Croatoan 06 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I do apologize beforehand if this is a bit off topic.

For reference, this is "Christina's World" painted by American painter Andrew Wyeth in 1948.
Some background information...
Wikipedia wrote:The woman in the painting is Anna Christina Olson (3 May 1893–27 January 1968). She is known to have suffered from polio, a muscular deterioration that paralyzed her lower body. Wyeth was inspired to create the painting when he saw her crawling across a field while watching from a window in the house. Wyeth had a summer home in the area and was on friendly terms with Olson, using her and her younger brother as the subjects of paintings from 1940 to 1968. Although Olson was the inspiration and subject of the painting, she was not the primary model — Wyeth's wife Betsy posed as the torso of the painting. Olson was 55 at the time Wyeth created the work.

The house depicted in the painting is known as the Olson House, and is located in Cushing, Maine. It is open to the public, operated by the Farnsworth Art Museum; it is a National Historic Landmark, and has been restored to match its appearance in the painting. In the painting, Wyeth separated the house from its barn and changed the lay of the land.
Without taking too much historical context into consideration (e.g. post-WWII, polio, and Franklin D. Roosevelt), I think talkingdeads brings up a fair point about similarities in imagery and positioning between "Christina's World" and "Croatoan."
talkingdeads wrote:The egg symbolizes fertility and woman. It is on a dilapidated carriage, that has lost its function to carry her onward in the enjoyment of life and children and barn dances and young love and maturity, she succumbs to this realization while she is gazing at an edifice similarly struggling to survive in the industrialized world, to be sold off piece by piece until there is nothing left and its replaced by a cheap housing development or small mall...there is a beauty in their shared paralysis and breakdown as life moves on beyond them to another time they can not be a part of
I agree that the Faberge egg can symbolize womanhood. As such, the egg and carriage pair can be personified as Christina. To strengthen the argument would be to look at where the egg and carriage are positioned relative to the decomposing building: physically, it is on the left side of the painting; contextually, it seems to be resting lower than the building on a hill.

I like the point you bring up about paralysis; however, I think your other thoughts may need to percolate some more. Your humanization of the egg and carriage pair may be a bit too far on a limb. Although an egg can symbolize fertility, the use of a Faberge/jeweled egg may twist your interpretation given its historical significance and artificialness.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Ha! Oinkoink, i said i was only sharing the very condensed version.

I have thought about it.
decker3984
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:48 pm

You see...
I know there was hope for actual public discourse and discussion of ART not just conjecture about value on EB.
Deads I would give you and organ if we were a blood type match and it wasn't vital to my survival... OinkOink,
I don't know you nearly that well, but you seem pretty awesome! Thank you both. Deads, whether conscious,
subconscious or collective creative consciousness... I think you may be on to something! Now I really want to
know if Aaron is a fan of Wyeth. With the crumbling, decaying structure... *registered* as a historical landmark...
It makes me wonder if OTA is even an homage of sorts to the painting, but from a *possibly* male perspective.
Because OTA is Aaron's interpretation of the letter "F". So, MY title for the print / painting is "F is for Father".
The patriarch and progeny, standing as protectors / guardians of the plains. Hope I didn't get too carried away
with the alliteration there. :P

I love this place again. :heart:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
jools
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:27 pm

ok what's everyone's thoughts...35? (i really hope so, cos it would match my wbgjp) :twisted: dunno it's a 7 or a 9 though
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
Baker
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:59 pm

As someone who sees a lot of 9's (RO Number), that looks very similar to the 9 on my Tallow, so I am going with 9.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
jools
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 pm

ha yeah, when i first saw it i thought 35, but the more i look at it the more i've talked myself out of it hehe, i doubt i woulda been that fast on the drop anyways...the print is absolutely amazing anyways, so stoked to have scored this one
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
BadassArt
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Looks a lot like the 9 on my Horkey JP 139/220... Just got my copy I got off eBay... First time in a long time I've had to pay eBay prices but totally worth it... Closest I'll ever get to a painting by Aaron... Got 131/180
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Looks like a bean sprout to me.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Just erase it and put in a 3...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:25 pm

ajharrington321 wrote:Just erase it and put in a 3...
:lol:
So it goes...
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 pm

I love all this discussion about the painting.
Christina's World has always been one of my favorite paintings, since I was a teenager and first saw it as a print in a bookstore or somewhere.

To me, Croatoan speaks of things that we've lost and how unimportant things are in the end. The name speaks of the lost colony of Roanoke. Mysteriously vanished. No one knows why to this day. We're gone. Long gone by the looks of the decaying building in the background. The faberge egg, a symbol of wealth and beauty sits forgotten in it's cart. Once coveted, now a meaningless perch for an uncaring bird of prey.

That's what I see. I can't wait to see it in person.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 pm

RottenAtom wrote:This is a super interesting image and I would love to hear people's interpretations of it. Especially if any of the old heads have any knowledge or insight.
Posted back on 11/1. Thanks for coming through guys :pint:
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:37 am

Can't wait to see some of these get framed
jpfondu
Art Expert

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:19 am

jools wrote:ok what's everyone's thoughts...35? (i really hope so, cos it would match my wbgjp) :twisted: dunno it's a 7 or a 9 though
I don't think it's a 3. I have 39 and its pretty clear its a 3.
JasonSlc
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 pm

decker3984 wrote: Jason, let me just start by saying...
Thanks Decker, and same. I'm digging the back story info on Croatoan and some of the other the other work. I still haven't worked out a solid narrative for the actual image, but I love it for the fact that there is so much narrative possibility.