio, the rays are rarely shown by themselves and oftenly, they are either dead, in the process of dying, or decaying. It seems like they are a food source for the carnivorous birds. By placing "Eryops Rising" in the middle of the two pieces adds another dimension to the story. The title "Eryops Rising" suggests the arrival, or pending arrival, of a god (or at least an important event). In this case, the Ray God/Leader is coming to power. The triptych becomes a little more political as "Croatoan" and "Nesting" seem to portray two different responses the birds have towards this Ray God. "Croatoan" represents a declaration of war with the killing of a ray; while "Nesting" symbolizes a proclamation of peace with the offering of a leaf--a spin on the dove-with-an-olive-branch image.

I'm actually very curious as to what pieces follow "Eryops Rose" since it is a piece similar to "Eryops Rising," but the Ray God seems to have gotten much bigger (when comparing the elements in the background between the two pieces). It would be cool to see more pieces focused on the rays to accompany "Eryops Rose." Maybe the appearance of the huge ray from the Epoch t-shirt?

Damn. That was pretty fun to write. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Sorry if I posted this comment in the wrong thread!